Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This thread really should be "The Gold polish ran out"...

Only used the benefit once when I had Gold, out of T1 flying to HAN with BMI. It was a useful touch, but dont blame BA for cutting it.

Once someone has reached Gold, what was to keep customers from not flying EZY. I mean,you get lounge access, and dont EZY give Golds free Speedy Boarding.

All this talk of "well it will make me question my loyalty to BA." Personally, I think that's a load of tosh. It will make people fly BA more, to get the perks of the lounge access on routes where they'd previously been saving a few quid any flying EZY.

And for people who want lounge access - just get a Priority Pass card. Simple as that?
Old May 20, 2011, 12:51 pm

At least there should be more seats in the T5 Galleries for CW/CE passengers now.

Come to think of it, it won't make any difference. Sorry for that, but it may make a difference outside of LHR.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveF
At least there should be more seats in the T5 Galleries for CW/CE passengers now.
Nope. It will remain exactly the same since you cannot be in T5 galeries and flying on another airline than BA.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
No, not really. Only BA fly out of T5, so Open Doors was of no benefit to Golds in T5 - they were already flying BA??????

Only seconds in it NickB!
Old May 20, 2011, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by 747_not_777
No, not really. Only BA fly out of T5, so Open Doors was of no benefit to Golds in T5 - they were already flying BA??????

Only seconds in it NickB!
And you both got in seconds before I corrected it.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EZY solution would be for them to open a lounge at LGW.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good business decisions even those like this one which have a very small impact on so called "loyal" customers are never going to be met with a positive response. I very much doubt the Open Doors policy is responsible for retaining many BA Golds loyalty to the company. I bet there are many Golds who don't even know about the benefit never mind use it.
As for those London based passengers moaning about BA not serving your route thus forcing you on to EZY....come on, that's a lame excuse. You should go try living in the regions.
At least you have several Onworld carriers from LHR you can use and still get lounge access. If none of them fly your route then it obviously isn't a money earner.
while by all means i also hate to see perks vanish from the FFPs i am in, you have a point:
i am GCH because i fly BA, not flying them to be GCH...
Old May 20, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
To quote Mark Lamarr from Never Mind the Buzzcocks

"And they said you couldn't polish one"
Old May 20, 2011, 12:59 pm

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
In the end BA are just clearing up an exception that is little used by most and is reasonable (if not welcome).

Like most NIMBY's people are protesting just for the sake of it when in reality the effect is minimal.
While I suspect you are partially right that the FREQUENCY with which most GCHs use this benefit is low (in spite of examples given for LGW), I think the number of GCHs who have availed themselves of the service is probably quite large, even if only once or twice. There is an additional, as yet unmentioned, benefit of this perk - that of a sort of "FF respite insurance policy", whereby when travelling on alternative carriers, there is a certain "comfort" factor in knowing their is a chance of some sanctuary if things do go wrong and you are facing 6 hours stuck somewhere without the benefits of status with a different carrier or the dismal service of a budget carrier. If that insurance policy no longer applies, I might as well buy a Priority Pass and just buy only the cheapest flights I can find. That is going to do nothing to gain my loyalty or increase margins for BA.

And for me, the effect is more than minimal - it is significant enough for me (in fairness combined with a reduction of frequency on my regular route) to cancel my plans for a quick CE return for no other purpose to retain Gold, and as of June 6th (my last existing BA booking) to look to LH/LX to get to SEN
Old May 20, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
I must say that this is an odd benefit, frankly. BA probably thinks it will bring back some of the EZY detectors and they are probably right.
I very much doubt it. Certaintly, based on my personal experience, this is unlikely to result in my shifting any of my (relatively few) EZY flights towards BA.

If the price differential is small, don't you believe that most GCHs would fly BA anyway?

And if the price differential is large, do you really think that lounge access is going to change anything? Heck, if you are really desperate about lounge access, you can buy it at LGW N for £20. So you would have to have large differential for this to be a clincher. With a price differential of only £20, I guess that most GCHs would fly BA anyway.

I think that it is simplistic to assume that doing away with open doors will bring people back from EZY. It strikes me as unlikely to do so beyond the negligible. So it boils down to what BA saves in lounge catering (which cannot be that substantial) versus what they lose among the worldwide frequent flyers who will shift business when they have reached silver (or every other year if they renew gold every two years) towards other alliances in order to maintain status there. I just cannot see this equation turning to BA's advantage.

That is where the parallel between BA and LH breaks down: there is a much more significant difference in M&M between FTL and SEN than between SCH and GCH in BAEC, with the consequence that there is still a major incentive for SENs to requalify. Not so for GCHs in BAEC.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by sunseeker
while by all means i also hate to see perks vanish from the FFPs i am in, you have a point:
i am GCH because i fly BA, not flying them to be GCH...
I see it differently - I am a top status holder because I have to fly a lot;
I am a Gold Card Holder because I CHOSE to fly (mostly) with BA
I CHOSE to fly BA, because their service/FFP was more beneficial than the competition;
I will now reconsider my choice, because this is no longer true for me.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It won't affect T5 at all! There are no non-BA flights out of T5!!!
Old May 20, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
EZY solution would be for them to open a lounge at LGW.
They already sell lounge access.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
I very much doubt it. Certaintly, based on my personal experience, this is unlikely to result in my shifting any of my (relatively few) EZY flights towards BA.

If the price differential is small, don't you believe that most GCHs would fly BA anyway?

And if the price differential is large, do you really think that lounge access is going to change anything? Heck, if you are really desperate about lounge access, you can buy it at LGW N for £20. So you would have to have large differential for this to be a clincher. With a price differential of only £20, I guess that most GCHs would fly BA anyway.

I think that it is simplistic to assume that doing away with open doors will bring people back from EZY. It strikes me as unlikely to do so beyond the negligible. So it boils down to what BA saves in lounge catering (which cannot be that substantial) versus what they lose among the worldwide frequent flyers who will shift business when they have reached silver (or every other year if they renew gold every two years) towards other alliances in order to maintain status there. I just cannot see this equation turning to BA's advantage.

That is where the parallel between BA and LH breaks down: there is a much more significant difference in M&M between FTL and SEN than between SCH and GCH in BAEC, with the consequence that there is still a major incentive for SENs to requalify. Not so for GCHs in BAEC.
I agree - I sispect the big winners at LGW will be (1) Priority Pass and the Servisair(?) lounge and (2) Easyjet with marginally higher food/drink sales. Possibly the food/drink outlets too.

I agree that the difference between FTL and SEN is much more compelling, and if like me (and no doubt many others) you fly enough for one "full" and one "lower" tier status, the more sensible option now is *A top and OW middle.

BA policy here seems: Load weapon; aim at foot; slowly squeeze trigger....
Old May 20, 2011, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by arcticfox
I am a Gold Card Holder because I CHOSE to fly (mostly) with BA
A lot of Gold card holders don't get to choose who they fly with. It is their employers who decide. Hence why a lot of Goldies are put on EZY flights when flying in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.