Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Logged in this morning (c. 0845 BST) to check something online and saw a banner that said "New Lounge Access Rules for Gold Members" with a picture of the T5 First lounge tinged in golden hues. When I clicked through I got an error message. I'm assuming nothing new has come out but wondered if this is a precursor to an announcement that maybe mistakenly got put on the site...

Any ideas?
Old May 20, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
hopefully "are allowed to bring two guests into Galleries Club Lounges"
Old May 20, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I read this and got a sick feeling to my stomach about Open Doors.

Sure enough, the BA.com lounge access tables by status no longer indicate Open Doors exists.
Oh no. Please no.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Indeed, that row has been removed from the table: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb
Old May 20, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
RIP - Open Doors

and just confirm it has gone here is a cached pages on google

Google Cached Page
Old May 20, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
OMG No!!!!

If it is the case then for me there is no reason to remain gold. Living 'up north' this is the most important difference between silver and gold. I frequently use Sleazyjet MAN-AMS and use the BA lounge.

If it's all over then I'll allow myself to drop to silver as there's no point in me being gold any longer.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Must admit I never used this. Having said that any time I was travelling on another carrier, there wasn't a BA lounge there...
Old May 20, 2011, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not surprised....it was a weird benefit to give.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
And even weirder to take it away. I'm no longer Gold and never will be again, but I can understand how this will cheese off GCHs.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Not that I'd used it, but I don't find it at all weird. You are loyal to BA by flying enough to get Gold, and if they don't fly to where you want to and/or someone else does it significantly cheaper, you still get to use the lounge.

I now really can't see much differentiator between Silver and Gold, certainly not enough to make it worth any hassle of TP runs etc..
Old May 20, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I now really can't see much differentiator between Silver and Gold, certainly not enough to make it worth any hassle of TP runs etc..
That's right; the open door perk and perhaps the arrival lounge perk were two quite big differentiators I thought, although more useful to some than others - being diminished.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another point of differentiation between Gold and Tin has gone.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not that I'd used it, but I don't find it at all weird.
Encouraging you to fly with your competitors seems to me to be a weird way of running your business.
All those Gold card holders drinking and eating in your lounge then buggering off when the Easyjet flights start boarding.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
You wait until the sh*t hits the fan! You will find that there is a magnitude of difference between the way Golds and lesser beings are treated. None of it is published but having been the beneficiary of the unwritten rules I can assure you that it is there and does make a difference!
Old May 20, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Encouraging you to fly with your competitors seems to me to be a weird way of running your business.
All those Gold card holders drinking and eating in your lounge then buggering off when the Easyjet flights start boarding.
I suspect it is the EZY-flying hordes that have killed it off. But it hardly encouraged people to fly with their competitors.

I only used it a very few times at LHR and in Asia when flying on some crappy airlines with dismal lounges or when in Y. It was once of those things that helped build brand loyalty - how nice to be in a BA lounge rather than XYZ airlines hell hole (like the old, old TG lounges at Don Muang).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.