Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: S_W_S
European BA destinations without lounge access.
As investigated by FlyerTalk's very own c-w-s. (See post.)

No lounge, and no other lounge in airport: Typically these airports also have very limited facilities airside
BGO, BIA, BIQ, CFU, CHQ, CMF, EFL, EGC, FDH, FSC, FUE, GNB, GRX, JSI, JTR, KGS, KLX, LEI, LIG, MAH, MJV, NTE, OVD, PUY (their VIP lounge isn't available to passengers), PVK, UIP, ZTH (LCY has an external lounge in a separate building, so in the CIP category).

No lounge, but vouchers provided
LPA perhaps temporarily as of 1 May 2019

No lounge for BA, but there is for other airlines / Priority Pass
ACE, CAG (see this post), CGN (route suspended), FNC, HER (lounge opening times restricted), HUY (route suspended), KRK, OLB (BA charter CE can use lounge however), OPO, NUE (lounge is airside but register landside) Lounge at NUE now available to BA PAX (see this post), PMO (lounge closed until end of 2022), SKG , SPU, STR, SVQ. For RHO (see this post), TLL (route suspended).

No lounge for BA, but airport CIP lounge available
BDS (but very limited in scope, €25 online), BJV (€25 walk up fee), JMK (also PP), LCY (separate building), MPL (€18),

New routes with lounge
AAL, BIO, FLR, INV, KRK, VLC.

Print Wikipost

BA Lounge Database | Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
MLA Lounge Questions

I have had a quick search and just want to clarify two questions if anyone can help please.
  1. We shall be travelling HBO. Do we need to still visit the check in / bag drop desks first to obtain a lounge pass before going through security?
  2. I understand that the lounge is before passport control for non-Schengen. Any feedback on when to leave the lounge to get through to the gate?
Many thanks .
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Flying VIE-LHR soon in CE. Doing the research, it looks like I would use the Air Lounge that is by the D gates.
Can someone confirm?
Thank you
Yes. Note that:
  • The lounge is past the passport check (leaving Schengen zone) but VIE has security at the gate and it is none too swift so you can’t go from lounge to gate quickly.
  • There are two lounges, past the passport check, and the main signs lead to the Austrian Airlines and Star Alliance lounge. The AIR lounge is slightly before the Star lounge and is a single closed door in the wall.
  • There is near bugger-all F&B beyond security, only a vending machine for popular soft drinks and water. There are toilets.
  • The lounge only does hot food after 17:00, before that it is soup, crisps, bread and salad only. Other food options past passport control are weak - sandwiches with a variety of fillings with cheese, pretzels, etc.
  • The lounge does have some good regional beer.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Thank you flatlander especially the heads up on security at the gates. What do they do, a passport/id check or full blown security checking bags etc?
We have an early flight (7:30 ish) so probably won't spend too much time in the lounge especially now if we have to get in queue at the gate.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Thank you flatlander especially the heads up on security at the gates. What do they do, a passport/id check or full blown security checking bags etc?
We have an early flight (7:30 ish) so probably won't spend too much time in the lounge especially now if we have to get in queue at the gate.
Security is at the gate, not passport control (you will have gone through that before getting to the lounge)
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
Security is at the gate, not passport control (you will have gone through that before getting to the lounge)
Thank you. This is very helpful. I never would have know this. I'm used to going thru security then heading to a lounge and eventually right to the gate. This seems like it makes it difficult to gauge the amount of time needed to go from the lounge into the gate area .
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Flying VIE-LHR soon in CE. Doing the research, it looks like I would use the Air Lounge that is by the D gates.
Can someone confirm?
Thank you
Hi,

I'm off to VIE on Friday and back Monday and will report back

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Thank you. This is very helpful. I never would have know this. I'm used to going thru security then heading to a lounge and eventually right to the gate. This seems like it makes it difficult to gauge the amount of time needed to go from the lounge into the gate area .
I got back from my first visit to VIE today and it was also a surprise for me (my opinions on this probably belong in another thread). It largely negated the convenient lounge positioning.

Yes, it does make it hard to time your lounge to gate exit. I might recommend leaving the lounge 45-50 minutes before departure, as long as the aircraft was on stand at the expected arrival time of the inbound, which should see you about at the head of the queue for security by the time the aircraft begins boarding. If you're a "board last" sort of person obviously that won't do, but unless your timing is excellent you'll end up standing in a queue for security screening and then boarding last. Given all that, since I'd rather sit in an aircraft seat than stand in a queue and I suspect most people also would, even if the lounge is preferable to both of these, I suggest the aforementioned 45-50 minutes.

This is the full, and only, security screening you will go through. No liquids except in STEB bag, etc. Full-on patdown if you ping the metal detector.

