FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1117885-pro-active-upgrade-cost-tracking-questions-thread.html)

binman Jul 29, 2011 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 15242429)
GBP399, about 30% of the time this year. The appearance of the offer closely correlates with me being upgraded so unsurprisingly I have not taken advantage yet. A close reading of the loads and F seat map will give s good steer.

How do you access BA seta maps for F when not booked in F? I am going to HKG in August and would certainly consider £399.

stifle Jul 30, 2011 4:36 am

Originally Posted by herbchris53 (Post 16821726)
Just booked a flight JFK-LHR - company is paying so I had to book WT. Was offered upgrade to WT+ outbound for $160 which I took. Return leg WT+ is $768. Is there any likelihood of this number changing closer to departure time?

Probably; as always it'll depend on load levels.

Originally Posted by binman (Post 16822162)
How do you access BA seta maps for F when not booked in F? I am going to HKG in August and would certainly consider £399.

So would I on my LHR-SIN in October. I use the KVS tool (which is a subscription service) and I or many other forum users would be happy to share the load levels and seat maps for any flight given date and flight number. There is probably an assortment of other paid-for and possibly free ways of getting the details too.

By way of example, on 10AUG11, BA27 is sold-out in F but wide-open in J, W, and Y.

stifle Jul 30, 2011 4:40 am

Originally Posted by catwood (Post 16792139)
actually it is a bit of a cost saving issue..the flight was pretty expensive to begin with.
It's sitting at J1 C1 D1 R1 I1 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 G0 which leads me to believe i might get an op up ..

So did you get an op-up? I wouldn't have rated your chances too highly as a OWS, because you'll be behind BAP, BAG, OWE, and BAS in the rankings for an upgrade.

chad3 Jul 30, 2011 9:32 am

Originally Posted by binman (Post 16822162)

if you are happy with more basic information, you can learn a lot from seatguru.com. if you know the aircraft type from when you are making the booking (click on the flight number) you can check out that aircraft type on the aforementioned site and see the configuration. Its not 100% accurate every time but its served me well

that said, is there a bad seat in new F?

squeeler Jul 30, 2011 4:24 pm

£25 Geneva to LHR last week' at time of OLCI. (Not me, a friend checking-in his parents). Good deal IMHO.

catwood Jul 30, 2011 6:07 pm

I didn't get an op up..i do however recommend the WT+ bulkhead..lots of room.

TravellerFrequently Jul 31, 2011 1:18 am

A friend is being offered a special price of £69 for an upgrade to CE for LHR-BCN.

The return price to upgrade is a not special £253.26.

britbronco22 Jul 31, 2011 4:05 am

Originally Posted by squeeler (Post 16828890)
£25 Geneva to LHR last week' at time of OLCI. (Not me, a friend checking-in his parents). Good deal IMHO.

£25??? You can't be serious! That is someway below anything we have seen mentioned here so far I think.

clubman Jul 31, 2011 7:23 am

Indeed, £25 is a joke.

clubman Jul 31, 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by catwood (Post 16829259)
I didn't get an op up..i do however recommend the WT+ bulkhead..lots of room.

You're referring to what? :confused:

rossmacd Jul 31, 2011 7:25 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 16831174)
Indeed, £25 is a joke.

Surely £25 for a one-way upgrade to CE is just devaluing the cabin, and the associated services it offers? :confused:

BizFlyin Jul 31, 2011 8:15 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 16831178)
Surely £25 for a one-way upgrade to CE is just devaluing the cabin, and the associated services it offers? :confused:

Why op-up if you can get £25? Seems like good business sense to me if they offered it at the very last moment.

Palmer Jul 31, 2011 11:41 am

I've seen £13 but this was during the booking process and was only the difference bewteen a particularly high ET fare and the published CE fare. I've never had anything under £59 at OLCI.

Palmer

squeeler Jul 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by britbronco22 (Post 16830713)
£25??? You can't be serious! That is someway below anything we have seen mentioned here so far I think.

