Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lloyds Avios credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Hello,

I already have 2 Amex cards, 1 Corporate and 1 BA Premium.
Will I get refused and hurt my credit score if I go for this one due to the 3 amex cards limit?

Edit.....

Just done a quick bit of maths and can't see why anyone would want this card as opposed to say the Tesco clubcard mastercard, unless of course you spend a lot abroad.
Everyone already has an amex, right?

Based on £1000 spend on the Lloyds mastercard you would get 250 avois (or 500 if the spend was overseas)
Whereas on the Tesco one you would get 250 clubcard points which convert to 600 avios (apart from next feb where they convert to 1000)

I have been waiting for Tesco to offer a bonus before I sign up for it.

I might do this Lloyds one if they let me and keep it until Tesco offer a bonus then ditch.

It would be nice to have a backup card to pull out rather than my debit when I get the "we don't take amex".

Last edited by PanGalactic; Nov 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm Reason: did some maths
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier
I once used a 2-4-1 on a Y flight to Vancouver - I was younger then, less mile, less money. I am sorry for the embarassment I may have brought to my family and seek forgiveness from the board for this.
Go stand in the corner...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by panny
Just done a quick bit of maths and can't see why anyone would want this card as opposed to say the Tesco clubcard mastercard, unless of course you spend a lot abroad.
Yes, we have Amex ... we can use that at Waitrose in JER, so that solves the grocery/wine angle.
No, we don't have bludgy TESCO ... thank [Deity].
Yes, we spend a skip in the USA, A BIG skip. And avoiding the Amex fees would be a big bonus, if that turns out to be true. [I wonder what exchange rates they use, etc. etc. ?]

Personal thing, I know, but we don't shop in JER. We shop in the USofA, where 90% of our annual retailing is done. But, as ever, YMMV. If it works [i.e. we can get one] this sounds like a winner for us.

Researching ....
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Hello,

I already have 2 Amex cards, 1 Corporate and 1 BA Premium.
Will I get refused and hurt my credit score if I go for this one due to the 3 amex cards limit?

Edit.....

Based on £1000 spend on the Lloyds mastercard you would get 250 avois (or 500 if the spend was overseas)
Whereas on the Tesco one you would get 250 clubcard points which convert to 600 avios (apart from next feb where they convert to 1000)

I have been waiting for Tesco to offer a bonus before I sign up for it.

I might do this Lloyds one if they let me and keep it until Tesco offer a bonus then ditch.

It would be nice to have a backup card to pull out rather than my debit when I get the "we don't take amex".
The 3 Amex rule does not apply here as these are not Amex Amex's, they are Lloyds Amex's.

I would certainly think about this card purely for the sign up bonus, but not long term.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by T8191
Yes, we have Amex ... we can use that at Waitrose in JER, so that solves the grocery/wine angle.
I must admit, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of pulling out a Tesco branded credit card as opposed to my corporate platinum, a Lloyds branded card is respectable at least, but hey, points are points

Maybe I could get a credit card sticker to put over it so noone need know what it is.

By the way, what is a Mucci and where can I get one?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
The 3 Amex rule does not apply here as these are not Amex Amex's, they are Lloyds Amex's.

I would certainly think about this card purely for the sign up bonus, but not long term.
Thanks, I certainly will go for it, but I only just got the 2 Amex's within the last 3 months so will do some more research on it and may wait until closer to the deadline.

Wonder if there is going to be a referral scheme
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Wonder if there is going to be a referral scheme
Doubtful. There was previously a sign-up bonus through the Air Miles site, but that's about the limit.

Would note that I'm aware Lloyds Banking Group is being very tight on credit card issuance lately (I am speculating it is due to liquidity cost on unused limits; PM me if you haven't a clue what that means and want to know/be bored) so if you have a lot of activity on your credit file lately you might want to hold off.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:46 am

Yes, we spend a skip in the USA, A BIG skip. And avoiding the Amex fees would be a big bonus, if that turns out to be true. [I wonder what exchange rates they use, etc. etc. ?]

