FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1435816-ba-fare-discounts-aarp-master-thread.html)

ironmouse Feb 6, 2013 9:30 am

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Just in case anyone is not aware of this, if you book a BA round trip originating in the US through the AARP link you get $130 discount on WT & WT+ and $400 on CW & F
No catches, and for $16 membership (ok you have to be over 50) definitely worth it, I've used theses fares a couple of times now.

tooblue Feb 6, 2013 9:41 am

Isn't it $65 discount for WT?

ironmouse Feb 6, 2013 9:58 am

Oh yes, correct, sorry about that should read:
$65 for WT
130 WT+
400 CW & F

jameslon Feb 6, 2013 11:42 am

More details here http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_us.

'But Hurry' as the page says :D:D

golfmad Feb 6, 2013 12:00 pm

50+ only! I'll have to wait a (short) while then.

It looks like roughly the same discount on a CW fare as the Chase 10% discount though and it doesn't look like the Chase discount will work with the discounted AARP fare either which is not unreasonable I suppose.

troyb Feb 6, 2013 12:19 pm

No so sure you need to be over 50 years old. I'm 29 and am an "Associate" member.

golfmad Feb 6, 2013 12:28 pm

Right enough. Thanks for that.

tooblue Feb 6, 2013 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 20197237)
50+ only! I'll have to wait a (short) while then.

It looks like roughly the same discount on a CW fare as the Chase 10% discount though and it doesn't look like the Chase discount will work with the discounted AARP fare either which is not unreasonable I suppose.

Hold on, neighbour (or should I say neighbor). I have successfully combined the AARP discount and the Chase 10% discount in the past. Maybe I shouldn't have been able but it all worked fine for me.

PanGalactic Feb 6, 2013 12:42 pm

Does the AARP member need to be traveling or can they book it for someone else too?

golfmad Feb 6, 2013 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 20197539)
Hold on, neighbour (or should I say neighbor). I have successfully combined the AARP discount and the Chase 10% discount in the past. Maybe I shouldn't have been able but it all worked fine for me.

Thanks!

I just tried it again and lo and behold this time it's come up OK. Usual fare approx $4,300

AARP fare -> Price (US Dollars, USD, $) $ 3,945.15
Chase discount -> Promotion value -$ 394.51
Total price to pay $ 3,550.64

That's roughly £2,200 in old money for IAH-ABZ return.

I'm guessing the answer is yes but is it possible to upgrade CW-F using Avios on these fares (subject to redemption space of course)?

tooblue Feb 6, 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 20197562)
Does the AARP member need to be traveling or can they book it for someone else too?

Hi Panny

Must be ex US. AARP Member must travel. No open jaws. Must be booked online. Must be paid in the mighty dollar.

tooblue Feb 6, 2013 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 20197583)
Thanks!

I just tried it again and lo and behold this time it's come up OK. Usual fare approx $4,300

AARP fare -> Price (US Dollars, USD, $) $ 3,945.15
Chase discount -> Promotion value -$ 394.51
Total price to pay $ 3,550.64

That's roughly £2,200 in old money for IAH-ABZ return.

I'm guessing the answer is yet but is it possible to upgrade CW-F using Avios on these fares (subject to redemption space of course)?

You bet you can. I had 1A & 1K MIA-LHR last year after using AARP & Chase and UuA during the Jubilee Sale. Barely paid enough to cover the cost of my pyjamas (Sorry neighbor/neighbour. I meant pajamas. ;))

golfmad Feb 6, 2013 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 20197645)
You bet you can. I had 1A & 1K MIA-LHR last year after using AARP & Chase and UuA during the Jubilee Sale. Barely paid enough to cover the cost of my pyjamas (Sorry neighbor/neighbour. I meant pajamas. ;))

As they say, timing is everything. Sounds like a great deal :)

Presumably you have to go back in and upgrade after booking? Can't see a way to do it during the booking process itself.

tooblue Feb 6, 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 20197743)
Presumably you have to go back in and upgrade after booking? Can't see a way to do it during the booking process itself.

That's what worked for me. The availability of 1A & 1K was just a bonus. Serendipity!

golfmad Feb 7, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks tooblue for your very timely advice and suggestions.

Just booked IAH-LHR-ABZ and back in CW with Chase discount and AARP discount for $3,552 (approx £2,260) with both transatlantic legs upgraded to F for 50,000 Avios and 1A reserved both ways.

Spent $16 on AARP membership to save $400 :)