Also something that may be useful about getting to the airport: the exit from the train station (CAT or U-Bahn S7) comes out near Terminal 3. While you may have arrived into VIE and felt like you came to the train station from Terminal 3 based on how you walked, BA actually checks in at Terminal 1 which is a non-trivial walk from the train station. At one point you'll be in an area with construction and no clear signage, continue on past the construction and you'll find the T1/1A checkin areas (if you need to check anything in). We may be drifting off a "lounge" thread at this point.

Last edited by flatlander; Jan 22, 2020 at 5:16 pm Reason: add security details
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
I got back from my first visit to VIE today and it was also a surprise for me (my opinions on this probably belong in another thread). It largely negated the convenient lounge positioning.

Yes, it does make it hard to time your lounge to gate exit. I might recommend leaving the lounge 45-50 minutes before departure, as long as the aircraft was on stand at the expected arrival time of the inbound, which should see you about at the head of the queue for security by the time the aircraft begins boarding. If you're a "board last" sort of person obviously that won't do, but unless your timing is excellent you'll end up standing in a queue for security screening and then boarding last. Given all that, since I'd rather sit in an aircraft seat than stand in a queue and I suspect most people also would, even if the lounge is preferable to both of these, I suggest the aforementioned 45-50 minutes.

This is the full, and only, security screening you will go through. No liquids except in STEB bag, etc. Full-on patdown if you ping the metal detector.

Also something that may be useful about getting to the airport: the exit from the train station (CAT or U-Bahn S7) comes out near Terminal 3. While you may have arrived into VIE and felt like you came to the train station from Terminal 3 based on how you walked, BA actually checks in at Terminal 1 which is a non-trivial walk from the train station. At one point you'll be in an area with construction and no clear signage, continue on past the construction and you'll find the T1/1A checkin areas (if you need to check anything in). We may be drifting off a "lounge" thread at this point.
Thanks again. No worries about drifting off topic. I appreciate the information. Since I have such an early a.m. flight, my plan was to take a taxi from the hotel to the airport where I figure I'd get dropped off at the correct terminal for BA. I'm reading your post and trying to visualize the process. What I take from this is they do the screening as they call boarding vs. getting screened to go sit in the gate area and wait for boarding. If that's the process I guess they don't do priority boarding for CE, OW Elites etc? Everyone just queues in the security line.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot

Hi,

I'm off to VIE on Friday and back Monday and will report back

Regards

TBS
Hi TBS
Just wondering how you made out traveling back from VIE? How was the lounge/security at the gate experience?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Prospero
RTM Rotterdam
Originally Posted by nldogbert
For those flying out of RTM and are eligible for lounge access, since there is no lounge, you are provided with a voucher from BA. However do take care based on my recent experience that the staff at the restaurant might or might not follow exactly what is written on the card. I recently had a heated discussion with them when I took the 3 snacks and 1 beverage as stated on the card. I was told that I was only limited to 3 items (independent if it was snack or beverage) and with a value of up to 15 Euros ( no where on the card was written about either of this).
A couple of updates:-
  1. The voucher system continues to operate in the temporary departure hall. There is now only a self-service restaurant there, but it has quite a reasonable selection of food and drink and (although I haven't been a RTM regular) I doubt that it's substantially more limited than what used to be available in the main terminal building.
  2. IIRC, the voucher now says three items up to €15, which sounds like it may have been updated since nldogbert's visit to correct the position. The voucher also says that the eligible items are marked with a BA logo, but as far as I could see, none of the price tickets showed this - but it didn't seem to be a problem.
Sadly, the impressions on the RTM website of the finished main terminal building suggest that the outdoor terrace area(s) may be less congenial than they used to be. Sitting out in the open air with a beer was something to look forward to ... although perhaps not in February.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Visiting DUB for the first time in a few weeks as part of an exEU itinerary. Does the executive lounge have views of the apron or runway? We have a few hours to kill after our positioning flight and Miss T is a keen ‘spotter’!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Visiting DUB for the first time in a few weeks as part of an exEU itinerary. Does the executive lounge have views of the apron or runway? We have a few hours to kill after our positioning flight and Miss T is a keen ‘spotter’!
Unfortunately it's inside, no views. Aer Lingus' lounge is better for that but you won't be able to access that with a BA or BACF operated service. It's an OK lounge but not for an extended period (and the e-gates won't let you in too early either).
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unfortunately it's inside, no views. Aer Lingus' lounge is better for that but you won't be able to access that with a BA or BACF operated service. It's an OK lounge but not for an extended period (and the e-gates won't let you in too early either).
Thank you, c-w-s, we will plan accordingly.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
TGD Podgorica
New route starts July 2020. Lounge provision TBC
Is there any update yet on lounge provision for this airport please, thinking of going in July? Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paulaf
Is there any update yet on lounge provision for this airport please, thinking of going in July? Thanks
There is nothing showing in my reservation. My hunch is that there will be a lounge provision, since the one and only lounge in Podgorica is owned by the airport. Even by the standards of the region, it's pretty poor, just ssome comfy chairs and a limited range of food and drink. It's quite small, just some glass / plasterboard panels separate it from the main departure hall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.