Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lloyds Avios credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Apologies for coming to this thread late (co-incidentally I was away spending my BA Miles, as they were, at the time )

I notice that they've dropped the "first year half-price" fee, so it's now just simply £50 for the LTSB AMEX Premier. So, let's do some numbers:

Cost: £50 fee
Benefit:
  • 2,000 bonus Avios (December - February)
  • Given my usual CC spend, 30-40k Avios from the 10x offer!
  • Spend another £80 on 1 March for another 2,000 Avios.
  • [If I was desperate, £30 fee for transferring £1,000 from another card gaining 1,500 Avios. Hmmm, not so sure about that one.]

With Christmas coming up as well, I reckon that could be a not-impossible 50k Avios for a £50 spend! Looks good to me; what do you fine folks reckon?

I'm a bit concerned about one thing, though:

You can take part in this promotion as long as you are an Avios member who has collected one Airmile/Avios in the 12 months before 1 December 2011.
Well, I've been a BAEC member for years, but does that count? If not, I can always apply in the gf's name. She has both a BAEC and an old Airmiles account and isn't Euro-cheating either, which may make a difference.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by dark_horse
I'm a bit concerned about one thing, though:
You can take part in this promotion as long as you are an Avios member who has collected one Airmile/Avios in the 12 months before 1 December 2011.
Well, I've been a BAEC member for years, but does that count? If not, I can always apply in the gf's name. She has both a BAEC and an old Airmiles account and isn't Euro-cheating either, which may make a difference.
You've illuminated one of the absurdities of IAG using the word Avios to refer to just about any mention of loyalty rewards.

In this case, 'this promotion' refers to members of the former Airmiles scheme now avios.com, as does the reference to having collected one Airmile/Avios. Your BAEC account which now earns Avios doesn't qualify.

If your girlfriend's ex-Airmiles account has earned one Airmile/Avios in the 12 months to 1.12.11, she would qualify for the promotion. Otherwise not.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the other thread someone, littlefish i think, confirmed that a transfer from BA EC would count as a 1 credit. So all you need to do is transfer 1 points unsing combine my points.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by origin
On the other thread someone, littlefish i think, confirmed that a transfer from BA EC would count as a 1 credit. So all you need to do is transfer 1 points unsing combine my points.
... BUT your avios.com account must be open, and have 1 point in it, by 1st December.

I am not totally convinced that littlefish was advised correctly, but as he has it in writing he will be OK! It is likely, in reality, that the Avios computer is not able to discriminate between accounts that 'earned' 1 Avios and those which simply got one transferred in. And the wording is suitable vague:

"Q: What is the Reward Flight Saver?

A: Reward Flight Saver is our way of rewarding our Regular Collectors. And it's available in our most popular Zones.

Here's how it works:
If you collect 1 Avios (or more) in the 12 months before booking a British Airways or Iberia flight to Zone 1, 2 or 3, you'll only pay the Avios fare and £27 pp return (£34 for premium) - and we'll pay the airline taxes, fees and charges for you."

and from the T&C's:

"Part M – Reward Flight Saver Terms and Conditions
The Reward Flight Saver "RFS" is available to Avios members who have earned at least one Avios Point in the 12 months prior to booking a flight under the RFS. The RFS entitles Regular Collectors making a reward booking (including an Avios & Money booking) to pay a setflat cash price in respect of taxes, fees and charges on a qualifying flight, (the “RFS Flat Cash Price”), in place of the actual taxes, fees and charges applicable to the booking."
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with everything you say. I normally use the airmiles for shopping. However airmiles computers might not be able to tell where the input has come from. So any input might be okay.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:37 am
Suspended

OK, so either I or the gf try and earn one Avios today or tomorrow (which could be tricky as purchases "may take up to 35 days to be credited") or...

...I miss out on about 4k Avios. Not the end of the world, I suppose, when placed again the 40k still likely to be earned via the AMEX 10x offer.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OK, so either I or the gf try and earn one Avios today or tomorrow (which could be tricky as purchases "may take up to 35 days to be credited") or...

...I miss out on about 4k Avios. Not the end of the world, I suppose, when placed again the 40k still likely to be earned via the AMEX 10x offer.
Its not possible. All you can do (which is what I have done) is transfer 1 Avios from BAEC to avios.com, and then do a Tesco transfer in Q1 via Avios and see if you get the 2k. If you do then you can go full steam ahead in Q2-4.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Having looked through the T&Cs, I can't see anything about there being a restriction on who can get this (as suggested above, it was only open to those who had the airmiles version of Avios).

As far as I can tell, it's basically 10x Avios on your spending for 3 months for anyone who is approved. As I'm on the brink of an Amex 241 anyway, it will be a useful way to top up my miles.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Horris
Having looked through the T&Cs, I can't see anything about there being a restriction on who can get this (as suggested above, it was only open to those who had the airmiles version of Avios).

As far as I can tell, it's basically 10x Avios on your spending for 3 months for anyone who is approved. As I'm on the brink of an Amex 241 anyway, it will be a useful way to top up my miles.
You are referring to a different offer
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
You are referring to a different offer
Yep, just to be clear (and for my own thought process too, in case anyone wants to correct me), there are two offers:
  • 2,000 bonus Avios per quarter for starting a new relationship with a company (LloydsTSB, Shell, Tesco and BA) based on a minimum spend. It's a bit confusing but this one is open only to ex-Airmiles users or, potentially, Avios.com members who can get a single Avios into their account by the end of tomorrow;
  • 10x Avios bonus (i.e.: 12.5 Avios per £ spent) for three months for taking out a LloydsTSB AMEX card, which also might have benefits as per point one. [There's also a 2-4-1 available on this card with £15k spend, but it's redeemable in Y only]

I've just opened an Avios.com account, and will transfer a BAEC Avios across and hope it works. If not, well at least Avios.com provides a few extra options for earning opportunities...

[...and part of me thinks that, given that Avios is likely to be much bigger than BAEC alone, there will be a greater number of times when the company offering Avios points gets it slightly wrong and hands out probably more than they intended to! ]
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:58 am

Thanks for the clarification. I opened an avios.com account last night and transferred over 5 BA miles (they showed up this morning) so will see if the bonuses accrue, but not too concerned with this offer.

It's the 12.5 avios per £ for 3 months that I find far more interesting!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
  • 10x Avios bonus (i.e.: 12.5 Avios per £ spent) for three months
It's the 12.5 avios per £ for 3 months that I find far more interesting!
Has anyone managed to confirm that it is in fact 12.5 Avios per £1?

The T&C that I see expressly say 10 Avios per £1.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Has anyone managed to confirm that it is in fact 12.5 Avios per £1?

The T&C that I see expressly say 10 Avios per £1.
From the T&Cs it says:

Eligible spend on the Duo Avios American Express card during the Qualifying period will collect 12.5 Avios points per £1.

So definitely 12.5 Avios for first 3 months.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: GGL
From the T&Cs it says:

Eligible spend on the Duo Avios American Express card during the Qualifying period will collect 12.5 Avios points per £1.

It also says 10 per pound during first three months, so seems capped at 10.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Has anyone managed to confirm that it is in fact 12.5 Avios per £1? The T&C that I see expressly say 10 Avios per £1.
I think they must have been amended.

From the T&Cs it says:

They now read "Eligible spend on the Duo Avios American Express card during the Qualifying period will collect 12.5 Avios points per £1" ie 10 x 1.25, and no mention of 10 points per £.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.