FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Lounge Database | Europe
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:14 am
BMWMOT

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by flatlander
I got back from my first visit to VIE today and it was also a surprise for me (my opinions on this probably belong in another thread). It largely negated the convenient lounge positioning.

Yes, it does make it hard to time your lounge to gate exit. I might recommend leaving the lounge 45-50 minutes before departure, as long as the aircraft was on stand at the expected arrival time of the inbound, which should see you about at the head of the queue for security by the time the aircraft begins boarding. If you're a "board last" sort of person obviously that won't do, but unless your timing is excellent you'll end up standing in a queue for security screening and then boarding last. Given all that, since I'd rather sit in an aircraft seat than stand in a queue and I suspect most people also would, even if the lounge is preferable to both of these, I suggest the aforementioned 45-50 minutes.

This is the full, and only, security screening you will go through. No liquids except in STEB bag, etc. Full-on patdown if you ping the metal detector.

Also something that may be useful about getting to the airport: the exit from the train station (CAT or U-Bahn S7) comes out near Terminal 3. While you may have arrived into VIE and felt like you came to the train station from Terminal 3 based on how you walked, BA actually checks in at Terminal 1 which is a non-trivial walk from the train station. At one point you'll be in an area with construction and no clear signage, continue on past the construction and you'll find the T1/1A checkin areas (if you need to check anything in). We may be drifting off a "lounge" thread at this point.
Thanks again. No worries about drifting off topic. I appreciate the information. Since I have such an early a.m. flight, my plan was to take a taxi from the hotel to the airport where I figure I'd get dropped off at the correct terminal for BA. I'm reading your post and trying to visualize the process. What I take from this is they do the screening as they call boarding vs. getting screened to go sit in the gate area and wait for boarding. If that's the process I guess they don't do priority boarding for CE, OW Elites etc? Everyone just queues in the security line.