Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:57 am

I hope to one day be eligible to use the First desks with BA and if the OP's situation were to happen (hopefully not) have only this to complain about

A big thank you though to those who respect the system and protect it from abuse, I will wait my turn until I've earned (or paid for) the right. ^
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bealine
.....which is what happens most of the time because the First class experience is something rather special to most folks and we want our customers to enjoy it. In short, we don't want to put too many obstacles in your way.

Having said that, when I was a child and we travelled regularly on the railway and ferries, my mother usually bought First Class tickets to ensure porters were on hand to help. People in those days (we're talking early 1960's) expected to produce their tickets at regular intervals throughout their journeys. As one queued to cross the bridge to transfer from train to ferry at Heysham, everyone would have their paper tickets in their hands in readiness.

I do find it rather incredible nowadays that people expect to barge into an exclusive area without producing their credentials for doing so!
Not trying to be insulting here, but I'm sure Marie Antoinette was shocked by things, too. If your standard service is a nightmare, people will lose respect for the whole regime.

Most people are not floating from cloud to cloud in stress-free travel. The rules tend to mean less to people when they seem to be used as a form of oppression more consistently than the means of protection we'd like them to be.

As an elite, I hate to use elite privileges under the cloud of suspicion. In fact, many travelers probably hate to have to interact with any personnel at all if we can avoid it, mainly out of fear of the attitudes or lectures we suspect we will receive that will sour our experience, even if we are in the correct queue.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by evanderm
I hope to one day be eligible to use the First desks with BA and if the OP's situation were to happen (hopefully not) have only this to complain about

A big thank you though to those who respect the system and protect it from abuse, I will wait my turn until I've earned (or paid for) the right. ^
Well said! I hope that when you have earned your first, First class experience (for many, it's a special treat to celebrate their retirement), we have all contributed to keeping it nice and exclusive for you and that you really will feel special! ^
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S

Fraudulent attempts to enter the lounges are widespread and the number of expired gold/ silver cards that are collected beggars belief!
I can confirm that - I was sitting in the GL not long ago when BA staff brought some trainees in to show them how the lounge worked, sat them down and brought out a HUGE basket of confiscated cards, must have been hundreds in there, which was apparently just from the last 3 months...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: BA
.....which is what happens most of the time because the First class experience is something rather special to most folks and we want our customers to enjoy it. In short, we don't want to put too many obstacles in your way.
Had she asked politely to see my BP or iPhone I would happily done so. I actually expected to be questioned upon arrival at the First area.

To be honest I didn't PYOBP because I wanted to receive a proper BP as a souviner as I have no idea if I'll ever fly F again.

I'll stop embarassing myself now
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by malkie
Amusingly during the walk across she asked "is it your first time?", to which I said "yes, but I've flown in business many times before". She looked at me somewhat confused and continued; "um, I mean Toronto", to which I said "yes, I've been before."
Very funny!!!

I've never used the First checkin at T5, and I as often use the regular baggage drop rather than the club desks if I have a bag to check from Heathrow.

The lovely lady that checked my bag on Sunday had to insist repeatedly to the passenger in front of me that she had to go back to the self-service machines to obtain her boarding pass first. The passenger really didn't want to do that. It must get very frustrating for the staff.

The time before that, when I was last passing through T5, I saw a poor BA staff member being verbally harrassed by a man who was clearly very drunk. I'm not sure why he was berating her - but the language he was using was shocking. I really felt so sorry for the poor lady.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by IcHot
Most people are not floating from cloud to cloud in stress-free travel. The rules tend to mean less to people when they seem to be used as a form of oppression more consistently than the means of protection we'd like them to be.
I don't see rules to be a form of oppression. Sometimes, they may be a bit annoying or inconvenient to me, or I may not like it, but that's not a valid reason to call it 'oppression'. It is hardly suppressing my earned rights!

As an elite, I hate to use elite privileges under the cloud of suspicion. In fact, many travelers probably hate to have to interact with any personnel at all if we can avoid it, mainly out of fear of the attitudes or lectures we suspect we will receive that will sour our experience, even if we are in the correct queue.
I think you are taking this too personally. It is not necessarily you that is coming under the cloud of suspicion. They are merely ensuring that the rules are followed. Would you prefer it if there was no 'suspicion' of anyone and F check-in, for instance, would be free for all?

I for one do not mind having to interact with personnel, as long as they are polite and courteous. It is very rare for me to encounter any BA staff members who are less than polite and courteous, so I have no reason to avoid them.

You could, if you prefer, travel hand luggage only, use the SSCI at most airports, and go straight to sleep so that you only need to interact with people at conformance, the security the gate and upon boarding.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Last year my wife and I were flying F to SFO. As we approached the entrance to F check in a dragon blocked our way and quite rudely snapped "First or Gold?"

