FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1117885-pro-active-upgrade-cost-tracking-questions-thread.html)

funkyr Oct 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Been offered LHR-ORD day flight WT+ to J for £399... unfortunately that's on the new WT+ cabin so it doesn't seem all that appealing.
According to KVS: Economy fully sold out, WT+ 3 seats left, CW 7 seats and First 9 seats.
I guess upgrade at the gate will go in the order of: economy to WT+, WT+ to CW, CW to First dependent on ticketing types and BAEC status. I think I'm on the cheapest WT+ ticket and will be bronze BAEC. Not looking promising.

Haven't been offered ORD-LHR on the old WT+ seats (plus it's a night flight)... Too many seats still available :(

britbronco22 Nov 3, 2011 4:33 pm

I flew LAX - LHR this week, my friend was in WT and at check in he was offered an upgrade to WT+ for $300 or an upgrade straight to CW for $900. That is the first time I have heard of anyone being offered the chance for a double upgrade.

My friend declined both offers and was op-upped to WT+ while we were in the lounge.

BotB Nov 3, 2011 5:28 pm

Interesting, used to be that the WT to WT+ was $ 250 and WT to CW $ 750 so wonder if prices for airport upgrades have been raised?

Double upgrades are available sometimes from the US from personal experience but haven't seen them elsewhere...happy to be proven wrong on this though..

Good on him to get the OP-UP.

BicesterTerrier Nov 4, 2011 9:53 am

Not really POU costs, but hopeful it might get to that....

I have been watching the costs of upgrades on LHR-GRU flight on 27 Nov, was looking promising in that the cost was coming down, started at around £324, today I checked and it is askign £1300+ to upgrade WT - WT+ one way, £300+ on the return leg.....is there a chance of a regular £200 or so POU being offered at some point or is the increased cost an indication to the contrary.

Globaliser Nov 4, 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier (Post 17391195)
I have been watching the costs of upgrades on LHR-GRU flight on 27 Nov, was looking promising in that the cost was coming down, started at around £324, today I checked and it is askign £1300+ to upgrade WT - WT+ one way, £300+ on the return leg.....is there a chance of a regular £200 or so POU being offered at some point or is the increased cost an indication to the contrary.

Code:

Availability
BA247 LHR-GRU F9 A7 J9 C0 D0 RC IC W4 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N4 Q1 O5 G0

As you were talking about the cost to buy up to a normal WT+ fare rather than POUG, I suspect that what you saw was E and T just being zeroed on your flight.

BotB Nov 4, 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier (Post 17391195)
Not really POU costs, but hopeful it might get to that....

Suspect it being one of the following:

-Are you now quite close to departure date? (say 3-4 weeks out)...I remember seeing the costs rise dramatically as soon as you go under a certain threshold (think it was 3 weeks)

-WT+ is now full or close to it...(or at least the cheaper fare class as Globaliser pointed out

-A sale that was running on that route has now ended and the prices go back to 'normal' fares

It can of course come back down just before your fly date but wouldn't count on it personally, unless they need to shift a lot of people from WT upwards...sorry!

Globaliser Nov 5, 2011 9:24 am

Originally Posted by BotB (Post 17391590)
-Are you now quite close to departure date? (say 3-4 weeks out)...I remember seeing the costs rise dramatically as soon as you go under a certain threshold (think it was 3 weeks)

It's 21 days for the normal ex-LHR T class ticket. After you've passed the AP deadline, you can no longer buy up to a T class fare (because you have to meet the T class fare rules on the day of reissue), so the price will go up because it'll probably be a 7-day AP E class fare that you're being refared to.

But BicesterTerrier is still outside the 21-day AP period for T class fares, hence my suspicion that it's because E and T have been zeroed.

BotB Nov 5, 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17396493)
It's 21 days for the normal ex-LHR T class ticket. After you've passed the AP deadline, you can no longer buy up to a T class fare (because you have to meet the T class fare rules on the day of reissue), so the price will go up because it'll probably be a 7-day AP E class fare that you're being refared to.

But BicesterTerrier is still outside the 21-day AP period for T class fares, hence my suspicion that it's because E and T have been zeroed.

Thanks Globaliser for the explanation, appreciate that! ^

gustavmahler Nov 6, 2011 3:41 am

My wife did Y-J on DFW-LHR for $750 last month, so I guess that's still the going rate from the US when available.

FlightNurse Nov 6, 2011 8:17 am

That is not a bad price for an upgrade...

