Search

Confirmed: end of euro elite thresholds

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Thought so. Thanks, Stez.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:11 am

Sorry if this has already been answered, but if I move to another country in Europe do I still keep the benefit of the lower thresholds?

When the BA site warns me that my service centre will change it gives the renewal levels as 600 for Silver, not the 400 I have for the next two years.

I don't want to lose the lower level just for the sake of them having my new address instead of my old one!

Thanks

JS
Old May 2, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by J_Smith
Sorry if this has already been answered, but if I move to another country in Europe do I still keep the benefit of the lower thresholds?

When the BA site warns me that my service centre will change it gives the renewal levels as 600 for Silver, not the 400 I have for the next two years.

I don't want to lose the lower level just for the sake of them having my new address instead of my old one!

Thanks

JS
I'm not sure that anyone here will be able to answer that question for you, and even BA themselves might not know. I would be very wary about making any changes to your account. If it "reset" your TP thresholds, it may be difficult for BA to override the system (or for you to manage to successfully make them do so!). Though clearly you should be able to make this change without it affecting your requalification levels up until 1 March 2014, in practice it might turn out differently.

If there's any way at all that you could possibly retrieve your new cards from the current address when your membership year(s) expire, then I would probably advise to leave well enough alone.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 2, 2012 at 9:37 am
Old May 2, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

Thanks

JS
Hi and welcome to FT!

I confirmed in advance with Nicci (BAEC) that this would not be a problem, and I have successfully moved from CZ to DEU while maintaining the same thresholds.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the light of britbronco22's reassuring experience, please ignore my pessimistic advice offered earlier!
Old May 2, 2012, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22
Hi and welcome to FT!

I confirmed in advance with Nicci (BAEC) that this would not be a problem, and I have successfully moved from CZ to DEU while maintaining the same thresholds.
Thanks for the reassurance, I am worried as it says 600 on the service centre change page! Did your country change involve a change in service centre? Could this trigger the loss of the lower threshold? I am going from NL to F.

Thanks to irishguy as well, best to be cautious as I will not get 600 points by the time my card expires!

JS
Old May 3, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the reassurance, I am worried as it says 600 on the service centre change page! Did your country change involve a change in service centre? Could this trigger the loss of the lower threshold? I am going from NL to F.

Thanks to irishguy as well, best to be cautious as I will not get 600 points by the time my card expires!

JS
Yes I changed from Bratislava to Bremen I think.

If you are concerned, I suggest you contact Nicci (FT handle BA Executive Club) to confirm this is ok in advance. But based on my experience there was no problem and I didn't need to get anything 'reinstated' afterwards.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by britbronco22
Yes I changed from Bratislava to Bremen I think.

If you are concerned, I suggest you contact Nicci (FT handle BA Executive Club) to confirm this is ok in advance. But based on my experience there was no problem and I didn't need to get anything 'reinstated' afterwards.
Thanks again for the reassurance, I have made the change and it still shows 400 points, will check again in a couple of days to make sure nothing changes!

JS
Old May 8, 2012, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by teiring
As I called the Exec Hotline they told me, that I would still only need 800TP after the 1st March, but your membership year won't be 1year and you're not allowed to renew for 800TP.
Just spotted this post... Can the information given by this phone rep be correct?

It would seem fair if one could qualify at the old levels once, by the end of the membership year during which the change was announced (of course not being entitled to any requalification grace period in that case).

But I don't remember seeing any official communication about this, and my Gold qualification level shown on the web pages shot up to 1500 TP in March as well.
Old May 8, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by HELflyer
Just spotted this post... Can the information given by this phone rep be correct?

It would seem fair if one could qualify at the old levels once, by the end of the membership year during which the change was announced (of course not being entitled to any requalification grace period in that case).

But I don't remember seeing any official communication about this, and my Gold qualification level shown on the web pages shot up to 1500 TP in March as well.
It is correct and should be found somewhere on the website. It was certainly in the e-mails sent announcing the change of regime. It appears BA wanted to give a very very soft landing to the affected EU members.
Old May 8, 2012, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HELflyer

There were lots of communications about it.

