Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
But equally, I think that LGW should have been excluded from the policy.

It's bad enough with the overcrowding during the morning rush from the Caribbean/Florida flights, but having the place full of EZY passengers too pushed it to the limit.
Open doors has always been subject to capacity. If it really was EZY pax that pushed the lounge to the limits, then access should have been denied on that basis.
If there is a local problem, it calls for a local solution. Something to do with sledgehammers and nuts...
Old May 20, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What typical UK centric responses from the expected same group of characters. I have never flown EZ, nor do I plan to, but I have found the open doors policy excially the last few years to be perhaps the main reason why I have kept up my GC status, after this/next year (as its already in the bag) I do not think that I will male the effort. BA lost half my business when they changed their program once upon a time. The lost half as much again when they downgraded their product (and so many other carriers I fly improved theirs upfront), however it was nice when flying occasionally from Milan to SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THE UK, to use the BA lounge as it was far superior to what the other airlines there offered. I also like using it in Istanbul at times when flying other airlines as it was less crowded and often closer to the gates I needed. If LGW was a problem......then they should have suspended it for LGW, otherwise I can think of no place except possible GVA where the problems alleged by certain posters would have been an issue. What a mean spirited penny pinching rule change.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Thumbs down Very Bad Decision

I have only used this benefit 3 or 4 times in 10 years but I can imagine that LGW is getting a real pounding from this one due to BA cutting its routes back and EZY filling the gap.

- Why not remove/restrict the benefit at LGW (like GVA) and keep it elsewhere?
- Why not limit it to twice a year with some kind of voucher system if the IT can't cope with policing it.

It feels cheap and spiteful to people who, from a common sample on this board, all spend a lot of money with BA and use it rarely but appreciate the recognition and flexibility that comes with the facility just in case.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by binman
Really cannot understand this.
I imagine it's something along the lines of....BA passengers are having to put up with the heaving mass of EZY freeloaders taking all the goodies and are complaining that the lounges are too busy.
BA have lost their patience and aren't prepared to finance lounge expansion for the benefit of EZY passengers. I would have thought the majority of status holders would appreciate the move.....it should make the lounge experience better.

Just an opinion as I've never been in a lounge where EZY passengers are allowed.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I imagine it's something along the lines of....BA passengers are having to put up with the heaving mass of EZY freeloaders taking all the goodies and are complaining that the lounges are too busy.
BA have lost their patience and aren't prepared to finance lounge expansion for the benefit of EZY passengers. I would have thought the majority of status holders would appreciate the move.....it should make the lounge experience better.

Just an opinion as I've never been in a lounge where EZY passengers are allowed.
I know but ,aren't they GOOD ba customers if they are gold even if occasionally open doors is used.Why píss them off ?
Old May 20, 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Earthman
I know but ,aren't they GOOD ba customers if they are gold even if occasionally open doors is used.
It's the old story of a minority - albeit a growing one - spoiling it for the majority I suppose. I'm not affected by this of course so I would have a different view than most on here.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY

But "EZY freeloaders" don't have access to any BA lounges.

Unless you consider a GCH who happens to be flying on easyjet a freeloader? They can't be flying on easyjet very often if they still manage to maintain Gold in BAEC!
Old May 20, 2011, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I'm not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of this. But unfortunately some people have taken the benefit a bit too far by takng big bags full of food and drink, especially at LGW when they're travelling on easy jet.

Sorry for all those that this affects.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Earthman
I know but ,aren't they GOOD ba customers if they are gold even if occasionally open doors is used.Why píss them off ?
Indeed. But if you could not use such hyperbolic phrases as "EZY freeloaders", how on earth would you mask the wafer-thin superficiality of the argument?
Old May 20, 2011, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But "EZY freeloaders" don't have access to any BA lounges.

Unless you consider a GCH who happens to be flying on easyjet a freeloader? They can't be flying on easyjet very often if they still manage to maintain Gold in BAEC!
Irishguy - as you can see from the above BA GCH's DO have access to lounges, albeit Terraces rather than F lounge.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:24 am
Lux

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Unfortunately some people have taken the benefit a bit too far by takng big bags full of food and drink, especially at LGW when they're travelling on easy jet.
Disappointing but unsurprising (and I'll admit that I've taken a couple of cans of coke when flying in World Traveller).

The frustration - without knowing the full commercial case for BA, where I presume a sensible evaluation has been conducted - is that the benefit has been removed unilaterally, rather than by exception of e.g. LGW.

Feedback - real feedback, unlike that mentioned in the original email! - has been sent to GGL.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Obviously they are....I doubt BA would have done this if it was just the odd one or two.
I imagine the Golds get their status through long haul travel. Their work travel policy will be you fly EZY when in Europe and BA when on long haul. BA won't lose anything through this change in my opinion.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Hmm I will miss this at NCL. I am am occasional flybe (and very occasional ezy) freeloader! . Maybe it is something to do with giving AA and IB top tiers the same benefit and that's just a bit too much?
Old May 20, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Irishguy - as you can see from the above BA GCH's DO have access to lounges, albeit Terraces rather than F lounge.
That point was never in doubt, sunrisegirl!

Though from June 17, they won't have access to either (when in "EZY freeloader" mode).
Old May 20, 2011, 10:28 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Awful
This was one of the main reasons why I kept gold, so when I'm flying out of ORD T5 I actually have a good lounge to use.
For me there is almost no difference between silver and gold anymore. As a EU member, I don't have any gold line to call for irops nor competent BA gold agents. The only difference I see in my case is the better lounge.
Since I already re-qualified for BA gold, looks like now silver will be just fine for me.

Just a horrible move by BA

Not only that, but trying to stay loyal isn't easy as I have to go to a completely different airport to fly BA (WAW instead of KRK). This just really ticks me off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.