Originally Posted by gustavmahler (Post 17400091)
My wife did Y-J on DFW-LHR for $750 last month, so I guess that's still the going rate from the US when available.

billgrates3 Nov 6, 2011 10:02 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 17333108)
F?! Hah -- I'm flying in Y back from TLV tomorrow morning, unless something opens up on the waitlist - W and J are both full. 04:15 taxi from Jerusalem, and probably end up in a middle seat in row 67.

The old entry has been removed from my exec club statement, and new entry applied. My first ever 120tp that will stick (my only other one posted 6 months late, in the wrong year).

Here's 2 data points for the TLV-LHR route. I was offered an upgrade WT -> WT+ for $125 back in May,2011. Then in Oct. I had to rebook an SFO-LAX-LHR-TLV econ ticket that was ~$2000 (both bought from AA, not BA). The new ticket had Y inventory LHR-TLV and W on the return TLV-LHR. Fare increase was about $600 (not including $200 change fee). I couldn't tell how much of the increase was for the Y segment vs how much for the WT+ segment, but I'm guessing W might be less expensive than full Y.

gustavmahler Nov 6, 2011 10:17 am

Not at all, she was pretty pleased!

BicesterTerrier Nov 7, 2011 3:22 am

Thanks Globaliser and BotB, I'll keep checking.....costs have changed again today, outbound has reduced to around £900 and inbound increased to £800+

Globaliser Nov 7, 2011 4:01 am

Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier (Post 17404956)
costs have changed again today, outbound has reduced to around £900 and inbound increased to £800+

For the outbound, availability is now:
Code:

BA247 LHR-GRU F9 A8 J9 C1 D0 RC IC W4 E3 T1 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N6 Q1 O9 G0
So at present a standard upfare for one person would be the (sale) T class fare but for the fact that we are now less than 21 days away; so the price you're seeing whether for one person or two (or three) will be the upfare to the E fare.

But, as always, predicting whether you'll get a POUG at the low fixed rate would require a working crystal ball.

BicesterTerrier Nov 7, 2011 5:07 am

Do you have one of those Globaliser? :D

Globaliser Nov 7, 2011 7:04 am

Sorry, it's running the Lotto prediction software at the moment. ;)

BERbound Nov 7, 2011 7:52 am

Just booked a €69 one way TXL - LHR in Y , got offered a €59 upgrade to club after booking on the confirmation page. If I booked J class one way initially cost is €845!!!

cumbrianbill Nov 9, 2011 2:12 pm

Upgrade fare bucket

Sorry to divert from the main thrust of this thread.

Is anyone able to tell me the ticket class that one is booked into after upgrading at a kiosk (not MMB) from W to W+ for a transatlantic flight.

Thanks

Bill

rossmacd Nov 9, 2011 2:32 pm

Sometimes it goes into P (the WT+ redemption bucket) in my experience to prevent people MFUing it, however, you are very unlikely to be able to MFU on the day of travel anyway. This was a ticket counter at an outstation however.

Others may have different experiences of the fare bucket this goes into however.

badoc Nov 10, 2011 4:34 am

Has anyone ever managed to purchase an UG to F (from a MFU'd WT+ to CW) ex-LHR at the airport?

I know it sounds an unlikely scenario :D

Tobias-UK Nov 10, 2011 5:17 am

Originally Posted by badoc (Post 17424631)
Has anyone ever managed to purchase an UG to F (from a MFU'd WT+ to CW) ex-LHR at the airport?

Yes. Although I understand POUG is not frequently available to First.

BotB Nov 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 17424742)
Yes. Although I understand POUG is not frequently available to First.

I have as well, £ 399 from memory. Depends on route and loads obviously.

The check in staff even phoned to query it with someone and was told this was fine (question being 'can a pax pay for an upgrade on an MFU'd ticket').

My route was LHR to DFW. I could use the CCR, could even still bag 1A ^

stifle Nov 11, 2011 2:13 am

How many TPs do you get if you buy W, MFU to C, and POUG to F?

BotB Nov 11, 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 17430570)
How many TPs do you get if you buy W, MFU to C, and POUG to F?

180 TP's as you have paid to upgrade the cabin to F. (at least that happened to me in Feb. this year, the MFU is not relevant in this case)

HTH

BicesterTerrier Nov 24, 2011 3:15 am

Not sure if this is strictly POU related, or jusst plain old upgrade.

Looks like the whole upgrading charges make asolutely no sense and are just a lottery

The LHR-GRU upgrades went from £900 to go WT-WT+, then to £3500 to go WT-J (no WT+) and then £4900 to go WT-F (again no WT+). Now they are showing availability in WT+ at £1000.

Return flight came down to just over £300 and is now showing at over £1000 to go WT-WT+.

