Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Originally Posted by BA304
Given the persuasions of many of this board's contributors BArkeeper is perhaps suitable.
How about BArfly?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You wrote:

If you have never been barked at, you are merely making an assumption - something you appear to be objecting to.

You also made an assumption that if you barked back at the customer service agent, it would be judged as a personal affront to the customer service agent. Perhaps, they do not judge it to be a personal affront to them. Some might not even care such is the frequency of being on the receiving end of barking from customers - I have seen enough people bark at CS agents while they are being perfectly polite.

I have observed the behavior. I have observed the situations and conditions it tends to occur in. I don't have to personally experience it to be aware of it or understand it.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Some of us (including me) politely refer them to the regular bag drop area, but some colleagues check them in and have, occasionally, left status passengers waiting as a result.

If it's very quiet, ie. evening at LGW, and they've already checked in and just dropping a bag, I may take them but remind them they must use the other desks in future.

Unfortunately, some colleagues see no problem in non status passengers using the premium desks. It aggravates the heck out of me.
^ if you want to have the premium experience pay for it, with either cash miles or status.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by bealine
.....which is what happens most of the time because the First class experience is something rather special to most folks and we want our customers to enjoy it. In short, we don't want to put too many obstacles in your way.

Having said that, when I was a child and we travelled regularly on the railway and ferries, my mother usually bought First Class tickets to ensure porters were on hand to help. People in those days (we're talking early 1960's) expected to produce their tickets at regular intervals throughout their journeys. As one queued to cross the bridge to transfer from train to ferry at Heysham, everyone would have their paper tickets in their hands in readiness.
I don't believe that, you're far too young sounding to have been around in the 60's.

Originally Posted by bealine
I do find it rather incredible nowadays that people expect to barge into an exclusive area without producing their credentials for doing so!
Yeah I find on trains that there are more people nowadays who are prepared to just sit in 1st and wait to be caught by the Train Manager. I usually see at least 5 in the small first carriage beyond the buffet that I normally sit in.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I always have my credentials on show.
I though the nice policeman told you to stop doing that
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Iv got to be honest here, most of these problems come down to age and appearance.

Over the last 12 months iv flown from T5 twice, once in CE and once in CW, both on paid cash tickets, and both before gaining silver. Im not old and On both occasions I was travelling for pleasure so casually dressed.

However, I was met on the first occasion at the club checkin area with, "I think you will find your desks further to the left" and the second time with "what cabin do you think your travelling in today sir?"

Is that really acceptable ? It's actually very embarrassing as the customer, as I know I'm right, but I then have to explain, and iv found that the members of staff involved say their piece deliberately loud enough to be heard by others, why ??

On a positive, travelling through LGW as a silver I had no problem using the club desk when travelling in Y, in fact there was a passenger already being dealt with infront of me so I was ushered over to the F desk along with a friendly apology for keeping me waiting !!!!

makes you wonder why the attitude difference between the two airports

cs
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

However, I was met on the first occasion at the club checkin area with, "I think you will find your desks further to the left" and the second time with "what cabin do you think your travelling in today sir?"
That sounds rather downright rude, not just curt or unfriendly.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
what cabin do you think your travelling in today sir?

That's outrageously rude.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Iv got to be honest here, most of these problems come down to age and appearance.
I must be getting older; I'm certainly not dressing any better
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Our only T5 F check-in experience was adequate however I have to say and I've said it before that last year the BA staff we dealt with at T5 check-in were absolutely marvellous. One Irish fellow in particular went out of his way to help us check the weight of our cases before we checked in as I had rightly suspected my wife of slipping stuff in when I wasn't looking. It really made us feel good to meet such helpful people.

Wonder if the public scales are still absent from the check-in area?

Last edited by HIDDY; Jul 19, 2011 at 8:23 pm
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:28 am

I was met on the first occasion at the club checkin area with, "I think you will find your desks further to the left"
I would have replied with; "And I think you will find it's not!" Honestly, why would anyone say something like that unless they were actively looking for confrontation?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:34 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by indianwells
I would have replied with; "And I think you will find it's not!" Honestly, why would anyone say something like that unless they were actively looking for confrontation?
It's all a judgement call.

A pretty duff one at that.

Having said that, I once played a game at Glasgow called "guess who gets rejected from the lounge".

In the 30 minutes I sat outside the BA lounge, 25 people went in, 5 were rejected.
I got 100%.

At this point, my dad arrived and guested me in
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:48 am

Honestly, why would anyone say something like that unless they were actively looking for confrontation?
I am ashamed that one of my colleagues would behave this way, Cornish Simon, and I will apologise on behalf of British Airways and my old home airport, Gatwick, because you should not have been treated that way. Sarcasm is a pretty low form of wit. When I started with BA, there were some of the "old sourpusses" who I am sure came to work looking for trouble - I thought all of them had either been sacked, pensioned off or gone to kick hell out of the daisies by now!

It is true, however, that most passengers don't hear the actual words we use! We had a delightful lady at Gatwick that used to patrol the queues and naughtily shout out "Nipples and Hangover, Nipples and Hangover" (Naples, Hannover). Another chappie used to keep telling passengers "Far queue, yes sir - you heard - far queue!" (I'll leave you to work that one out............)

Oftimes, if you listen closely as you disembark the aircraft, you will hear the cabin crew "Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, cod-pie, goodbye, goodbye, fish-pie".

One cheekie chappie (haven't seen him for years) uesd to usher the lady passengers to their seat with a greeting "Tickle your arrse with a feather, madam?" If the response was "I beg your pardon?" he would swiftly respond "I merely remarked on the particularly nice weather we're 'aving!"

Hopefully, I may have raised a smile this morning! Mind you, it does mean you Flyertalkers will be listening to what we say very closely!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by andset1191
It's all a judgement call.
Even if the agent got the judgement call correct it is still a totally unnacceptable and rude thing to say.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by indianwells
Even if the agent got the judgement call correct it is still a totally unnacceptable and rude thing to say.
I think the "judgement" is in the staff member judging someone's class of travel or FQ status by appearance - you just can't do it! If you do, you will get it horribly wrong.

Many an eccentric English lord wears old, shabby clothes when they travel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.