Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:46 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I have purchased several tickets for friends using both of these discounts, with no problems arising at time of travel.
I don't doubt it. I only cautioned that there is some (unknowable but probably small) risk associated with doing this. That remains true.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
I don't doubt it. I only cautioned that there is some (unknowable but probably small) risk associated with doing this. That remains true.
That's why I said, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IMH
That's why I said, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
I'm with IMH here. As it directly contravenes two clauses in the terms and conditions I'd be very uncomfortable doing it on the basis that the people for whom you've been booking travel could rightly have their tickets cancelled on arrival at the airport. I suppose we each determine our own level of acceptable risk. This would be beyond my threshold but each to their own.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
This is kind of a dumb question. Can I still credit the miles to AA if then tickets are purchased with combined AARP and 10% chase credit card discount?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
This is kind of a dumb question. Can I still credit the miles to AA if then tickets are purchased with combined AARP and 10% chase credit card discount?
Yes to everything. I did it in December.

For 10% discount, it should be all BA metal. If there are any codeshares operated by other airline, 10% disco won't work.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Yes to everything. I did it in December.

For 10% discount, it should be all BA metal. If there are any codeshares operated by other airline, 10% disco won't work.
Would using these discounts and adding my AA number work for a Platinum Challenge?
Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:18 pm

It seems AARP discounted tickets cannot be held for 72 hours. Anyone find a workaround to this?
Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by chaoslimits
It seems AARP discounted tickets cannot be held for 72 hours. Anyone find a workaround to this?
Thanks.
As a member of AARP, perhaps BA's actuarial tables suggest that 72 hours is beyond your life expectancy......
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
As a member of AARP, perhaps BA's actuarial tables suggest that 72 hours is beyond your life expectancy......

Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:20 pm

Ha. My actuary girlfriend will get a laugh out of that.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Is it possible that the rules have now changed? I signed up to AARP, and being a non-US citizen, registered to my home address abroad and paid my $28 as a foreign member. Now I cannot get the ba.com/aarp site to validate my membership and let me through to try and book.

When I checked the T&Cs, I noticed this:

"This exclusive AARP member offer is open to US residents paying in US dollars only, with travel originating in the US."

Are these conditions new requirements?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by frb98mf
Is it possible that the rules have now changed? I signed up to AARP, and being a non-US citizen, registered to my home address abroad and paid my $28 as a foreign member. Now I cannot get the ba.com/aarp site to validate my membership and let me through to try and book.

When I checked the T&Cs, I noticed this:

"This exclusive AARP member offer is open to US residents paying in US dollars only, with travel originating in the US."

Are these conditions new requirements?
Certainly it was always required that travel originates in the US; therefore payment would be in USD. Not sure about residency requirements.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
AARP now HBO

I just made a reservation for ORD to MAN in CW using the AARP discount and it has now become an HBO fare. The first bag is $30 each way and additional bags are $84 if booked online or $100 for any at the airport. Still a good deal and I am still allowed to reserve seats free as Silver.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I just made a reservation for ORD to MAN in CW using the AARP discount and it has now become an HBO fare. The first bag is $30 each way and additional bags are $84 if booked online or $100 for any at the airport. Still a good deal and I am still allowed to reserve seats free as Silver.
Has this happened to anyone else? This sounds like a glitch. CW passengers get free checked baggage. In fact, I think BA offers HBO fares only on Euro Traveler routes.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]Has this happened to anyone else? This sounds like a glitch. CW passengers get free checked baggage. In fact, I think BA offers HBO fares only on Euro Traveler routes.
It will be nice if it is a glitch. It showed up even if I priced ORD-LHR on its own so it wasn't linked from LHR-MAN but it wouldn't be a surprise if ba.com was inventing its own rules! The initial AARP cover page still showed the advantages of flying BA as including one free bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.