Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:28 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bealine
So, you told her "Gold" but didn't offer your card?

I know that, at busy times, we are trying to keep one First desk as dedicated for "First class tickets only", but Premier/Gold or OW Emerald cardholders are definitely entitled to check in at Zone J providing the card is shown and is within its period of validity.
So you don't need the card for the lounge now, but do for check in. Can BA PLEASE have one hymn sheet rather than several! The Ground handling lets BA down rather badly sometimes. I wasn't asked for it the other day when I used First checkin. My card is out of date although I'm GGL, but since BA haven't sent my renewal pack, even after reordering it, my card is a year out of date. I'm not necessarily on my own here. Does that mean that yet another Gold benefit isn't going to be allowed?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
So you don't need the card for the lounge now, but do for check in. Can BA PLEASE have one hymn sheet rather than several! The Ground handling lets BA down rather badly sometimes. I wasn't asked for it the other day when I used First checkin. My card is out of date although I'm GGL, but since BA haven't sent my renewal pack, even after reordering it, my card is a year out of date. I'm not necessarily on my own here. Does that mean that yet another Gold benefit isn't going to be allowed?
No itsmeitisss, showing the card is definitely not a "requirement". Having the card on view, or a document ready (print yer own boarding pass or intinerary) with the card number was merely my suggestion for those who want a smooth, uninterrupted entry into the First check in area.

I obviously can't speak for all the staff, but if I was on duty outside Zone J and I welcomed you as you approached with the "Good morning, Travelling First today?" and you told me you were a GCH, I would accept your word for it.

However, when the zone fills up with passengers who do not have the right status (and that can be checked when they are at the desk, but by then it's too late) and I get a "carpetting" for it - what am I supposed to say?

Last edited by bealine; Jul 22, 2011 at 3:13 am
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
On my last departure from T5, I used the empty Club area to save walking over to the empty First area.

It wasn't too much of a hardship, I suppose, but it did mean I had to wear a huge sign around my neck stating 'I usually use First check-in'. I kept getting funny looks.
Ah so it was you who I saw!

Tell my, how did security take the sign

LOL
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Can two passengers, one travelling F and one travelling Y technically together both check-in at the F counter?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I always have my credentials on show.
Fnarr! Fnarr!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BA6501
Can two passengers, one travelling F and one travelling Y technically together both check-in at the F counter?
Yes.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Tremendous thread. Does everything the BAEC forum does well - off-topic, innuendo, alcoholism, class snobbery, minor tiffs... I could go on!

I've always had positive experiences with BA check-in. And I can understand why some staff can be a bit rude sometimes - not excusable, but understandable if you stand and watch some of the stuff they have to put up with from passengers. We're all human at the end of the day and sometimes we get a bit wound up by the stupidity of others. Not an excuse to take it out on other people though.

I definitely don't look like an elite/premium customer and so I expect to be challenged, rightly or wrongly. So I always keep my card handy, though not necessarily on show. And if required, I'll deferentially ask if as a Silver I'm allowed access to the queue/whatever, even if I know the answer. Better to be thought a fool than proved one.

I was checking in at T5 Zone C during the recent thunderstorms and a lot of the BA flights were disrupted. I had no idea about this until the check-in agent told me that my flight was cancelled. By this time she knew I was Silver and had chosen not trek all the way up to the club desks. I'm not sure if my status helped, but rather than sending me to the massive Zone E customer services queue to get rebooked, she decided to sort me out there and then. Even looked into all my suggestions and answered all my queries about stand-by/alternative flights etc. Truly outstanding - she took very good care of us when she could have chosen a much easier option for herself. (Incidentally, the BA app proved itself more accurate on potential flight delays than the agent's own check-in computer!)

Next to us was a family of unnamed ethnic origin packing and repacking and unpacking again their bags on the check-in conveyor to get them a slither under the weight limit. I thought that agent, too, had the patience of a saint with them. I'd have lost it.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Genius1
Yes.
So that means the Y passenger gets:
- F check-in (and priority tags too?)
- CCR access
- buddy seat
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Teefaf

Next to us was a family of unnamed ethnic origin packing and repacking and unpacking again their bags on the check-in conveyor to get them a slither under the weight limit. I thought that agent, too, had the patience of a saint with them. I'd have lost it.
I'd have sent them away from the desk to do it so that they don't hold up other passengers if there is a queue and they are taking more than a few minutes. I don't have much patience for people who bring overweight bags (my bigger irritation is people who bring oversize bags on board and take up two wheelie bags worth of space in the locker, though).
Old Jul 23, 2011, 5:00 am

I'd have sent them away from the desk to do it so that they don't hold up other passengers if there is a queue
That is exactly what we're supposed to do. In Terminal 5, there is a repacking area with its own scales by Zone A alongside Cafe Nero where thoe with overweight bags can fiddle and fanny around with 'em as much as they like!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Teefaf
Sweetheart, this is a daily event for certain flights - both at LHR and LGW.

And yes, we sometimes do need the patience of a saint, and also a back stronger than a camel to deal with the abuse we get for asking them to repack. To do this job, one of your main strengths needs to be emotional resilience.

A couple of good friends of mine wanted to do the job for a day and donate some money to Flying Start in return for that "honour"! Although it couldn't be done they later admitted they don't think they would have lasted 10 minutes before telling a passenger where to go (and I don't mean their destination)! And both these friends are GCH's - one is GGL!!!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BA6501
So that means the Y passenger gets:
- F check-in (and priority tags too?)
- CCR access
- buddy seat
Buddy seat only at the discretion of the F crew, and only for a drink (no food).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.