FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1117885-pro-active-upgrade-cost-tracking-questions-thread.html)

Athlete95 Dec 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl (Post 17620809)
Yes, £399 per person IF available, and as Paralytic says it's a big IF.

CW is usually 100% full on this flight, with WT+ being next full. Sometimes WT can be quite empty.

It is a very busy honeymoon route and we get asked at least 20 times each flight for upgrades.

SRG is correct... MLE very very busy and fills from the front! WT is often fairly busy but can be quiet or rammed full during the holiday season.

Op-Up's do not really happen on this route due to the filling from the front although I have seen it happen once.

Swanhunter Dec 15, 2011 6:54 am

At IST (not often offered)

WT to WT+ (so just for the longhaul sector when connecting through LHR)
US/Canada Euro 175
Everywhere else Euro 225

ET to CE to LHR
Euro 170 (so in line with the usual Band 4 POUG pricing)

All subject to availability of course.

Felixberlin Dec 17, 2011 5:31 am

Price discrimination based on take-up rates?

Was looking to upgrade a few more of my LHR-MUC and MUC-LHR sectors which used to cost £59/€59 o/w.

Now the prices quoted have gone up to £79/€79 :eek:

Would anyone have any insight on whether this is (a) a wholesale adjustment or (b) a personalized price increase? I am wondering because I have been using the option quite consistently over the last three months (last week I upgraded a handful of bookings in one go).

Any insights would be much appreciated.

angatol Dec 17, 2011 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Felixberlin (Post 17643614)
Would anyone have any insight on whether this is (a) a wholesale adjustment or (b) a personalized price increase?

My FCO-LHR MMB upgrade went up from 69 to 79 euro yesterday too.

dodgeflyer Dec 17, 2011 5:53 am

Have an upgrade offer from OSL-LHR (which I will take for requalification) but I am less keen on the price. GBP79 (for me)/NOK650 (for my partner). Interestingly, that translates into GBP70 these days, so surely they've increased fixed prices across.

INMS Dec 17, 2011 7:13 am

MMB upgrade offer for WT to WTP upgrade for my upcoming flight to HKG has dropped from £210 to £159...

rossmacd Dec 17, 2011 7:15 am

Originally Posted by INMS (Post 17643889)
MMB upgrade offer for WT to WTP upgrade for my upcoming flight to HKG has dropped from £210 to £159...

That is a steal! I assume you have already jumped on it? :)

littlevoices Dec 17, 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by angatol (Post 17643621)
My FCO-LHR MMB upgrade went up from 69 to 79 euro yesterday too.

I noticed that my BCN-LHR did the same a couple of days ago (though in pounds), as such one wonders whether this was a particular decision by BA to increase the prices slightly due to higher take-ups across the board

Paralytic Dec 17, 2011 7:52 am

I was offered (but didn't manage to get - see here) and airport upgrade from WT+ to CW on the LHR-LAS flight yesterday.

However, the price was £449 whereas all me previous west-coast US upgrades were £399. Does anyone know if this is a permanent price increase or is it particular to that route?

Wonderdogontherun Dec 17, 2011 8:23 am

Just made an upgrade LHR to TXL in January for € 69 ... :confused:

BERbound Dec 17, 2011 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Wonderdogontherun (Post 17644171)
Just made an upgrade LHR to TXL in January for € 69 ... :confused:

I upgraded 2 bookings To TXL in January for €59 last month, so it has gone up

silvergirl Dec 18, 2011 5:03 am

LHR -ZRH also offered for £79

timezonehopper Dec 18, 2011 5:21 am

On Friday I was offered an upgrade from WT to WT+ via MMB on LHR-NRT return for £149 each way. Suffice to say I jumped at it. For many weeks it had been £210 each way and then went up to £500+ each way just over a week ago.

TravellerFrequently Dec 18, 2011 5:24 am

Originally Posted by timezonehopper (Post 17648690)
On Friday I was offered an upgrade from WT to WT+ via MMB on LHR-NRT return for £149 each way. Suffice to say I jumped at it. For many weeks it had been £210 each way and then went up to £500+ each way just over a week ago.

Well managed timezonehopper!

Sounds like a great deal. I would have given in and bought the upgrade offer when it was £210!

rossmacd Dec 18, 2011 5:31 am

Originally Posted by timezonehopper (Post 17648690)

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently (Post 17648699)
Well managed timezonehopper!