Why would I joke? He told me, did it for both aged parents returning from Geneva. Worked out fine.

Swanhunter Jul 31, 2011 3:50 pm

:D Not much in CE to devalue...

rossmacd Jul 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 16833372)
:D Not much in CE to devalue...

We know that :p, but with the current marketing BA is dishing out about how exclusive CE is, surely £25 is making a mockery of that? :rolleyes:

Lux Jul 31, 2011 10:41 pm

Kuwait to London offered J to F upgrade for 360KD, which is £800, on an extremely lightly loaded flight. Not falling for that one. Conversely on the outbound to Dubai the flight was oversold and I was upgraded to F, but nok upselling at OLCI or the airport. The upgrade was issued when arriving at the lounge despite having checked in at the machine a few minutes earlier.

Such is the unpredictability of life!

Jimmy Bond Aug 1, 2011 7:41 am

£79 each one way LHR - ATH in MMB. July 2011

sheppy26 Aug 1, 2011 1:52 pm

CE upgrade to IST

Sorry chaps and chappesses, I should have put this one up earlier -

I booked a Euro traveller return from LHR to IST a couple of weeks ago for travel in October and soon as I paid I was offered CE upgrade for £79 each way which I went with. Given that I also had only paid £98.70 for the original ticket then this works out about half of a normal CE return.

It might still be available if anyone is interested?

Sheppy

Bloomsbury Aug 2, 2011 12:00 pm

Been offered the standard £399 for LHR-JFK from WT+ to CW.

I want to take it but the system keeps saying there is a temporary fault. Funnily enough, it works if I upgrade both legs, but the second leg is £2500+.

Really annoying! Let's hope it's fixed tomorrow!

britenbsas Aug 2, 2011 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bloomsbury (Post 16844944)
I want to take it but the system keeps saying their is a temporary fault. Funnily enough, it works if I upgrade both legs, but the second leg is £2500+.

Really annoying! Let's hope it's fixed tomorrow!

I wouldn't count on it. I had this "error" appear consistently when trying to upgrade the outbound leg of an itinerary a couple of months back. The website took me straight to the payment page when opting to upgrade both legs but wasn't having any of it for just the one leg. I ended up having to do it over the phone (same price as offered online and no phone fees). Sounds like the bug lives on!

sheppy26 Aug 2, 2011 2:44 pm

And now have just booked FRA - I'm getting into this "hunt the upgrades" lark!

Just booked to Frankfurt for Feb next year, and was offered £150+ each way which I declined. then following the payment step, was offered £59 each way up to CE, so took 'em!

stifle Aug 5, 2011 3:23 am

Will there be problems with a POAG if the passenger has requested a special meal?

sklar Aug 5, 2011 3:43 am

Originally Posted by sheppy26 (Post 16846280)
Just booked to Frankfurt for Feb next year, and was offered £150+ each way which I declined. then following the payment step, was offered £59 each way up to CE, so took 'em!

I too was offered £59 each way to FRA in MMB for when I go to the the motor show in September so bit their arm off!

Now just got to order the Kosher meal ;)

Vessel18 Aug 5, 2011 4:59 am

Apologies if this is a daft question. Do fixed price POUG offers only become available through MMB at a certain time before departure, or are they going to be there from the time of booking if they are going to be available at all?

stifle Aug 5, 2011 5:03 am

Can be either, with the exception of travel agent bookings which will only show up from OLCI (T-24) onwards.

BicesterTerrier Aug 9, 2011 11:00 am

Spoke to BAEC this morning re POU, no special offers but she confirmed £200 is standard WT to WT+ EZE-LHR. When it is offered, I am 3 days out and no special offers, paid the additinal fees though......

britbronco22 Aug 9, 2011 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier (Post 16888672)
Spoke to BAEC this morning re POU, no special offers but she confirmed £200 is standard WT to WT+ EZE-LHR. When it is offered, I am 3 days out and no special offers, paid the additinal fees though......

