Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by schertz
Interesting observation:

If the AARP discount is applied to a base fare of less than $65, it will drive the base fare to zero.

What makes it interesting is that this $0 base fare eliminates $36 r/t in US Transportation taxes. So for instance, on a $57 base fare (pre-discount), I actually saved around $93 with the discount.

Best
"The exclusive discounts as indicated on this offer page are available online to AARP members only via the dedicated link on this page when booking a round-trip through fare (round-trip flights with connection to final destination, separate tickets do not qualify for discount) from select US gateways to UK and beyond."

These are from the terms and conditions. Where are you going to find a round trip base fare of < $65? Perhaps I've misunderstood you?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by carrington1
Are full tier points and avios still earned if I take advantage of the aarp discount?
Yes
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: ba gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
"The exclusive discounts as indicated on this offer page are available online to AARP members only via the dedicated link on this page when booking a round-trip through fare (round-trip flights with connection to final destination, separate tickets do not qualify for discount) from select US gateways to UK and beyond."

These are from the terms and conditions. Where are you going to find a round trip base fare of < $65? Perhaps I've misunderstood you?
try bos/jfk-mad for 7 day trip in march the bf is $40

Last edited by a mirrer; Jan 30, 2017 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:02 am

Due to high carrier surcharges, economy fares may and do have low base fares at times
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Yes...I'm finding some from ORD to Northern Europe, 7 day stay, economy class.

$60 base fare + $250 BA surcharge + ~&150 in taxes/fees = all-in around $460.

With AARP I'm finding instances where the all-in drops to around $365

These price as a $0 base fare component + $250 BA surcharge + ~$115 in taxes/fees
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Have any BA Silver/Golds found the AARP discounted fares difficult to upgrade using Avios?

Specifically, is there any evidence these AARP-discount fares are treated different from a BA.com purchased ticket for Avios upgrade once they've been ticketed???
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond
I have been tracking an overseas biz class fare for about a month now. With and without the AARP discount (flights on Star Alliance booked through BA). This MORNING I was still showing the $400 discount, as was showing every day, but this AFTERNOON the discount dropped to $200. Any insight? I'm going to keep trying through the night & tomorrow since the discount ends tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by geo1005
Have any BA Silver/Golds found the AARP discounted fares difficult to upgrade using Avios?

Specifically, is there any evidence these AARP-discount fares are treated different from a BA.com purchased ticket for Avios upgrade once they've been ticketed???
Yes. I called the Gold line to upgrade 2 JFK-LHR CW tickets issued with the AARP discount to First, using Avios, just over a year ago. The availability was there but I was told, after a while on hold while the agent checked, that tickets issued on this particular discount are not eligible for Avios upgrade. I should add that I did not persevere and left it at that one call so whether it would have worked with another agent I do not know.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by squiddz
I have been tracking an overseas biz class fare for about a month now. With and without the AARP discount (flights on Star Alliance booked through BA). This MORNING I was still showing the $400 discount, as was showing every day, but this AFTERNOON the discount dropped to $200. Any insight? I'm going to keep trying through the night & tomorrow since the discount ends tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
I noticed the same. Unfortunately, this looks to be an intentional change. The splash page for AARP on BA web site appears to have changed...it now says:

Exclusive AARP member savings

$65* off for travel in World Traveller (economy)

$130* off for travel in World Traveller Plus (premium economy)

$200* off for travel in Club World (business class)

$200* off for travel in First

Book by December 31, 2017
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:22 am
Suspended

A discount of up to $200 which will be more than swallowed by seat fees, is not worth it.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
A discount of up to $200 which will be more than swallowed by seat fees, is not worth it.
It's better than no discount at all!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Originally Posted by geo1005

Just did this recently, booked IAH-LHR-CDG R/T, in WT+ and tried to upgrade to Club. Online showed the Avios & $$$ content, but it wouldn't allow me to complete the operation online, so called in. Agent was a little thrown at first, saying that the $$$ seemed too high, and so she queried it. Came back and confirmed same amount (about $700 rt) I assume that in the upgrade operation I lost the AARP discount, but happy enough with the deal overall, as WT+ has been surprisingly reasonable of late.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Hopefully a temporary issue:

Today, 9:15 AM EST I received this message on the landing page to book the AARP fares:

"We regret that the special discount offer is currently unavailable."
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It's better than no discount at all!
I rather fly the competition with a better and FREE seat than a worse seat that more than swallows the $200.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I rather fly the competition with a better and FREE seat than a worse seat that more than swallows the $200.
Then why would you even waste time tracking/replying to this thread?

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.