Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting check-in experience at terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Last year my wife and I were flying F to SYD. As we approached the entrance to F check in a dragon blocked our way and quite rudely snapped "First or Gold?"

I replied very politely that my wife and I were both GCH's and we were both flying in F. She stepped aside with bad grace and we were permitted to check in. Not a great start to a F flight.
I find that simply awful. Awful, rude, un-necessary and ... awful. I know they have to 'police' the F check-in area to keep scabby people out of the way, but taken at face value that was ... awful.

I would have taken the person's name and complained to BA vociferously. I would also have enjoyed a few minutes of 'personal advice and encouragement' on Customer Service skills. Simply unacceptable.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:51 am

Last year my wife and I were flying F to SYD. As we approached the entrance to F check in a dragon blocked our way and quite rudely snapped "First or Gold?"

I replied very politely that my wife and I were both GCH's and we were both flying in F. She stepped aside with bad grace and we were permitted to check in. Not a great start to a F flight.
Unacceptable. I think that this is highlighting a training need in how to challenge, and refuse if needs be, passengers courteously.

Usually, I'll make a light-hearted quip about it. If I have someone who says "Oh, no! I'm not a First Class passenger at all - I'm looking for the economy desks!"

I reply "There is a difference between passengers who travel first class and first class passengers you know - and you definitely look like a first class passenger to me!"

There, now I have given the game away. Someone is sure to remember that!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think I may have come across with you, because I remember that exact wording, which left an impression because the chap was extremely pleasant and helpful with my subsequent query/request.

You weren't at the F "guarding counter" at T5 during one of the snow chaos (not the last one but the one before), were you?
It is indeed possible. I was working through that period of snow disruption but couldn't possibly remember where I was.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by bealine

I reply "There is a difference between passengers who travel first class and first class passengers you know - and you definitely look like a first class passenger to me!"

There, now I have given the game away. Someone is sure to remember that!

Nice touch ^
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by bealine
It is indeed possible. I was working through that period of snow disruption but couldn't possibly remember where I was.
Either way, it that was you, thank you for dealing with my query/request really well, and if it wasn't you, thank you to your colleague.

For various negative comments people make on this forum, I generally find BA staff to be generally pretty nice.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
For various negative comments people make on this forum, I generally find BA staff to be generally pretty nice.

Agree with that, never had a rude agent to deal with, sometimes I had someone that didn't know his job (phone reservations) but never rude.

Actually, many times I had agents that did the "extra mile" for me or broke some rules in order to help me out.^

I will never forget one time when I arrived at the airport and my booking was for the next month, the agent rebooked me without any fees.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Last year my wife and I were flying F to SFO. As we approached the entrance to F check in a dragon blocked our way and quite rudely snapped "First or Gold?"

I had a very similar experience a year past Easter and previously reported on FT. We were travelling to LAX in F and had night stopped in LHR Sofitel rather than doing the domestic conections the same morning.

When we approached the F check-in podium we were greeted with the same rude attitude from a male member of staff. We were told quite rudely that the area was for First clas pax only. Having checked in at EDI the day before we were all in possession of our F boarding passes and I took great pleasure in politely informing the rude agent we re indeed flying F. We never got an apology. As BAGoldBoy stated not a good start to a F trip, it left a very sour taste for a while with all of us!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
So sad ... I have never encountered anything like that using the Club desks. Just a general 'whatever' and efficient processing.

Do whY pax try to use the CW desks at T5?
I only ask, as they are not exactly 'policed', and at the times we usually check in [0900-ish] the staff seem glad to have someone to process rather than to start snapping at us.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:29 pm
Suspended

I can believe that people feel they get occasionally barked at, and I think that is inappropriate on the agent's side, but if you feel that you are are always getting barked at by BA staff, it's probably time to review your own approach to them or perception of being 'barked at', because on well over 100 times I have flown from T5 in the last couple of years I do not recall being barked at even once. I did encounter one very poorly-performing CS agent, but only one. I complained to CR and promptly received an apology for that, so case closed.

The point is, ideally, customer service agents should have the skill to make everyone feel welcome, but it does occasionally fail. Unfortunate, but fact of life, pretty much like occasionally slipping off the stairs. It does not mean BA should accept poor attitude or behaviour from their customer services agent, but it also does not mean passengers should take every one of them as widespread behaviour among BA, or to take it as a personal slight by BA.
Where did I say I was barked at? Why are you questioning my politeness or friendliness?

This is my point with a nice bow on top. Too many assumptions, too much room for assumptions, too much suspicion.

People don't storm the Bastille if everything is operating well outside. If there are all these bad actors, why do you think there are so many? Do you think poor customer service and dehumanizing concepts like cattle class contribute?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:09 pm
Suspended

What's all the fuss about? If you're entitled to use it just walk past the *receptionist*
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by IcHot
Where did I say I was barked at?
You wrote:

If someone barks at me, I will take it personally. I'm sure that if I barked back, that would be judged as a personal affront to the customer service agent.
If you have never been barked at, you are merely making an assumption - something you appear to be objecting to.

You also made an assumption that if you barked back at the customer service agent, it would be judged as a personal affront to the customer service agent. Perhaps, they do not judge it to be a personal affront to them. Some might not even care such is the frequency of being on the receiving end of barking from customers - I have seen enough people bark at CS agents while they are being perfectly polite.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
at BA I expect the ground staff not to shout at me
Ah, yes. You want room 12A, just along the corridor.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by potakas

Gold members are more valuable than the First status-less passengers IMO.
There speaks a new Goldie.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:31 pm

If BA staff members at T5 shout at passengers, they are merely prepping them for security, where passengers are shouted at a lot.

Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I have not once been asked for my Gold card when going through F check-in at T5. In fact, I seem to always be met by one of the chaps from Special Services. They must have a file on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.