Sounds like a great deal. I would have given in and bought the upgrade offer when it was £210!

timezonehopper is a true FTer! Good job :D^

timezonehopper Dec 18, 2011 5:35 am

Thanks! TBH I was kicking myself when the £210 each way upgrade disappeared about a week ago but sometimes it's worth holding out. I got a LHR-NRT-LHR WT->WT+ upgrade in September for £225 return!

DumbLemon Dec 18, 2011 8:30 am

Hi guys,

Flying LHR-ORD on Boxing day, got an offer through MMB for £149 from WT to WT+ :D

I thought it was possible to phone up, pay £149, then a few taxes and MFU to CW. But she came back saying it's not and I would be paying £440 plus my miles....

Is that right? If it is that's fine, but I thought if I got a special offer upgrade online I could get it over the phone too since I wanted to MFU on top of that..

Hope someone can clear that up for me, cheers :)

Globaliser Dec 18, 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by DumbLemon (Post 17649261)
Is that right? If it is that's fine, but I thought if I got a special offer upgrade online I could get it over the phone too since I wanted to MFU on top of that.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think that if you take the special fixed-price upgrade offer you can't then MFU on top of that.

DumbLemon Dec 18, 2011 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17649290)
Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think that if you take the special fixed-price upgrade offer you can't then MFU on top of that.

Oh ok, I was under the impression if you see it online, you could then ask over the phone to take the online offer + MFU as you cant do those actions in MMB :confused:

Royce Dec 18, 2011 8:48 am

Seems a lot of close to Christmas LHR-LUX are being offered POUGs at the moment - a rarity on this route, of all the times I've travelled this route, I've never seen one.

Y-J €69 e/w for bookings starting at LUX, £69 e/w for bookings starting at LHR.

Kgmm77 Dec 18, 2011 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Felixberlin (Post 17643614)
Was looking to upgrade a few more of my LHR-MUC and MUC-LHR sectors which used to cost £59/€59 o/w.

Now the prices quoted have gone up to £79/€79 :eek:

Would anyone have any insight on whether this is (a) a wholesale adjustment or (b) a personalized price increase? I am wondering because I have been using the option quite consistently over the last three months (last week I upgraded a handful of bookings in one go).

Any insights would be much appreciated.

I think £79 is now standard as I was offered today on MUC-LHR, having upgraded the outbound for £59 a month or so ago.

I probably wouldn't bite at £59 again, never mind £79 so not too bothered. Regardless of the minimal incremental service increase, I'm not a big fan of the reduction in fare flexibility that comes with the upgrade.

Globaliser Dec 18, 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by DumbLemon (Post 17649310)
I was under the impression if you see it online, you could then ask over the phone to take the online offer + MFU as you cant do those actions in MMB

If you see it online and you can't complete it online for some reason, you should be able to phone and ask to take up the offer you see online.

However, AIUI once you've taken up that offer (whether online or by phone) you have then bought a fare which cannot be further MFUd.

Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better if I'm wrong.

angatol Dec 18, 2011 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 (Post 17649441)
I probably wouldn't bite at £59 again, never mind £79 so not too bothered. Regardless of the minimal incremental service increase, I'm not a big fan of the reduction in fare flexibility that comes with the upgrade.

If you have status to get in the lounge, you'd think that BA would halve the price of the upgrade or something. After you've eaten, had something to drink and used the free wifi in the lounge maybe, the additional in-flight benefits are pretty minimal for a short flight.

cbagent Dec 18, 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17649290)

Can confirm that once a sector has had the pou applied it cannot then be further upgraded with avios.

DumbLemon Dec 18, 2011 10:14 am

cheers guys

Felixberlin Dec 18, 2011 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 (Post 17649441)
I think £79 is now standard as I was offered today on MUC-LHR, having upgraded the outbound for £59 a month or so ago.

For €59 I typically found it a decent value on the early morning commutes; unfortunately €79 is stretching it a bit given the points you mention above.

Hope elasticity of other people is similar to mine and prices will come down again :)

ScreenGuy Dec 18, 2011 11:35 pm

LHR-EWR world traveller plus to club world for £225 via MMB.