Still fingers crossed for a POU, might be a cheaper way of getting to silver than a TP run to JER.

Rich

rossmacd Nov 24, 2011 3:22 am

A POUG will have the "Special Offer" style box on the right hand side of MMB if it truly is a POUG.

I would expect the numbers you have quoted above are plain old upgrade prices.

Globaliser Nov 24, 2011 3:22 am

Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier (Post 17508089)
Not sure if this is strictly POU related, or jusst plain old upgrade.

Looks like the whole upgrading charges make asolutely no sense and are just a lottery

They're only a lottery in the sense that when the flight is very full (as yours is IIRC), you're simply looking at the cost to change your ticket (in accordance with your fare rules) to the lowest available published fare in the lowest available cabin above yours.

You should be able to confirm that by pricing the lowest fare in the cabin you're now being offered as an upgrade, deducting the cost of your current ticket, and adding the change fee - this should be about the same as you're being offered as the price to upgrade.

There's a lot of unfocused discussion in this thread. AIUI, the POUGs are a fixed price and AFAIK are always expressly announced in MMB as a special offer. If you're being offered the opportunity to "upgrade with money" without mention of a special offer, the chances are that it is not a POUG and just a standard ticket change to a higher cabin.

BicesterTerrier Nov 24, 2011 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17508109)
They're only a lottery in the sense that when the flight is very full (as yours is IIRC), you're simply looking at the cost to change your ticket (in accordance with your fare rules) to the lowest available published fare in the lowest available cabin above yours.

You should be able to confirm that by pricing the lowest fare in the cabin you're now being offered as an upgrade, deducting the cost of your current ticket, and adding the change fee - this should be about the same as you're being offered as the price to upgrade.

There's a lot of unfocused discussion in this thread. AIUI, the POUGs are a fixed price and AFAIK are always expressly announced in MMB as a special offer. If you're being offered the opportunity to "upgrade with money" without mention of a special offer, the chances are that it is not a POUG and just a standard ticket change to a higher cabin.

I think you are right, there is a change fee listed in the price, when I last got a POU it had 0 in the change fee, plus it was a neat round number.

I will desist from my posting here, unless I get a special offer!

britbronco22 Nov 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Although I never a PUO on my regular trips from PRG-LHR (booked through corp travel agent is probably why), I decided to go to the ticketing desk at PRG to enquire.
The quoted me a 'special offer' of CZK 4200, which is about £150 at current exchange rates. I'm pretty sure this is a special price, not the cost to upgrade to the next ticket (as they quoted this straight off without looking at my ticket).
As I was traveling in the afternoon and on spacesaver seating I declined! Clearly a lot higher than the typical on-line offers these days.

Arrow29 Nov 29, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm off to Europe for my honeymoon with my fiancé (next week!) and have booked 2 intra-Europe flights on BA. I have the option of some cheap Club Europe upgrade options but having never visited any of these cities or flown domestic BA, not sure if it's worth the cash - any advice would be great!

FCO - LHR: 69 Euro per person [fare cost 79 EUR per person originally]

LHR - CDG: 59 pounds per person [fare cost 55 pounds pp originally]

Either these worth it (bare in mind have to double given 2 of us) or save our money and spend it at restaurants/shopping instead??

britbronco22 Nov 30, 2011 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Arrow29 (Post 17537476)
I'm off to Europe for my honeymoon with my fiancé (next week!) and have booked 2 intra-Europe flights on BA. I have the option of some cheap Club Europe upgrade options but having never visited any of these cities or flown domestic BA, not sure if it's worth the cash - any advice would be great!

Either these worth it (bare in mind have to double given 2 of us) or save our money and spend it at restaurants/shopping instead??

It depends on a couple of factors which you don't mention. Do you already have lounge access? And would the extra TP's make a difference to reaching status?
Without knowing these two factors, the simple answer would be don't bother on the LHR-CDG as it is a short flight, but the FCO-LHR would be worthwhile as it is a 2 1/2 flight (well probably a little less).

Arrow29 Nov 30, 2011 8:35 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22 (Post 17538997)
It depends on a couple of factors which you don't mention. Do you already have lounge access? And would the extra TP's make a difference to reaching status?
Without knowing these two factors, the simple answer would be don't bother on the LHR-CDG as it is a short flight, but the FCO-LHR would be worthwhile as it is a 2 1/2 flight (well probably a little less).

Thanks for your reply. No lounge access and the TP's aren't really going to make a difference as I only fly for leisure so no status worth mention is within sight.

cornishsimon Nov 30, 2011 9:40 am

As you say elsewhere on the thread you have no lounge access, I would say YES to both, especially £59 pp to make full use of the LHR lounge complex.

