Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Not really the correct thread but there isn't an ex-US sale thread. BA seem to have quite a good CW sale for 2 out of the US at present - book by July 12 and fly July 12 to May 31. A (possibly last) chance to take advantage of the AARP discount as well.
Do you have a link to the BA 2xJ sale?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hiima
Ummm... it's literally on the BA homepage...

Regards
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
The key is to search for a booking for 2 on BA.com. At least for me there is an ad on the home page.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:33 pm

Yesterday I happened to notice that they have now pulled the "purchase by" date in yet again, from July 31st to July 21st...

Regards
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Yesterday I happened to notice that they have now pulled the "purchase by" date in yet again, from July 31st to July 21st...

Regards
Well, barring a last minute stay of execution, it looks like this discount program ends tomorrow...

Regards
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:45 pm

Well, barring a last minute stay of execution, it looks like this discount program ends tomorrow...
I didn't notice when it happened but they did increase the WT and WTP discounts to $100 and $200 respectively at some point. It would be nice if they replaced it with a plain senior discount, say for people 75 and over to pick a totally random starting age
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM

Regards
That really sucks, I really liked this with the Turkey day sales
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Regards
Stunningly, the AARP website shows March 31, 2017 as the deadline for booking flights. I believe that BA offered a short-term promo, increasing the discount for WT and WT+ bookings and possibly in response to the Brexit vote, and probably got enough response that they decided that these increased discounts would expire tomorrow.

I think it's very likely that the regular discounts that we've seen will continue at least until March 31, 2017. Given that these discounts have generally expired in the latter part of the calendar year, I wouldn't be surprised to see that this promotion might permanently end as of March 31, 2017--especially since every American blogger has made a point of pushing that AARP itself does not require that you actually be old enough to be a senior to join their organization and get the discount. I suspect BA doesn't like how the numbers have panned out and thus might be willing to end their association with AARP.

BA/Chase still offer the 10% discount off flights for having their card. I suspect this will continue because unlike many of the US airline credit cards that offer extra perks for holding them, such as priority boarding and free bags, the BA card now offers nothing other than a 1 Avios per dollar spent earnings rate in addition to that discount (3X Avios on BA bookings, of course). Eliminate the discount and there are many other avenues in the US for earning currency that converts into Avios at a more advantageous rate--such as Chase Ultimate Rewards, which can be earned in many circumstances at a better than 1/1 ratio, and the Amex SPG card which can convert 20K Starpoints to 25K Avios.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Stunningly, the AARP website shows March 31, 2017 as the deadline for booking flights.
I don't see an explicit purchase by date on AARP. The mention of March 31 is a bit ambiguous but that is the depart by date on the BA web site. AARP is still showing the old WT/WTP discounts.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:06 am

Discount extended to October - now 65 / 130 / 400 / 400 discount depending on class.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Discount extended to October - now 65 / 130 / 400 / 400 discount depending on class.
Very interesting. I wonder what caused them to jerk the date around as it was originally at October to begin with. Then they pulled into July 31st, then they pulled in again to July 21st and it was still that when I turned in last night.

Weird... but glad it's still in play!

Regards
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Where did you find that? Under Restrictions on the AARP site, I can only find where they say "valid through March 31, 2017 on British Airways and British Airways codeshare services operated by American Airlines and on British Airways codeshare services operated by Iberia only. "

I believe that is a must fly by date. I can't find a must book by date.
Appreciate the help.
Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Where did you find that? Under Restrictions on the AARP site, I can only find where they say "valid through March 31, 2017 on British Airways and British Airways codeshare services operated by American Airlines and on British Airways codeshare services operated by Iberia only. "

I believe that is a must fly by date. I can't find a must book by date.
Appreciate the help.
Thanks
It's on the BA page: http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...ember-benefits

It looks as if they had a bigger discount for WT/WTP for a short time and have now gone back to the original plan - and will perhaps extend it as usual.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Thanks. Now if they'll only extend the Mar 31 2017 fly by date....
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
AARP Discount Extended till October

Duplicated earlier post

Last edited by nonesuch flyer; Jul 23, 2016 at 12:46 am Reason: Duplicated earlier post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.