Personal thing, I know, but we don't shop in JER. We shop in the USofA, where 90% of our annual retailing is done. But, as ever, YMMV. If it works [i.e. we can get one] this sounds like a winner for us.

Researching ....
Why not get a us$ Amex card then? You can then keep a us$ account in jersey pay the bill with a us$ debit card linked on that account. You then can take advantage of transferring a larger amount into us$ and get a better rate.
Link

Joejet
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
Go stand in the corner...
It's cold and my legs hurt, can I come out now?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
I must admit, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of pulling out a Tesco branded credit card as opposed to my corporate platinum, a Lloyds branded card is respectable at least, but hey, points are points
Don't worry - there's a choice of one that looks like a Clubcard, and one that has more subtle Tesco branding:

For those of you thinking of applying for the Avios cards and who wouldn't mind getting a fiver for it, it may be worth hanging on a few days to see if Quidco fix their links: they were offering £5 cashback for the Airmiles Duo card, and it may well continue.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
As a current holder of LloydsTSB Airmiles cards, I'm assuming that the promotions mentioned above won't apply to me. (I had a snailmail letter telling me I would receive Avios cards, but they haven't arrived yet.) I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!
Even more interesting as our overseas spend is on the BA Amex, which charges transaction fees.
It could save us a skip of BA Amex fees on US spend, and at the same time earn "Los Avios".
Are you referring to foreign use surcharges? If so, the LloydsTSB cards charging 2.95% extra are only marginally less unfavourable than the BA AmEx charging 2.99% extra and the difference could be lost in exchange rates anyway, I guess.

I looked at the new LloydsTSB cards website and don't like the colour of the new cards. My LloydsTSB AmEx Airmiles card is a respectable grey/silver. The Avios replacement is Lloyds-ish green, reminiscent of the former Access cards (which is one reason I disliked the LloydsTSB Duo MC, the other being that it was quite pathetic for earnings ).

Also - and perhaps this should probably be posted elsewhere, that website gives examples of non-flight redemptions.
Avios Reward
2,700 Health club day pass for two
4,150 Paintball or Comedy night experience for two
6,500 The Favourites Six wine case
7,000 West End Theatre Ticket (Silver)
9,000 +airline taxes, fees and charges (or 9000 + £27pp if its a Reward Flight Saver) A return flight to destinations like Paris, Amsterdam and Prague ...
so at least in this respect, the spirit of Airmiles lives on.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
6,500 Avios for 6 bottles of wine? Grief, that is probably 1,500 bottles my family could order in. Plus another 1,500 when/if I get the option of converting my BMI miles!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Having read much of the critical small print ....

1. The Lloyds Mastercard isn't any use, really. As Roger has noted, they charge a transaction fee for spend in the US, and the earn-rate for UK/JER spend isn't really worth the bother at £5/1 Avios [especially when all our grocery spend is on the BA Amex at £1/1.

2. The Amex $ Charge Card suggested by joejet certainly seems to be the answer. We typically spend £3.5k in the US each trip using the BA Amex, so thats c. £100 in 'foreign transaction fees'.

Thanks for the tips, folks. Now to decide which colour card to get!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:59 pm
Suspended

I thought what the heck, signed up last night through online banking.
I just checked and it's now appeared on my account, I guess that means I got accepted, that was quick Will sign Mrs P up later too.

Now I'm fascinated to know how the combining of BAEC Avios and Lloyds Avios will work.

Also, I think it's a bit cheap that the Lloyds 241 needs more spend than the AMEX to qualify for but restricts you to using economy.

I wonder if there will be any restriction on using an AMEX 241 if the points are earned through Lloyds and in a separate Avios account.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if there will be any restriction on using an AMEX 241 if the points are earned through Lloyds and in a separate Avios account.
I wouldnt have thought so. How would they track the points.

I use my Lloyds card for online shopping. I know what has gone through the card so no worry about fraud. I also get Avios points at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.