Executive Club: Changes to European Tier thresholds
Executive Club: November 2011 changes (Avios/European Thresholds/Bronze/TP changes etc) FAQ

If you see Gold requiring 1500TP, that implies that you have Silver (or lower) status. On March 1 2012, the requirement for Silver rose from 400 to 600 - except for those who held silver on March 1 2012. Those European members holding silver on March 1 2012 will be allowed to renew for a further 2 years (the first two end-of-membership years occurring after March 1 2012 - i.e. some people [renewal dates in March, April, May] are now already in their "second year")at the old 400TP level - so they won't see the TP threshold for Silver rise until they have successfully renewed twice at the old level, or failed to renew Silver (once you fail to retain status, you lose the special dispensation). But for everyone holding silver (or below) on March 1 2012, the requirement for Gold automatically became 1500TP, just as anyone who was Blue or Bronze on that date saw the requirement for Silver rise from 400TP to 600TP.

On March 1 2012, the requirement for Gold rose from 800 to 1500TP - except for those who held gold on March 1 2012. For those people, they will be allowed to renew a further two times (the first two end-of-membership years occurring after March 1 2012 - i.e. some people [renewal dates in March, April, May] are already well into their "second year") at the old 800TP level a further two times (unless they fail to renew in the meantime), meaning that only from March 2014 onwards will the Tier Point threshold for Gold definitely be 1500TP for all.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 8, 2012 at 3:45 am
Old May 8, 2012, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There were lots of communications about it. [...]
Yes, I know the thresholds changed. I meant to ask whether the information teiring got about qualifying for a new level after March 1st could be correct (please click the link at the quote for the original message). I don't remember seeing anything official about that, which is why the message caught my attention.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:40 am
JIP

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Skywards, SPG Gold
Apologies if this has already been asked, I find the 2 year changeover for Euro thresholds a wee bit confusing. I'm a Euro gold, my tier points reset yesterday and the requirement to retain gold is 800 tier points. I don't think I'll reach 800 as I'm taking more redemption flights this year. I wonder if anybody knows if my requirement for silver is still at the lower level of 400 tier points for the next two years? I understand that if I don't reach gold there will be a soft landing to silver anyway but this would only cover me for one additional year. Hope I've made some sense!
Old May 9, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by JIP
Apologies if this has already been asked, I find the 2 year changeover for Euro thresholds a wee bit confusing. I'm a Euro gold, my tier points reset yesterday and the requirement to retain gold is 800 tier points. I don't think I'll reach 800 as I'm taking more redemption flights this year. I wonder if anybody knows if my requirement for silver is still at the lower level of 400 tier points for the next two years? I understand that if I don't reach gold there will be a soft landing to silver anyway but this would only cover me for one additional year. Hope I've made some sense!
If you have just gone through a year end, this will be your first year end since 1st March 2012.

Existing Gold and Silver euro members are allowed their next two renewals (after 1st March 2012) of their existing status at the previous levels.

You were gold on 1st March 2012.

Your year end was yesterday.

If you had 800, you will have renewed. And if renewed you will be able to renew one more time at the 800 level. After that new levels apply.

If you did not have 800 (and were not even close) BA will have downgraded you to Silver.
(Your account will still show Gold until your curent card expiry date - end of next month).

If you were downgraded yesterday you will need the higher 600 TP to keep your Silver, and you will need the new higher 1500 TP to regain gold.

Last edited by David-A; May 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm
Old May 9, 2012, 5:19 am
JIP

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Skywards, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by David-A
If you have just gone through a year end, this will be your first year end since 1st March 2012.

Existing Gold and Silver euro members are allowed their next to renewals (after 1st March 2012) of their existing status at the previous levels.

You were gold on 1st March 2012.

Your year end was yesterday.

If you had 800, you will have renewed. And if renewed you will be able to renew one more time at the 800 level. After that new levels apply.

If you did not have 800 (and were not even close) BA will have downgraded you to Silver.
(Your account will still show Gold until your curent card expiry date - end of next month).

If you were downgraded yesterday you will need the higher 600 TP to keep your Silver, and you will need the new higher 1500 TP to regain gold.
Thank you for helping, I understand now.
I did renew at gold level yesterday and require 800 to renew next year. If there is one further year at the lower levels and I don't reach 800 points I don't think it matters if the silver level is 400 or 600 as I will have a soft landing anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.