Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
They can't be flying on easyjet very often if they still manage to maintain Gold in BAEC!
This is false.

Consider a passenger in the UK regions, Newcastle say.

She flies Singapore in First four times a year, yielding 400 TPs a trip, so 1,600 TPs and Gold annually.

The same passenger may fly to Belfast 40 times a year on easyJet. Is it justifiable that her 4 F trips on BA should give her access to the BA lounge on 40 other times? Maybe, maybe not.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hfly
Then Tupelo, as you have never been a BAEC Gold, you really have no say in this issue, do you.
Ballcocks.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:26 am

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by Tupelo
I agree with Hiddy, no reason to let even your best customers raid your lounge, even once or twice a year, while giving their custom to a competitor. That's just silly. Reward them in other ways. Just my opinion.

Full disclosure: I've never been gold, but have maintained silver for a few years now.
I am compelled to disagree. The benefit had minimal cost, but was both a differentiator over the competition and moreover a disincentive to seek status with other carriers. Having looked objectively at my flying patterns, I have come to the conclusion M&M SEN is now probably a more attractive proposition. Sad, but true.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Seen as every other FFP has done away with the benefit. One hardly needs to have attended Harvard to understand what lies behind BA making this change.
I am not convinced that copy the competition is always the best thing to do. In this case I am not convinced that I see the benefit.

I see the case for a LGW exclusion but I cannot see the benefits elsewhere. Particularly outside of Europe.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
Then Tupelo, as you have never been a BAEC Gold, you really have no say in this issue, do you.
Excuse me all to h-ll.... Mods, may we please rename this thread to add: "...participation restricted to Gold card holders only...."?
Old May 20, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Seen as every other FFP has done away with the benefit. One hardly needs to have attended Harvard to understand what lies behind BA making this change.
Indeed and precisely why the BA flyers-specific assumptions that you were making in the post I referenced were unconvincing and L-O-M's post #142 makes a rather more compelling case of what is happening.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Most airports now have decent bars, restaurants, free wifi etc so what exactly are you going to miss ?? Do you really object to having to pay £5-£10 for a drink and snack rather than raid it from a buffet style Terraces lounge ?
At T5 I often go to Plane Food for breakfast rather than raid a bacon roll from the Galleries Club.

But in the event of a delay the lounges can be handy. As they can if I am a bit hot and bothered having just carried my heavy cabin bag down 2 miles of corridors and fancy a shower.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poor form.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
BA Golds can continue to use refundable/changeable tickets for BA operated flights to access BA First and Club lounges -- so out with BA's version of "Open Doors" and in with a more personalized, self-sponsored, creative version of "Open Doors".
Old May 20, 2011, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by csdavidson
Must admit I never used this. Having said that any time I was travelling on another carrier, there wasn't a BA lounge there...
My thoughts exactly.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:44 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
It was a nice perk, in comparison with other FFPs. I never actually could use it, as most of my travel is in the Schengen zone and most Schengen airports have rules about not going to the non-Schengen gates without a boarding pass for a non-Schengen flight.

OTOH, I fully understand the irritation of UK-based GCHs as this is a definitely step down to an ever lower industry-wide standard.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:45 am
uk1
Suspended

I agree with Hiddy, no reason to let even your best customers raid your lounge, even once or twice a year, while giving their custom to a competitor. That's just silly. Reward them in other ways. Just my opinion.
There are in fact some good reasons.

It may be that BA saw the programme in the "old market" in addition to being a benefit to Golds - also as being a cost-effective way of marketing to the traveling friends and work colleagues of Golds who were currently traveling on other metal. This also cemented in the Gold because the more he used the facility and "showed off" to his friends - the more he didn't want to lose it.

When lounges weren't so busy, then the incremental cost was very small. Also the marketing was a relatively cheap and potentially valuable competitor defection tool. It's only when the market changed and companies business travel policies changed and when this coincides with the lounges becoming cramped, and the potential to irritate other Golds and when there seems a danger of triggering the need for lounge enlargement that the costs escalate. This may have coincided with the perceived marketing value to BA receding.

I don't know but I can see how the marketing usefulness might have been perceived as high value / low cost to BA - but now seems low value / high cost to BA.

Last edited by uk1; May 20, 2011 at 11:52 am
Old May 20, 2011, 11:52 am

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
This is false.

Consider a passenger in the UK regions, Newcastle say.

She flies Singapore in First four times a year, yielding 400 TPs a trip, so 1,600 TPs and Gold annually.

The same passenger may fly to Belfast 40 times a year on easyJet. Is it justifiable that her 4 F trips on BA should give her access to the BA lounge on 40 other times? Maybe, maybe not.
While that sort of flying pattern seems highly far fetched to me (and unlikely to be replicated widely) - 4 times F LH will be a very high-margin chunk of flying, and not the sort of flying you want to lose to competitors. 40 times 3 gin and tonics, a couple of packs of kettle chips and some sandwiches and minor "wear and tear" to seats seems a very small price to pay compared to losing that business to the far superior F offering from Singapore Airlines!! The true cost will be a drop in the ocean compared to the profits made.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Excuse me all to h-ll.... Mods, may we please rename this thread to add: "...participation restricted to Gold card holders only...."?
Go on - be a devil. Use the "e" next time.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NickB
Indeed and precisely why the BA flyers-specific assumptions that you were making in the post I referenced were unconvincing and L-O-M's post #142 makes a rather more compelling case of what is happening.
Good business decisions even those like this one which have a very small impact on so called "loyal" customers are never going to be met with a positive response. I very much doubt the Open Doors policy is responsible for retaining many BA Golds loyalty to the company. I bet there are many Golds who don't even know about the benefit never mind use it.
As for those London based passengers moaning about BA not serving your route thus forcing you on to EZY....come on, that's a lame excuse. You should go try living in the regions.
At least you have several Onworld carriers from LHR you can use and still get lounge access. If none of them fly your route then it obviously isn't a money earner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.