Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lloyds Avios credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Applied last week and got my PIN number today so will probably get the card/s in the next day or two.

When a institution does a credit check they can't see if you pay your balance in full each month all they see is if you paid on time, they can't tell how much.

They also score you on how much credit you have access to. If you've got several cards with 6 or 7k limits on each then this means you could potentially have access to 40 - 50k in credit. It might not mean that you have borrowed that much but you could, instantly..

They will look at this and your income and this will give them a % age if it's too high then they will reject you.

I got quite a nice starting balance on mine which means I wont have to be paying it off every week to keep using it.

On a side note, how many avios do you get on the Mastercard?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
A fifth of whatever you would get for the corresponding Amex transaction.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:06 pm

cannot apply

After my rejection i got my wife to apply when she got home from work tonight but when she clicks on the apply button it just loads up the same page again??? Does anyone else have this problem?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by stifle
These are acquisition offers, which I suppose is why Lloyds doesn't offer them to existing customers. I believe (but am not sure) that you can reapply straight away but you will only get a bonus if the card has been fully closed for three clear months before you reapply.
Mrs P will apply on 25/02/12, cutting it fine but fingers crossed

Exactly 3 calendar months will have passed since their letter says her Aviosless Lloyds mastercard has been cancelled from and 3 days before the Avios offer runs out.

If they reject her, I will plague our personal/business manager until he gets me what I want. It works 97% of the time.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy
Hi all

First time poster on FT!

I have been weighing up either going for Lloyds Avios cards/ Lloyds Premier Avios or the BA Amex.

I know the Lloyds are new to the market and I know (if you sign up through avios.com) that you cna get a lot more bonus Avios than with BA Amex.

However all the talk on this thread seems to point to a lot of rejections to people applying for the Lloyds card.

In my new role I am likely to be travelling a fair amount and it would be good to put all my expenses on one of these cards to increase my BAEC points.

Any advice from those more experienced?

Thanks in advance!
Get both. The Lloyds Premier Duo 12.5 Avios per £ is a good deal, but only earns at this rate for 3 months. Thereafter it falls to 1.25 per £. You can them use the BA Amex Premium Plus, which earns 1.5 Avios per £ (and 3 Avios per £ on BA fares) and a 2-4-1 voucher if you spend £10000 in a year which gives you a free seat when you use Avios to buy a seat. This works in any class. The Lloyds card gives you a voucher but only in economy IIRC. If you get the Amex, then you might as well dump the Lloyds card after the first three months.

And Amex will give you a free supplementary card in the same account if you would like to keep your business expenses separate.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by SteveF
1.4% I think .
That does suck, but it would be a reasonably worthwhile thing to do for those on the 10X avios deal.

250 avios per £1.40 surcharge is not bad.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
That does suck, but it would be a reasonably worthwhile thing to do for those on the 10X avios deal.

250 avios per £1.40 surcharge is not bad.
I'm pretty sure that you only get the 10x Avios bonus on the Amex.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Olly-
I'm pretty sure that you only get the 10x Avios bonus on the Amex.
Correct.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by smashie
After my rejection i got my wife to apply when she got home from work tonight but when she clicks on the apply button it just loads up the same page again??? Does anyone else have this problem?
I think everyone does. They were supposed to fix it today, but didn't.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:33 pm
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Get both. The Lloyds Premier Duo 12.5 Avios per £ is a good deal, but only earns at this rate for 3 months. Thereafter it falls to 1.25 per £. You can them use the BA Amex Premium Plus, which earns 1.5 Avios per £ (and 3 Avios per £ on BA fares) and a 2-4-1 voucher if you spend £10000 in a year which gives you a free seat when you use Avios to buy a seat. This works in any class. The Lloyds card gives you a voucher but only in economy IIRC. If you get the Amex, then you might as well dump the Lloyds card after the first three months.

