Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by PaxCGN
It's a damn shame this was decided, but it was waiting to happen! I can't recall how often I have been joking with the lounge-receptionists whenever using the lounge, but not flying BA, if "Willie" hadn't already forbidden my entry.
Oh dear - that's the feedback mentioned in the email then.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
I got the email and am a little disappointed too. It had its uses for me personally as quite a few BA lounges within the US are available for those travelling other carriers. Particularly on *A where the equivalent lounges are well, not equivalent!

For all those of you who are emailing in threaten to, er, cancel your bookings with other carriers if Open Doors isn't reinstated. That'll get 'em

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Stop enhancing our benefits, for God's sake...
For Gold's sake?
Old May 20, 2011, 12:01 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
For me it was a big benefit. I didn't use it much (2-3 times a year) but I liked having it.

Not sure what major advantages Gold offers me now are. F lounges across the oneworld network is the only main one, but the J ones usually are nearly as good anyway, and in a lot of places like most of the US, there are no F lounges.

I'll probably still make Gold this year, but if it comes down to the crunch and I'm not going to hit the top tier in all three alliances, BA probably won't be where I'll be stacking my flights. BA Gold is without a doubt more useful than KL/AF Plat, which offers basically nothing over Gold (equiv BA Silver), but AC Super Elite gives you unlimited redemptions for more or less the same miles even when the flights have no redemption seats - a benefit really worth shooting for.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:01 pm

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
BA Golds can continue to use refundable/changeable tickets for BA operated flights to access BA First and Club lounges -- so out with BA's version of "Open Doors" and in with a more personalized, self-sponsored, creative version of "Open Doors".
Talk about the law of unintended consequences!! Just a couple of hours, amd already the first "bright spark" has highlighted an easy work around!!

So:

- BA has p!ssed of a fair proportion of its most lucrative customers;
- Made minimal true cost savings and probably destroyed a fair bit of value, loyalty and reputation
- Within hours, customers have proposed a "work around" which will net BA no money, but will have a significant "penalty" in admin costs.

I call that a "good result" for your average Harvard-educated consultant!
Old May 20, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good business decisions even those like this one which have a very small impact on so called "loyal" customers are never going to be met with a positive response. I very much doubt the Open Doors policy is responsible for retaining many BA Golds loyalty to the company.
You keep on about London pax which is pointless. You are missing the VERY important business issue I noted above in post #165. BA still regards gaining market share in Europe as critical to its business. That is what the focus should be on. This benefit has little to offer most UK passengers.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Exactly, chipster.

I can't imagine every EZY flight from LGW is packed with BA Golds!!!
You'd be very surprised then!
Old May 20, 2011, 12:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by hfly
Then Tupelo, as you have never been a BAEC Gold, you really have no say in this issue, do you.
Consider this, if you possibly can...

BAEC Silver Card Holders, BA Club Europe/Club World/Business UK customers jolly well do have a say in this matter as they are the ones sharing the very same lounges BA GCH's use when flying on non-oneworld carriers, no?

Many BAEC Blue and Silver Card holders may also be aspiring Gold Card holders, so the policy change may be highly pertinent to them.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Very bad, but very good.
Well speaking as a Blue member who lost the desire to attain premium status after the seating fiasco, the only comfort is that BA can't take away too many benefits as we don't have that many. If anyone thinks this has encouraged me to think about going for status again is sadly mistaken.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm
Old May 20, 2011, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arcticfox
Talk about the law of unintended consequences!! Just a couple of hours, amd already the first "bright spark" has highlighted an easy work around!!
Not the first time it's been mentioned! First time in this context, though, as previously GCHs had no need to do this.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Even if it is true, BA should be asking itself why pampered, well-paid EC Golds are choosing to fly the budgets rather than BA (clearly their offering is no longer compelling) rather than removing one of the few remaining incentinves to keep their HIGH VALUE business travel with BA rather than the many other very capable full-service airlines.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Well speaking as a Blue member who lost the desire to attain premium status after the seating fiasco, the only comfort is that BA can't take away too many benefits as we don't have that many.
How true. To go further, I'm starting to see that now that the so called "premium" products and FF benefits are now so minimal, I might just as well always find the cheapest, best timed flight with any acceptable carrier and use my "savings" to have a damn good meal and drink in one of the many good restaurants at most major airports. If this continues, it really will be a rapid "race to the bottom", and BA is certainly not well placed against either the low costs for "Short Haul" or the Singapore Airlines & Emirates at the premium LH end.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hfly

moral_low_ground............you do realize that many of us fly US carriers. I point this out because besides pointing out "US airlines" rather than let's say every airline in the World, what you wrote was in fact a half truth wasn't it? There are US carriers that allow top tier members to have complimentary lounge membership, I've had it in 12 of the past 14 years with Delta, almost all allow premium passengers to use the lounges, and several, including one which you noted DO in fact give complimentary access to overseas card holders, Not that what you wrote had anything really to do with the subject at hand anyway. How exactly if I am flying MXP-IST am I giving custom to a "competitor"? BA doesn't fly that route, as a matter of fact no 1world carrier does so. Please explain (but we are getting here again a small view UK-centric view of the matter).
Why should BA give you access to their lounge when flying MXP-IST.

It is very unusual to get benefit when you buy a product that has NOTHING to do with those giving out the benefit. It's reasonable to assume some association necessary (such as Oneworld)

Does Delta accommodate you in their lounge when flying BA ?

In the end BA are just clearing up an exception that is little used by most and is reasonable (if not welcome).

Like most NIMBY's people are protesting just for the sake of it when in reality the effect is minimal.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Having a bit of deja vu here. Exactly the same outrage several months ago when QF dropped the the same benefit. The effect there, along with other "enhancements" was a massive upswing in business for the domestic competition, DJ.

I've only been BA Gold for 2 months, so I will probably never get to use this benefit before it disappears on virtually no notice at all.

I agree with others that the outrage is inversely proportional to the degree of difference left between BA Silver and Gold. If you don't live near a First lounge, there is no incentive left for the extra 900 tier credits. Might as well give that revenue to another carrier, say one with a lifetime status benefit?

Some members have spoken of "unpublished" benefits of gold. Well, when you are travelling domestic H class and want to take an earlier flight, as a Gold Card Holder you can pay an extra GBP183 for GLA-LHR one way on top of what what you already paid, or wait 6 hours for the flight you originally booked - just like everyone else. No unpublished benefit there. No benefit at all, actually.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I must book a flight to LGW on June 18th then, to inspect the deserted BA lounge!!!
Old May 20, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Think of it positively, many people complaining now have also complained about too many people being in Galleries First Lounge: now there are going to be less because you won't be going in there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.