Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ANNOUNCEMENT - A new revitalised Executive Club is coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANNOUNCEMENT - A new revitalised Executive Club is coming

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by poggs
Although not all details are out yet, I can't see this being anything other than totally horrible for me and my family.

as an avid air miles collector I have been shopping at tesco doing the estore thing, getting the lloydstsb credit card etc and have managed to get to 25000 miles. The plan being to take my family to Orlando from edinburgh for 28000 miles and no cash. With this change it seems that I will have to pay the equivalent of 5900 miles per flight (5000 for the lgw to mco and 9000 for the domestic leg) or23600 miles plus £1160 in cash. So I save a whopping 4400 miles but have to pay TWELVE HUNDRED pounds to save that! 4400 miles are about £180 in club card vouchers.

quite simply this change had cost me one thousand pounds.
It's a spectacular hosing for all air miles customers. I wish I could get my tesco club card vouchers back and spend them in the store. I would get so much better value.
It appears that you can buy 500 Airmiles for £75 for each person in your household account so it would be much cheaper to do that and make up the shortfall so that you can book the trip now before the changes take effect.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:56 am

I just got the e-mail. It goes on and on, but it's really confusing! I'm sorry, but if you're not an aviation of FFP enthusiast, you will have difficulty understanding what's happening. It's a PR disaster IMHO.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poggs
With this change it seems that I will have to pay the equivalent of 5900 miles per flight (5000 for the lgw to mco and 9000 for the domestic leg)
apart from MFUs, the system remains a zone-based system rather than a segment system. Why would you need to make an additional payment for the domestic leg?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
If I read this correctly the reduction in LHR-NYC redemption rates comes about because IAG is moving to more distance related rates. My guess is the US will now be in at least two bands, and BOS will almost certainly be reduced to the NYC rates, but I'm wondering where the boundary of the band(s) falls? Will the West Coast rates increase? How about Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc.?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by C010T3
I just got the e-mail. It goes on and on, but it's really confusing! I'm sorry, but if you're not an aviation of FFP enthusiast, you will have difficulty understanding what's happening. It's a PR disaster IMHO.
It is one of the clearest messages BA has ever sent out from my experience.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C010T3
It is 10 paragraphs most of which are one sentance. Hardly on and on. It could be a bit shorter but you do actually have to explain the why as well as the what.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bernardd
If I read this correctly the reduction in LHR-NYC redemption rates comes about because IAG is moving to more distance related rates. My guess is the US will now be in at least two bands, and BOS will almost certainly be reduced to the NYC rates, but I'm wondering where the boundary of the band(s) falls? Will the West Coast rates increase? How about Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc.?
New York band extends to ORD per the announcement. We know it is distance based so get that miles calc out
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I wonder if the household account will stay - with all this talk of it becoming more of a 'Club' I wonder if the Householder account fits with that.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by chistery
The new rates don't start until November.
So they should be available for bookings after November. Changes have clearly been made as the phrase "standard redemption" is new.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
To keep our simply priced Zones, each with one fare, we need to separate airline taxes, fees and surcharges from our fares (as we don't control these and how much they fluctuate) – and you'll pay them in cash.
Taxes and apd maybe you don't control, fuel surcharges you bl**dy well do and control them in the upward trend only!

What about those of us who have booked using BA miles for redemption flights that will come into play after the Adios miles come in? Does this mean we get a refund of the miles?? I am guessing not

Don't worry, we'll be recalculating the Airmiles you've got – multiplying your balance by ten on 16 November 2011. And we'll recalculate the Avios you'll collect too.
Does this mean I will have 10x the value of miles then???

The name Avios, which “means nothing” according to Swaffield, was chosen because it was “easy to pronounce, scalable, international and would work around the world, yet also hinted at aviation and travel.”
Ah, so you managed to pick probably the main letter "v" that is pronounced differently between Spain and UK, what a bunch of idiots... They should have spoken to the "Jif" marketing team and why they changed the name to "Cif"...

Last edited by globalste; Sep 1, 2011 at 7:11 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
The announcement includes the revised redemption 'Zones' and states LA as Zone 5 which is 50,000 miles for economy.

I think many expected the East and West coasts to be re-aligned but I for one expected the West to increase instead of the East decreasing.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I still don't trust these changes. It would be the first time in history that I actually benefit from changes to an FFP.
I have a bad feeling about what's to come in November?
Maybe I'm just paranoid though?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by A P Yu
I wonder if the household account will stay - with all this talk of it becoming more of a 'Club' I wonder if the Householder account fits with that.
I should think that it will as it is found in the 'New Terms and Conditions'.

H
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:07 am

They should have researched the name!

'Head of brand at The Mileage Company Rahul Patel says that the Avios name has been tested and researched across several markets and while it is a created name, it does have resonance in connection with aviation.'

Any google search brings up Avios as:
Applied Voice Input / Output Society
Association of Visually Impaired Office Staff

not exactly a resonance with Aviation and a little too close to the slimming pill called Adios
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Lloyds TSB probably won't be best pleased about their Amex cards (Airmiles Duo and Airmiles Duo Premier) going into direct competition with the Amex-issued BA cards.

The free cards seem to have the same accrual rate (Lloyds 1 airmile per £10, BA 1 BA mile per £1) but Lloyds doubles the accrual for foreign transactions while Amex has the 2-for-1 voucher at £20,000 spent as well as double miles on BA purchases.

The paid-for cards have more differentiation; Lloyds charges a £50 fee as against Amex's £150, and gives a 2-for-1 at £15,000 spent rather than £10,000. However, the Lloyds 2-for-1 is only valid on whY bookings Mileage is 1.25 airmiles per £10 at Lloyds and 1.5 BA miles per £1 at Amex (Amex better).

The main benefit of airmiles against BA miles (no taxes) is of course dying soon. The one additional benefit of the Lloyds card is that you also get a MasterCard card linked to the same account which can be used at the places that don't take Amex, but mileage accrual is at one-fifth of the rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.