What additional fees?

sheppy26 Aug 9, 2011 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by sheppy26 (Post 16846280)

I was suprised that the upgrade had been offered so far out as a "special offer" only available on MMB. I have also booked a return LGW-MRS for May next year and again was offered £59 each way so, again took them up on their offer.

Now all I need is for an offer from WT+ to CW (or, wishfully thinking to F!) for my upcoming trip to JFK and return from IAD. Anyone know the chances as its an open jaw? I seem to remember that the offers seem to be on straight return flights, but here's hoping!

BicesterTerrier Aug 9, 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by britbronco22 (Post 16889595)
What additional fees?

Obviously the ones they waive to make it a special offer.....£18 additional taxes, £100 penalty to reissue the ticket, plus £30 admin! I would have held out for a POU but I am travelling tomorrow and Thursday and don't want to wait till I get to the airport on Friday morning. So £140 more than I had budgeted for, but I am sure I will be okay. I questioned the figures, and the lady suggested that's why they call them special offers. I figured taking a POU would have been less than upgrading solely, but hadn't quite figured the totals....

orbitmic Aug 10, 2011 5:58 am

Offered €59 upgrade on NCE-LHR (single, original price was around €100 so not the cheapest).

ccordova624 Aug 10, 2011 9:14 am

IAD-LHR WT+ to Club

US$400 I paid to upgrade my W fare (WT+) from AMEX TA to Club World. My return flight was upraded for free the night before not sure why. But the flight was 100% full.

Both flights were in the 747-400

stifle Aug 10, 2011 10:05 am

Originally Posted by ccordova624 (Post 16895115)
My return flight was upraded for free the night before not sure why.

That strange yellowy-orange card you have, plus

Originally Posted by ccordova624 (Post 16895115)
the flight was 100% full.

will be your answer. It's called an op-up, or operational upgrade.

Beaulieu Aug 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Just offered (in MMB) on both LGW-AMS and return sectors £49 upgrade in each direction from Y to J for a booking middle of September.

stifle Aug 11, 2011 5:42 am

The EDI ticket desk is still displaying a notice offering blanket £179 WTP upgrades for pax connecting elsewhere.

JohnnyUMF Aug 11, 2011 7:51 am

Upgrade to First

Arrived at JFK and inquired about paid ugprade from CW to First, was told no longer available by one agent and another said it had never been possible. Whats the actual status on this?

sheppy26 Aug 11, 2011 5:53 pm

MAD - ET to CE - £69 each way

Me again!

Another trippette booked. This time a quick trip to MAD to get the final 80 tierpoints needed to get Siler before my batch of long hauls start.

The original ticket was something like £130 and during booking the system was offering around £250 each way to upgrade so naturally I declined. After paying I went back into MMB and there it was - the £69 each way offer. The things we do to get the status to enable 100% bonus miles, free seat reservations and the like!

FlightNurse Aug 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Was the CW ticket a paid ticket? Many people have $ paid upgrade from CW to F.. Call BA...

Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF (Post 16901931)
Arrived at JFK and inquired about paid ugprade from CW to First, was told no longer available by one agent and another said it had never been possible. Whats the actual status on this?

jaguarpig Aug 12, 2011 3:14 am

In MMB just been offered from paid WT+ to CW for £339 EWR-LHR.

britbronco22 Aug 25, 2011 9:15 am

I have been offered LHR-LIS and LIS-LHR for £59 each way in MMB.

I couldn't find any previous mention of the Lisbon price. I'm mulling over whether to accept, if I needed the tier points I would snap them up, but I will be gold by then and planning a soft landing to silver. (Although introduction of life time status could change my attitude to TPs!).
Currently I am planning to just upgrade the inbound, as it covers a meal time and the Lisbon lounge doesn't look up to much. The outbound would be afternoon tea, and we should be fully refreshed from the Flounge!