And Amex will give you a free supplementary card in the same account if you would like to keep your business expenses separate.
Thanks for the advice but I don't want to overdo the card applications and damage my credit rating.

I received my referral email for Amex Platinum card with 42,000 MR points bonus (=42,000 avios) which costs £300. But if I spend £1,500 and receive the bonus points, I can then choose to cancel the card and receive a pro-rata refund of the card fee (i.e. £225 back).

Pretty good deal. I am waiting to hear by post if I have been approved - they couldnt give me an instant online decision (doesnt bode amazingly well!)

Thanks for advice though
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy

Pretty good deal. I am waiting to hear by post if I have been approved - they couldnt give me an instant online decision (doesnt bode amazingly well!)

Thanks for advice though
Dont worry about that, it happens all the time, the next thing you hear from them will probably be by post.

If you are impatient, it wont do any harm to call them to check they got the application through OK and whether they require any further info.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by stifle
These are acquisition offers, which I suppose is why Lloyds doesn't offer them to existing customers. I believe (but am not sure) that you can reapply straight away but you will only get a bonus if the card has been fully closed for three clear months before you reapply.
Can anyone confirm/shed more light on the 3 month requirement?

I'm kicking myself for getting a Lloyds Duo Airmiles account (the basic one) just before Avios-day in November. No introductory bonus whatsoever [hangs head in shame!], but I wanted to get an Airmiles account up and running asap in case I needed to move fast to take full advantage of any "combine my Avios" loopholes in the early days.

I called Lloyds yesterday to cancel the Duo account, and plan to apply for the Duo Premier (with £50 fee) via the Avios site. Am hoping that the fact I am upgrading (cancelled standard card, issued with no joining incentive from Avios, and replacing with Duo Premier card) will ensure I'm eligible for the 3-month 10xAvios offer. The small print on the website says (with my underlining):

Customers will only be eligible for one joining bonus from Avios, In the event that a customer re-applies for the Lloyds TSB Premier Duo Avios Credit Card Account, Lloyds TSB may process an application and issue the Lloyds TSB Premier Duo cards but Avios will not award further bonus offers.

I really can't see any reason I should need to wait 3 months, but (to be on the safe side) will wait at least until I get the letter confirming closure of my original Duo account.

Then I just need to negotiate the non-functioning web-form, and the apparent refusals to many of us who clear our balance each month . As a long-standing (too long!) customer of Lloyds TSB, it will be an interesting conversation if they suddenly decline to issue me this card.

Last edited by larryflyer; Dec 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by mdj1
When a institution does a credit check they can't see if you pay your balance in full each month all they see is if you paid on time, they can't tell how much.
Some lenders do actually now provide additional information to the credit reference agencies, and this does include the amount paid off the account that month. Also displayed is the total statement balance for that month, a marker if there was a promotional rate applied to your account, and a marker if you only paid the minimum payment.

So it's entirely conceivable that Lloyds are declining low-risk customers simply because they're unlikely to yield a sufficient return to the bank in terms of interest or balance transfer fees charged.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by larryflyer
Am hoping that the fact I am upgrading (cancelled standard card, issued with no joining incentive from Avios, and replacing with Duo Premier card) will ensure I'm eligible for the 3-month 10xAvios offer. The small print on the website says (with my underlining):

Customers will only be eligible for one joining bonus from Avios, In the event that a customer re-applies for the Lloyds TSB Premier Duo Avios Credit Card Account, Lloyds TSB may process an application and issue the Lloyds TSB Premier Duo cards but Avios will not award further bonus offers.
You may be out of luck when upgrading. Amex do not pay new account bonuses when upgrading from the BA Blue to the PP and I suspect that may be standard practice.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by SteveF
You may be out of luck when upgrading. Amex do not pay new account bonuses when upgrading from the BA Blue to the PP and I suspect that may be standard practice.
With respect, what Amex does on upgrades is of no relevance to what Lloyds TSB will do with upgrades. I agree with your answer, but not your reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.