Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
When BA and AARP terminate the program, we will know who to thank.

Thank you for allowing airlines to get away with false advertising!

It would be one thing if they just didn't offer the $135 discount on WT+ or I would even accept them continuing promoting the discount but not putting the "Discount" label on the fares. Hey thats the way things go. But its super shady to advertise the discount, put a "Discount" label on it, but actually price it exactly the same (or even higher) than the public pricing.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by olouie

It would be one thing if they just didn't offer the $135 discount on WT+ or I would even accept them continuing promoting the discount but not putting the "Discount" label on the fares. Hey thats the way things go. But its super shady to advertise the discount, put a "Discount" label on it, but actually price it exactly the same (or even higher) than the public pricing.
Somehow I managed to get my fare a whole $15 less than what google flights showed originally... so I hope AARP enjoys the donation (since it was basically a wash)

Maybe better luck next year
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:48 am

I, like the vast majority of users, have saved hundreds of dollars through the AARP discount, which is essentially a freebie. (If you can't get $15 worth of vlue from your AARP membership fee, then you have other problems.)

Sure, the AARP discount has some technical quirks, but actually filing a complaint is certinly looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:30 am

I, like the vast majority of users, have saved hundreds of dollars through the AARP discount, which is essentially a freebie. (If you can't get $15 worth of vlue from your AARP membership fee, then you have other problems.)

Sure, the AARP discount has some technical quirks, but actually filing a complaint is certinly looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Sorry, but not going to agree with you here. If BA advertises a discount, claims it is giving you that discount, but doesn't actually give you the discount then its certainly worth a complaint. Its not a technical quirk if the discount never works on WTP fares. There is nothing to stop them from just doing the same to CW discount on AARP. Like I said, if they were honest about it and didn't slap a the "Discount" label on the fares when there is no discount then its all fair game. But to do so when there is no actual discount is super dishonest.

I wonder how many people would change their tune if suddenly this "technical quirk" was applied to all of the fares and not just WTP.

Last edited by olouie; Nov 15, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Are the Chase discount and AARP stills stackable, and plan to be going forward?

For a while I've been doing this with no problem. I just went to price up a February Club World (I Class) JFK-LON-JFK itinerary through the AARP portal and the discount. When I put in the CARDOFFERU discount code two errors flagged, one of which was saying that the offer code could not be used for these travel dates (at that time I figured out the Chase discount is yet to be extended for 2018!) but the other read, "Sorry, CARDOFFERU may not be used in conjunction with some discounted fares. Please refer to the promotion rules"

Is this accurate or just being flagged or for some reason because that discount code cannot yet be used on 2018 travel? I did do a dummy booking through AARP with the Chase discount for December travel and it did not flag when I put the Chase offer code in.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser

For a while I've been doing this with no problem. I just went to price up a February Club World (I Class) JFK-LON-JFK itinerary through the AARP portal and the discount. When I put in the CARDOFFERU discount code two errors flagged, one of which was saying that the offer code could not be used for these travel dates (at that time I figured out the Chase discount is yet to be extended for 2018!) but the other read, "Sorry, CARDOFFERU may not be used in conjunction with some discounted fares. Please refer to the promotion rules"

Is this accurate or just being flagged or for some reason because that discount code cannot yet be used on 2018 travel? I did do a dummy booking through AARP with the Chase discount for December travel and it did not flag when I put the Chase offer code in.
As recently as last week I stacked them both, for travel in 2017.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Fraser

Cardofferu is good lill 31 Dec 2017. Haven't load into 2018 yet. I had no problem to stack for flights in 2017.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...visa-signature
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

The sad thing is it's probably a programming error or bug, and we have no liaison who knows how to navigate BA to fix it. If there were a BA Insider who could get this in the right group's hands, it could probably be fixed in short order.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by channa
The sad thing is it's probably a programming error or bug, and we have no liaison who knows how to navigate BA to fix it. If there were a BA Insider who could get this in the right group's hands, it could probably be fixed in short order.
I don't know if "BA.com Official" is still active but you could try that.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:36 pm

FWIW it looks like the UK ASA is pretty worthless. Their resolution is to inform the advertiser about the issue, but since it’s a self regulatory group there is no enforcement or anything. The ASA replied that while they agreed there was an issue they could not do anything since BA was already made aware of of the inaccuracies before. So looks like it’s at the mercy of BA IT, who isn’t in any hurry to fix things.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:04 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
FWIW it looks like the UK ASA is pretty worthless. Their resolution is to inform the advertiser about the issue, but since it’s a self regulatory group there is no enforcement or anything. The ASA replied that while they agreed there was an issue they could not do anything since BA was already made aware of of the inaccuracies before. So looks like it’s at the mercy of BA IT, who isn’t in any hurry to fix things.
This is such a longstanding problem and many on this board have reported to both BA and AARP — neither seem able to solve it and there is general confusion suggesting they aren’t in a hurry and don’t care...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:53 pm

If I'm booking 3 tickets with BA, do I need every person to have an AARP account, and need to book each separately?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ameskay
If I'm booking 3 tickets with BA, do I need every person to have an AARP account, and need to book each separately?
No. Just sign in to AARP and use their portal, and you will get the discount (except when it isn't working properly).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche

No. Just sign in to AARP and use their portal, and you will get the discount (except when it isn't working properly).
Hey, a 0% discount is a 0% discount
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Did you know you can not upgrade with AVIOS or miles with these discounted tickets? I didn't. For that reason I for one will NEVER use this discount again. It was not clear in the terms and conditions at the time of sale. We are stuck in WTP even though a BA phone agent verbally promised us an upgrade with AVIOS. So I transfered some Amex MR points into AVIOS. Next she says opps sorry I can't do this. So angry. I did ask for a supervisor who proved BA deserves it reputation for poor service. So we have 60 k orphan AVIOS. Very unhappy about the bait and switch. Historically I have upgraded with AVIOS this very same ticket with the AARP discount WTP to CW last year. grumble grumble.

Yes I did book a WTP itinerary Yes it did save me a few dollars. I just went back to AARP link to BA and noticed there are no longer any discounts for WTP as of January 2018.

Last edited by ijkh; Jan 10, 2018 at 8:57 pm Reason: added history

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.