I am seriously considering this offer but I have a feeling that W may be oversold as yesterday the flight was showing J8 W1. I may just save the money and take my slim chances of an OpUp as OneWorld Sapphire.

rossmacd Dec 19, 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by ScreenGuy (Post 17652891)
LHR-EWR world traveller plus to club world for £225 via MMB.

I am seriously considering this offer but I have a feeling that W may be oversold as yesterday the flight was showing J8 W1. I may just save the money and take my slim chances of an OpUp as OneWorld Sapphire.

Take a chance, or pay £225 to guarantee you will be in CW? I know exactly what I would do, and I would be snatching that offer with both hands and both feet.

badoc Dec 19, 2011 1:59 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 17653084)
Take a chance, or pay £225 to guarantee you will be in CW? I know exactly what I would do, and I would be snatching that offer with both hands and both feet.

+1 :D

koshka Dec 19, 2011 2:04 am

LHR - ARN was £79 one way last week (previously £69 earlier in the autumn).

paulwuk Dec 19, 2011 6:05 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 17653084)

On a day flight? If it were a 767 I'd be strongly tempted to save the money, unless you need the tier points.

Dreaming of WT+ Dec 19, 2011 6:12 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 17653627)
On a day flight? If it were a 767 I'd be strongly tempted to save the money, unless you need the tier points.

Interesting.. can I ask why? Only because I upgraded to CW for 767 day flight :)

PETER01 Dec 19, 2011 6:25 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 17653627)

Originally Posted by Dreaming of WT+ (Post 17653661)
Interesting.. can I ask why? Only because I upgraded to CW for 767 day flight :)

I can see where paulwuk is coming from. For a relatively quick trip across the pond I dont think I would pay even £225 from W to J unless I needed the TPs etc. however each to their own. Not that I would even get offered a POU living in the regions. :td:

At the end of the day it all depends on your budget and for the vast majority of (normal non FT people :D) thats money far better spent.

paulwuk Dec 19, 2011 3:59 pm

I've flown CW on 3 occasions

1) Last minute day-flight from ORY-EWR last December. Fine I suppose, but nothing amazing, I would have preferred a decent IFE - W on a 767 for example. Flew back in "Biz Seat", but I'd have got a better nights sleep in Y -- far too much flex in the floor when the heavy-foot cabin crew kept marching up and down
2) Op-up LHR-DEL, again a day flight. I felt more cramped than I do in W (where I'm usually found), and the meal service took a lot out of the flight. Rubbish IFE.
3) Paid upgrade BWI-LHR, night flight, well worth then £250 even for such a short hop.

That said, I find W is a massive improvement on Y, had to fly back in Y from TLV a couple of months ago on a morning flight, far too busy (and people jamming stuff into the seat back) for a decent sleep, not enough room to work. On a shorthaul day flight, CE is great too, on >3hr trips, usually as I'm in a middle seat next to the wife. In CE (which we always take an upgrade at £60) the A/C pair works well. Sadly the ET A/C pair has never worked for us :(

Perhaps it's what you're used to? SWMBO is used to flying J now, and actually complained that J in the 767 from BWI was a bit shabby compared with the top-deck on 747 that she had outbound. With a potential F flight in a couple of weeks I'm not sure she'll ever be able to go back to a Y seat to SYD.

saleemarshad Dec 21, 2011 8:08 am

Proactive Upgrade

LAS to LHR proactive upgrade offered from WTP to CW at 225 GBP

LHR TO LAS offered from WTP to CW at 715 GBP

INMS Dec 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 17643898)
That is a steal! I assume you have already jumped on it? :)

Nah, apart from there potentially being better things to spend the money on I think stifle kindly checked and all the bulkhead WTP seats were gone so despite the wider seat, better catering etc I still think £159 isn't necessarily worth it. It's to about one-way of an Economy flight to New York in the current BA sale! (£376 return).

alexwuk Dec 30, 2011 10:28 am

LHR-HKG, at LHR's "upgrade offer" desk (c20?). J -> F. £399 one-way.

Not bad given it was a £1006 return sale fare in biz, which had "NO UPGRADES" in the fare rules :)

raph Dec 30, 2011 2:16 pm

€69 to upgrade DUS-LHR... wonder if I should go for it...

PanGalactic Dec 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by raph (Post 17717543)

You're kidding right ? :)

BERbound Dec 31, 2011 1:37 am

Originally Posted by raph (Post 17717543)

Well the lounge is nice, depends if you need the tier points or not