Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by arcticfox
Talk about the law of unintended consequences!! Just a couple of hours, amd already the first "bright spark" has highlighted an easy work around!!

So:

- BA has p!ssed of a fair proportion of its most lucrative customers;
- Made minimal true cost savings and probably destroyed a fair bit of value, loyalty and reputation
- Within hours, customers have proposed a "work around" which will net BA no money, but will have a significant "penalty" in admin costs.

I call that a "good result" for your average Harvard-educated consultant!
What I am suggesting actually gets BA Golds the option of using the First lounges as well Club lounges -- that's better than being stuck with the sometimes overstuffed Club lounges when not flying BA and using the official "Open Doors" benefit in prior times.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero

Many BAEC Blue and Silver Card holders may also be aspiring Gold Card holders, so the policy change may be highly pertinent to them.
I agree with the sentiment. However unfortunately I would probably have phrased it in the past tense. So "may also be" changes to "may also have been". Pity.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I must say that this is an odd benefit, frankly. BA probably thinks it will bring back some of the EZY detectors and they are probably right. If you are flying to AMS from LGW then the lounge is the main benefit of BA given the flight time.

It is also worth reminding people of Priority Pass, 2 of which come free with a Plat Amex. In some places this gets you into the same lounge BA uses anyway, eg Hamburg.

And, in discussions of the benefit of Gold, the biggest for me remains not having to requalify for Silver!
Old May 20, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by J-Class
BA will now sell my favourite UD seats to any mug for dollars, so that benefit's gone.
Thanks. That's the first time I've been called a mug by anyone.

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I use EDI, DXB, T3 and less frequently (SIN and BKK). I've managed to use all on 'open doors', because I'm often flying onwards to places that BA don't fly. But in Europe and the US BA lounges are generally much better and at EDI I use the BA lounge even when flying BD, even though I have access there, ditto BKK.

I'm quite disappointed that the perk has been removed, but not surprised. I don't think it will change my travel patterns much, but I wouldn't race for gold to get the additional benefits, if I was struggling to reach the tier. The arrival lounge is a good privilege still, but if connecting to a region I can get a bite and the key thing for me (a shower) at the depareture lounges.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
Think of it positively, many people complaining now have also complained about too many people being in Galleries First Lounge: now there are going to be less because you won't be going in there
First Lounges were not accessible under the Open Doors policy; only Galleries/Terraces/Executive Club lounges.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
BA sale

Wouldn't be surprised if we have a BA sale to anoint the open wounds sometime very soon
Old May 20, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
First Lounges were not accessible under the Open Doors policy; only Galleries/Terraces/Executive Club lounges.
What you have never had you will never miss. Though thanks for the correction, your loss is now my gain.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:34 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I personally used this benefit about 3 times in the last 5 years IIRC. Once at EDI and a couple of times at BRU when flying 9W. Both times at BRU, I had access to the 9W lounge (with much superior F&B) but I popped into the BA lounge only to grab a copy of a local UK paper. So in all, would say this benefit gave me value of about under a tenner in 5 years. So not very valuable one might think.

However, add this to the death by a thousand cuts on other aspects of the BA product,
- incredibly poor food in CW and CE
- really flaky AVOD
- constant union and staff issues threatening ops
Etc etc

and it certainly adds up to a product where BA are a preferred choice on very few long haul routes. Going East, CX is miles ahead if sticking with OW, and SQ,9W etc do a great job as well. (I try avoiding middle east carriers as far as possible.) Going west, AC is superior when going to Canada, both in terms of hard and soft product. The only routes where I choose BA these days are LCY-JFK and some LHR-US nonstops as well as between UK and SA. I really struggle to find any other route where I find BA to be my preferred option.

A sad state of affairs, for a once favourite airline that had a pioneering business class product.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I am disappointed at the removal of this benefit. I have used it a few times over the past few years ( ie in PHX when on US airways, SFO prior to boarding VS ( I had spend most of my time in the VS lounge but went shopping and once airside it was good to have a small drink for a few minutes and EDI when flying FR to Dublin). Limiting it to the Club lounges was useful.

