Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat, MR plat

As online/machine check-in was not willing to give me a boarding pass this morning, I had to actually try and speak with someone at terminal 5. As there were a lot of queues even in the club section, i thought I would use the first check-in, which I have never done before (too lazy to walk that far!).

I was therefore surprised when i was met there by the "guardian" to be told " not first, you have to check-in over there as we are too busy". They had a queue of 1 person and 6 desks open and she pointed me to queues of about 6 people for each desk at CW checkin!

I think what surprised me most was the aggressive nature of her comment and no apology at all. In fact I was so surprised I let it go and walked back towards CW. Luckily for me one of the floater staff there saw my confusion, asked what the issue was, and got me sorted immediately...great customer service from her, and much more what I am used to from BA staff.

Anyway, that's the story....recovering with a bacon sandwich in the lounge now! Anyone else experienced that?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Never experienced that, and neither should have you... under any circumstances. We were never turned away even when there was a really queue as it is a published benefit. You should have proceeded to the check-in desk regardless...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Did the "guardian" who turned you away know that you were entitled to use First checkin, or in the absence of seeing a boarding pass/Gold card just assume you were in the wrong area and sent you away with this "excuse"?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:12 am

It is a function of our job hosting at the First check in area to check that only First, Premier, Gold or OW Emerald cardholders enter the area. I doubt if the host was "aggressive - more likely "assertive". Did you offer your Gold card which entitles you to use the area or did you attempt to barge past?

If it is quiet in First, (and there won't have been 6 desks open, only 4 as 2 are dedicated for reservations), then we will approach the club queues and bring 2 or 3 at a time across. However, to attempt to jump the club queues by automatically entering the First class area is bad form, Leccy.

The dedicated "First Class" area in Zone J is exclusive and the high first class fares pay for the staff employed in that area.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by bealine
It is a function of our job hosting at the First check in area to check that only First, Premier, Gold or OW Emerald cardholders enter the area. I doubt if the host was "aggressive - more likely "assertive". Did you offer your Gold card which entitles you to use the area or did you attempt to barge past?

If it is quiet in First, (and there won't have been 6 desks open, only 4 as 2 are dedicated for reservations), then we will approach the club queues and bring 2 or 3 at a time across. However, to attempt to jump the club queues by automatically entering the First class area is bad form, Leccy.

The dedicated "First Class" area in Zone J is exclusive and the high first class fares pay for the staff employed in that area.
It isn't bad for at all. As A gold he has every right to use it as standard.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
However, to attempt to jump the club queues by automatically entering the First class area is bad form, Leccy.

Hate to disagree with you bealine but I don't understand how Leccy queue jumping is bad form. He has a BA Gold card and a published benefit of this type of card is that he gets to check-in in the First class area regardless of fare paid. The entire point of this benefit is that the queue should be shorter and his experience should be faster than silver card holders and everybody else.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Sorry I should have clarified. Her first question was "first?" to which I replied "no, gold", so she was definitely aware.

Bealine - I think assertive is probably a better word than aggressive, thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Did the "guardian" who turned you away know that you were entitled to use First checkin, or in the absence of seeing a boarding pass/Gold card just assume you were in the wrong area and sent you away with this "excuse"?
You have a point here - I am always holding my gold card together with the BP whenever I am using First check-in, in case the host asks, as I rarely fly F class and they may think that I don't belong there...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Leccy
Sorry I should have clarified. Her first question was "first?" to which I replied "no, gold", so she was definitely aware.

Bealine - I think assertive is probably a better word than aggressive, thank you!
So, you told her "Gold" but didn't offer your card?

I know that, at busy times, we are trying to keep one First desk as dedicated for "First class tickets only", but Premier/Gold or OW Emerald cardholders are definitely entitled to check in at Zone J providing the card is shown and is within its period of validity.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)

I know that, at busy times, we are trying to keep one First desk as dedicated for "First class tickets only", but Premier/Gold or OW Emerald cardholders are definitely entitled to check in at Zone J providing the card is shown and is within its period of validity.
In that case surely the correct response is 'can I see your Gold card please sir?' not 'go and check-in over there'
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sigma421
In that case surely the correct response is 'can I see your Gold card please sir?' not 'go and check-in over there'
Indeed, I do have my card with me and it is very much in date. Maybe I can also learn from this to have it out in advance in future, but it seems like an easy question to ask, especially as there was no one behind me at this point. In addition the fact that she replied the section was too busy after establishing that I was gold suggests that it was the fact I was gold rather than first that was the issue.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold

I wonder why the agent didn't ask to see the card then? Sounds to me like an another surly T5 check-in experience.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:01 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver

I don't fly BA often -this kind of attitude is the reason why.

The "Guard" should have asked for the card -it's hardly rocket science just decent customer service.

I belong to the generation who regarded flying BA as flying the flag and an almost automatic choice (not just for me-in my twenties I worked in business travel -it applied to almost all my blue-chip UK based clients and many of the overseas ones too). Nowdays I prefer to fly carriers who appreciate my business-I may fly economy but I fly enough to warrent mid tier elite status with two or three carriers each year. I certainly don't want to be treated with arrogence or to be told that I'm not good enough for a published benefit because I'm turning right and not left.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:07 am

Sounds to me like an another surly T5 check-in experience.
Possibly. Then again, sometimes staff come across as "surly", "aggressive" or "arrogant" when they're merely doing the job that British Airways has asked them to do.

We do get a lot of "chancers" trying to get away with using facilities that they are not entitled to use and that does make us appear bullish sometimes. In the present climate, staff are "under the cosh" and are receiving emailed warnings (known as CSIP's) for minor transgressions which, in turn, makes them reluctant to bend rules for anyone no matter how petty and trivial it may appear.

I would suggest that card holders are prepared to produce the card, or their printed boarding pass or itinerary that shows their status, if they wish to use the Zone J facility.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:10 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
should your first reply to this not be "you told her Gold, but she immediately turned you away without asking to see it ?"

Who knows, this could be this passengers first time flying with a gold card, when do I show it, to this person, or at the check-in desk ? I think I'm allowed to use this queue, but really I'm not sure, surely this employee will confirm if I am or not.

Querying the actions of a paying passenger who may or may not know the exact protocol, rather than querying the reaction of an employee who is PAID to know the protocol, is a rather perverse way of looking at the scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.