I replied very politely that my wife and I were both GCH's and we were both flying in F. She stepped aside with bad grace and we were permitted to check in. Not a great start to a F flight.

Last edited by BAGoldBoy; Jul 19, 2011 at 11:57 am Reason: Typed wrong airport code!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I don't see rules to be a form of oppression. Sometimes, they may be a bit annoying or inconvenient to me, or I may not like it, but that's not a valid reason to call it 'oppression'. It is hardly suppressing my earned rights!

I think you are taking this too personally. It is not necessarily you that is coming under the cloud of suspicion. They are merely ensuring that the rules are followed. Would you prefer it if there was no 'suspicion' of anyone and F check-in, for instance, would be free for all?

I for one do not mind having to interact with personnel, as long as they are polite and courteous. It is very rare for me to encounter any BA staff members who are less than polite and courteous, so I have no reason to avoid them.

You could, if you prefer, travel hand luggage only, use the SSCI at most airports, and go straight to sleep so that you only need to interact with people at conformance, the security the gate and upon boarding.
If someone barks at me, I will take it personally. I'm sure that if I barked back, that would be judged as a personal affront to the customer service agent. However, I'm expected to accept this while they are not?

Customer service is how people are made to feel. If you haven't picked up on the combative tone of customer service personnel in this thread, you might want to take another look. They are more interested in defending the fort than anything else. They are instructed to do so. Is it hospitality or cops and robbers?

Why do you think it is an issue? It is an issue because customer service is so impossible for most customers. If elites get the fortress mentality, what are the regular passengers getting?

As a matter of fact, I do use self service machines and carry-ons if at all possible. When I do, I pray there's not some issue, simply because I know the odds are that I will have to deal with an exasperated agent after a long wait and that neither of us really wants to see the other party.

I should add, that I understand the plight of people who work with the public like this. Why I'm bothered is because it seems to be employees versus customers, when the real issue starts and ends with decision makers who are insulated from the experience and think more rules and policing are the issue.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
I've used F Checkin all the time though never as travelling in F.

I get challenged politely and I say I'm Gold, then I am let through. I have never been asked to produce the card.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by IcHot
If someone barks at me, I will take it personally. I'm sure that if I barked back, that would be judged as a personal affront to the customer service agent. However, I'm expected to accept this while they are not?
I can believe that people feel they get occasionally barked at, and I think that is inappropriate on the agent's side, but if you feel that you are are always getting barked at by BA staff, it's probably time to review your own approach to them or perception of being 'barked at', because on well over 100 times I have flown from T5 in the last couple of years I do not recall being barked at even once. I did encounter one very poorly-performing CS agent, but only one. I complained to CR and promptly received an apology for that, so case closed.

The point is, ideally, customer service agents should have the skill to make everyone feel welcome, but it does occasionally fail. Unfortunate, but fact of life, pretty much like occasionally slipping off the stairs. It does not mean BA should accept poor attitude or behaviour from their customer services agent, but it also does not mean passengers should take every one of them as widespread behaviour among BA, or to take it as a personal slight by BA.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
At LGW they always ask and every time extremely politely.

After printing my BP and proceed to bag drop, I use to hold my card in a way that they will see that and will not have to ask.

People are saying excuses to the agents all the time and it is right that they ask (they protect our benefits). Although as BAGoldBoy said, this should happen with an appropriate way. "First or Gold" doesn't sounds to me very nice, like going to a restaurant which will cost you 400 pp with a waitress asking you "food or water?"

Gold members are more valuable than the First status-less passengers IMO.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:04 am

I get challenged politely and I say I'm Gold, then I am let through. I have never been asked to produce the card.
I think the manner of both the "dragon" and the "customer" is largely responsible for that. When standing as a "dragon" at the First check in zone, I politely step out and greet you as you approach - "Good morning. Are you travelling in First today?" If you smile and say "I'm in cattle class today, but I am Gold." I certainly wouldn't challenge you to show me your card.

If you attempt to brush me to one side, and barge past me with your fully-laden trolley, it is at that point I will be a bit firmer. "Where are you flying to today?"

The military drill-square "bark" comes a moment later if you still persist in a bulldozer attempt!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:11 am

"Good morning. Are you travelling in First today?"
I think I may have come across with you, because I remember that exact wording, which left an impression because the chap was extremely pleasant and helpful with my subsequent query/request.

You weren't at the F "guarding counter" at T5 during one of the snow chaos (not the last one but the one before), were you?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 19, 2011 at 11:34 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
If you smile and say "I'm in cattle class today, but I am Gold."
Well, BA has also CW and WT+.

Probably I never had a bad experience as I always speak or/and smile to the agent that guards those areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.