FCO-LHR, the upgrade will get you into the FCO lounge which is ok, a few sarnies and a half decent selection of booze, plus good runway views, but also you will get an ok meal onboard the flight and as much champers as you can drink.

As its your honeymoon i would go for it

cs

rossmacd Nov 30, 2011 9:51 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon (Post 17540297)
As you say elsewhere on the thread you have no lounge access, I would say YES to both, especially £59 pp to make full use of the LHR lounge complex.

Are you mad? :confused:

£59 just to have some soggy pasta with cold, mass produced arrabiata sauce, or a dried out bacon roll for breakfast? There are plenty of better places in T5 to have some decent food.

clubman Nov 30, 2011 10:30 am

having never visited any of these cities or flown domestic BA

Don't mean to be pedantic, but these are not considered "domestic" flights...

For £59 I would probably do it on the FCO-LHR flight due to the length of flight, but not sure about LHR-CDG as it's such a short flight (40 minutes or so) but then on the other hand you get to enjoy the nicer lounges on this leg (FCO lounge is nothing to write home about...).

angatol Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am

I've got a 69 euro upgrade sitting in MMB for both ways of a FCO-LHR flight and there's no way I would pay that. Maybe for a tenner. The seats are practically the same, little bit better food on board and lounge access. But for two of you, you could get a pretty good meal at a restaurant for 140 euro that I think would more than make up for those. If you drink like a fish and could get through half a bottle of whisky in the lounge and a couple of bottles of wine, I still don't think you could make up the value.

For the LHR-CDG flight, if you did have a few hours to spare then the lounge at LHR wouldn't be an unpleasant place to spend it, but I still don't think it's worth 59 quid x 2.

Perhaps ask on the lounge meetup thread if anyone could guest you in (tricky for 2 people though).

cumbrianbill Dec 2, 2011 9:32 am

GLA - IAD - proactive upgrades WT to WT+

I arrived at GLA on November 17th where they had notices advising to ask about £179 upgrades from WT to WT+. I was on the 265 from LHR to IAD, so asked about an upgrade. They were able to show me the seat-map, which showed the cabin to be less than half full, and was able to move to a bulkhead window seat. The cabin was so empty, that the person next to me was able to move to another double, so we both had two seats, and AVOD and the other WT+ trimmings.

I was flying back from IAD on December 1st - on 216. There were no notices advertising upgrades, but I did ask. Initially I was told no, but I think that this was just about op-ups, as I was told that a WT - WT+ upgrade could be bought for $250. I checked that I would not be sitting in a middle seat, and booked an aisle, but then moved to a bulkhead aisle once everyone was on board. Once again, there was noone sitting next to me, but no AVOD as it's a 777.

Overall I'm pretty pleased that the upgrades can be had for those of us flying to-from the regions via LHR. Thye can't be done through MMB, so it does depend on the flight not being full, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

littlevoices Dec 2, 2011 10:41 am

LHR-BCN: £69pp for 2, about 30 days out (but had been offered since booking). The offer did disappear for a few days when club reduced from 7 to 3 rows so one imagines it is related to avoiding op-ups. The flight is 3 days before Christmas so wanted to avoid the crowd at the back after a rather unpleasant LHR-AMS flight recently that was completely full.

Offer for £69 on the return BCN-LHR is still there but not worth it for me as I'll hit gold soon enough without the extra TPs and this is a midday flight after Xmas so not really as much of a concern around crowding and I already have the lounge.

petemitchell Dec 2, 2011 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by angatol (Post 17541042)
I've got a 69 euro upgrade sitting in MMB for both ways of a FCO-LHR flight and there's no way I would pay that. Maybe for a tenner. The seats are practically the same, little bit better food on board and lounge access. But for two of you, you could get a pretty good meal at a restaurant for 140 euro that I think would more than make up for those. If you drink like a fish and could get through half a bottle of whisky in the lounge and a couple of bottles of wine, I still don't think you could make up the value.

For the LHR-CDG flight, if you did have a few hours to spare then the lounge at LHR wouldn't be an unpleasant place to spend it, but I still don't think it's worth 59 quid x 2.

Perhaps ask on the lounge meetup thread if anyone could guest you in (tricky for 2 people though).

+1 to the above comments.

If lounge access is all you want, consider buying a PriorityPass. A year's worth of access (there are per-visit charges) would cost you about as much as simply upgrading for this one trip.

Dreaming of WT+ Dec 2, 2011 1:28 pm

...:)