Regards

TBS
Old May 20, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Gaz
Not sure what major advantages Gold offers me now are.
Don't forget you will still be able to use the F check-in desks, if you can be bothered to walk right to the far end of T5

Isn't the bigger issue here not necessarily the policy change itself, but that after this 'plain vanilla' gold will no longer be worth going for as it is no different to silver? I've had fewer flights than usual this year so am taking a couple of Club Europe weekend trips to get to the 1500 points. That's netted BA around £700 they wouldn't have got if I had been happy to drop to Silver. Next year I can't think of many reasons, apart from the inherent snobbery factor of having a gold rather than a silver card, why I would care......
Old May 20, 2011, 12:37 pm

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What I am suggesting actually gets BA Golds the option of using the First lounges as well Club lounges -- that's better than being stuck with the sometimes overstuffed Club lounges when not flying BA and using the official "Open Doors" benefit in prior times.

Indeed - so what BA have done is removed a low cost benefit with the option to "fiddle" a higher cost benefit and add administrative costs and penalties into the bargain! Nice.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold,SQ Gold
Time to voice our opinion

I've just become Gold and it really annoys the h-ll out of me.
One of the main reasons to stay loyal for the last year with BA is for the anytime access,I travel sectors where BA doesn't fly to,so a lounge is always welcome.
When they mentioned a feedback from customers I had to laugh,I can't see ANY goldcardholder EVER asking for a reduction of service,especially one such as access to lounges.
It's a blatant lie and nothing more than that.
If BA's target is to attract more continental customers then they're in for a laugh.BA offers nothing better than Staralliance or Skyblue and their Silver cardholders have just no access to firstclass lounge,of which there are only a few in the world.
My guess is that they'll next raise the tier ceiling for silver and their access to the lounges.
The logic is if you demote one group's perks,you have to demote the other's as well.
If each and every one of you would just take 2 minutes of your time to call your executive club contact number and complain about this measure taken then it would make a difference since they have to report to their superiors,only 2 minutes of your time,that's all it takes and it's all it took me.

Cheers,

A disgruntled new GCH
Old May 20, 2011, 12:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by AJLondon
I personally used this benefit about 3 times in the last 5 years IIRC. Once at EDI and a couple of times at BRU when flying 9W. Both times at BRU, I had access to the 9W lounge (with much superior F&B) but I popped into the BA lounge only to grab a copy of a local UK paper. So in all, would say this benefit gave me value of about under a tenner in 5 years. So not very valuable one might think.

However, add this to the death by a thousand cuts on other aspects of the BA product,
- incredibly poor food in CW and CE
- really flaky AVOD
- constant union and staff issues threatening ops
Etc etc

and it certainly adds up to a product where BA are a preferred choice on very few long haul routes. Going East, CX is miles ahead if sticking with OW, and SQ,9W etc do a great job as well. (I try avoiding middle east carriers as far as possible.) Going west, AC is superior when going to Canada, both in terms of hard and soft product. The only routes where I choose BA these days are LCY-JFK and some LHR-US nonstops as well as between UK and SA. I really struggle to find any other route where I find BA to be my preferred option.

A sad state of affairs, for a once favourite airline that had a pioneering business class product.
You've got me thinking…

During the 6 years this benefit has been available to me, I have used it only twice but boy, did I appreciate it on each occasion.

So for the bean counters at Waterworld, here's what you're gaining from me per annum by removing this benefit:
- 1/3rd glass of tomato juice + 2 ice cubes
- 1/3rd copy of The Scotsman
- 1/3rd dose of expresso
Old May 20, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Bretto
When they mentioned a feedback from customers I had to laugh,I can't see ANY goldcardholder EVER asking for a reduction of service,especially one such as access to lounges.
It's a blatant lie and nothing more than that.
I doubt BA are lying. As others have said, I suspect the 'feedback' was something like "Why is it I can never find a seat in the LGW lounge?" and this is BA's solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.