Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Peter M
IME BAEC policy is that you cannot use GUF2 or Avios to upgrade tickets with a chase 10% (and AARP?) discount. You must repay the amount of the ticket discount before the upgrade is processed. So it appears that no you can't get these discounts on tickets you plan to upgrade later.
Reporting back -

No experience with GUF2 but I was able to stack AARP disco with chase 10 AND successfully do UuA. YQ surcharge was a chunky bite but the stacked discounts made up for it.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Nov 6, 2014 at 11:18 am
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A few questions about this nice deal:

1. The T&C say, The exclusive discounts are based on round-trip purchase off any published retail World Traveller (economy), World Traveller Plus (Premium economy), Club World (business class) or First fares on ba.com via exclusive link, valid for outbound travel November 1, 2014 – March 31, 2016 on British Airways and British Airways codeshare services operated by American Airlines and on British Airways codeshare services operated by Iberia only. So if a fare includes travel on US (not as a code share), am I correct in concluding that the AARP discount does [U]not[U] apply?
2. Same question as #1, for if the itinerary includes Alaska Airlines.
3. You can have your spouse join AARP as part of your membership for free. If you do that, can s/he also get the $400 discount, so that if the two of you travel together you get a total savings of $800?
4. The name my wife uses for most identification is slightly different from what she has on her passport. (Long story.) Must her name in joining AARP be exactly the same as the passport (and thus her ticket) for her to qualify for the discount?

Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Reporting back -

No experience with GUF2 but I was able to stack AARP disco with chase 10 AND successfully do UuA. YQ surcharge was a chunky bite but the stacked discounts made up for it.
Congratulations, you were lucky.
I have to stop using GGL agents, they always clawed any discounts back before processing upgrades.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:56 pm

Thrilled to learn about the discounts from this thread. Have questions on both Chase and AARP.

1. The BA page states "Apply for the British Airways Visa® card today and once approved you can take advantage of this promotion."-- Does this mean it's possible to book tickets (and get the 10% off) with online approval but without having the card in possession?

2. About the AARP stack-on possibility-- if I book several tickets together, does the AARP discount apply to each ticket?

Last edited by harioh; Nov 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
AARP discount applies to all tickets on booking, you get $400 off per business class ticket on your booking, so great deal.

I'm getting an error on the Chase deal when I try to stack. In years past the Chase discount wasnt good beyond 31Dec of the current year, maybe that is the problem...

Originally Posted by harioh
Thrilled to learn about the discounts from this thread. Have questions on both Chase and AARP.

1. The BA page states "Apply for the British Airways Visa® card today and once approved you can take advantage of this promotion."-- Does this mean it's possible to book tickets (and get the 10% off) with online approval but without having the card in possession?

2. About the AARP stack-on possibility-- if I book several tickets together, does the AARP discount apply to each ticket?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
AARP discount applies to all tickets on booking, you get $400 off per business class ticket on your booking, so great deal.

I'm getting an error on the Chase deal when I try to stack. In years past the Chase discount wasnt good beyond 31Dec of the current year, maybe that is the problem...
Thank you! I am about to go off and join AARP now even though I won't be benefiting to the tune of n-times-$400!

Too bad about the Chase card because while waiting for a (your) reply, I actually signed up and got an instant approval. However, I see no way to take advantage of this discount unless I wait to receive the card in the mail, is that correct? (This will the bigger discount for me than AARP)
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by harioh
Too bad about the Chase card because while waiting for a (your) reply, I actually signed up and got an instant approval. However, I see no way to take advantage of this discount unless I wait to receive the card in the mail, is that correct? (This will the bigger discount for me than AARP)
You can't take advantage of the 10% discount until there's an association between your BAEC account and the Chase credit card. Without this, the CARDOFFERU promotion card will not work so I suspect you need to wait until some automated communication has taken place between the Chase and BA database systems. This doesn't mean you actually have to have the card in hand (although of course you will need to be able to pay using the card to take advantage of the promotion code) but the card will have to be linked to your BAEC account for it to work.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:37 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
harioh will need to have received and 'activated' the card. Until it arrives, he/she won't know the three digit security code.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IMH
harioh will need to have received and 'activated' the card. Until it arrives, he/she won't know the three digit security code.
Good point!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Peter M
Congratulations, you were lucky.
I have to stop using GGL agents, they always clawed any discounts back before processing upgrades.
Yep, no GGL here. Although I was having issues with surcharges related to UuA (seperate issue) so I ended up doing HUACA several times. None of the agents ever raised the issue on discounted fare.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:52 pm

Here is a scenario.

I have BA chase card and want to book a ticket for my friend. I wont be traveling with him.

In the past I have used 10% visa discount for him. Is there a way to combine AARP with visa 10% for him? I or him can get aarp membership.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:04 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stevester
I have BA chase card and want to book a ticket for my friend. I wont be traveling with him.
[...]
Is there a way to combine AARP with visa 10% for him?
Not within the terms and conditions of the offers.

The Chase BA Visa offer includes the phrase "Cardholder must travel to qualify for the 10% discount" and the AARP offer states "Customer must be an AARP member or must travel with an AARP member to be eligible for this exclusive offer".

You might be able to trick the system into letting you book what you want, but there would be at least some risk of your friend not being able to travel.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
Not within the terms and conditions of the offers.

The Chase BA Visa offer includes the phrase "Cardholder must travel to qualify for the 10% discount" and the AARP offer states "Customer must be an AARP member or must travel with an AARP member to be eligible for this exclusive offer".

You might be able to trick the system into letting you book what you want, but there would be at least some risk of your friend not being able to travel.
I have purchased several tickets for friends using both of these discounts, with no problems arising at time of travel.

Just last week, I used the AARP portal for a friend, and then applied the Chase 10% discount code. Both worked.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I have purchased several tickets for friends using both of these discounts, with no problems arising at time of travel.

Just last week, I used the AARP portal for a friend, and then applied the Chase 10% discount code. Both worked.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Thanks for the data point.

So do you login with your AARP id and then to your BA Exec account to book the ticket?

Alternately, I could login from my friend's AARP id and then to my BA Exec account. Not sure which is safer.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:09 pm

Yes, I logged in to AARP, clicked on the link for the BA discount, which took me to the BA site (with discounted prices displayed), selected a flight, then entered the Chase 10% promotional code, and then received the additional discount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.