FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1117885-pro-active-upgrade-cost-tracking-questions-thread.html)

orbitmic Aug 25, 2011 11:29 am

Offered £59 LHR-NCE ET to CE and £399 each way LHR-LAX WT+ to CW. As usual my connecting itineraries NCE-LHR-xxx do not show any upgrade possibility (upgrade with cash button available, each flight shows as upgradeable, click on upgrade and get the usual error message saying it is not possible after all).

britbronco22 Aug 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 16993202)
Offered £59 LHR-NCE ET to CE and £399 each way LHR-LAX WT to CW. As usual my connecting itineraries NCE-LHR-xxx do not show any upgrade possibility (upgrade with cash button available, each flight shows as upgradeable, click on upgrade and get the usual error message saying it is not possible after all).

I presume that is WT+ to CW for £399?

If those upgrades are showing in MMB, maybe it could be accepted by telephone?

willmatt Aug 26, 2011 11:07 am

LAX - LHR at T-7days GBP399 for WT+ TO CW on a paid WT+ ticket.

I flew the outbound of this booking some months ago, seem to remember same offer, which I delcined it that time, hoping for an Op Up but although my boading pass did 'beep' at the gate :p in T5B, it was just for additional security check. :eek:

So this time I've paid up and will be on the upper deck and this is a night flight after all.

Concerningly, though, the tier points (which AIUI should still be 75 for WT+) are now showing as 0. That will not be good, and now I can't go back and check what the T&C were for accepting this upgrade.

rossmacd Aug 26, 2011 11:10 am

Originally Posted by willmatt (Post 16999980)
Concerningly, though, the tier points (which AIUI should still be 75 for WT+) are now showing as 0. That will not be good, and now I can't go back and check what the T&C were for accepting this upgrade.

You are entitled to full TPs - contact BAEC for them to be added to your account!

willmatt Aug 26, 2011 11:44 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 16999994)
You are entitled to full TPs - contact BAEC for them to be added to your account!

Thanks Rossmacd - do you think I should even expect the full 120 for CW rather than the original 75 for WT+?

I am used to MFU TPs going to zero and then phoning to get them credited but this was a fully paid ticket showing as 75TP (for the one remaining leg) right up until I made this change. It may even credit correctly after I fly, I'm just looking at the MMB 'You will earn...' prediction of miles and points.

rossmacd Aug 26, 2011 11:48 am

You should get the full 120 TPs for a normal CW sector! You have paid for an upgrade into a normal (non-redemption) fare bucket :)

orbitmic Aug 26, 2011 11:53 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22 (Post 16994017)
I presume that is WT+ to CW for £399?

Yes indeed. Sorry for the typo, which I have duly corrected! With regards to your second point, in my experience trying to phone earlier, was only offered normal (outrageously priced) upgrade on the phone and not the cheap £59 etc ones. Only airport (or rather LHR) seems to offer the cheap ones in those cases. I hope I am wrong and that they are now available over the phone?

Awesom Andy Aug 27, 2011 7:16 am

Had a couple myself this month for WT -> WT+:
HKG-LHR $2,500 HKD
LHR-HKG £179

Certainly not a bad price coming from a class G ticket.

I also asked for the prices for CW, but they were astronomical.

BA304 Aug 30, 2011 4:36 am

Anyone seen anything for LHR-ARN recently?

Currently MMB isn't showing an "offer" - I'm hoping something will come up at some point.

At the moment the "upgrade with money" option gives a price of £588 to upgrade both legs which is rather steep and actually more than if I had just booked CE outright.

timezonehopper Sep 6, 2011 7:45 am

Just offered £225 to upgrade a LHR-HND/NRT-LHR return from WT to WT+ via MMB which I jumped at. Usually £179 each way (if available) at the airport. Interestingly my MMB is now offering a £399 WT+ to CW upgrade for one of the legs!

Enrico1 Sep 6, 2011 2:19 pm

Just looked at upgrading my LHR - Milan ticket and one way it is £635 to upgrade. Have I fallen, hit my head and lost the ability to comprehend numbers? I can't believe it would ever be this much!?

Globaliser Sep 6, 2011 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Enrico1 (Post 17064798)
Just looked at upgrading my LHR - Milan ticket and one way it is £635 to upgrade. Have I fallen, hit my head and lost the ability to comprehend numbers? I can't believe it would ever be this much!?

The fare difference (before additional taxes, fuel surcharge and change fee) between the current cheapest one-way Y (O class) and most expensive full-fare J (J class) is £574 - £18 = £556.

So as a straightforward "change fee + difference in fare" upgrade, it doesn't seem impossible.

LTN Phobia Sep 6, 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by timezonehopper (Post 17062500)
Interestingly my MMB is now offering a £399 WT+ to CW upgrade for one of the legs!

I'd take it. That's really good for WT+ to CW upgrade.

LTN Phobia Sep 6, 2011 4:23 pm

You haven't lost it. I am seeing the same price too. Of course, there is a possibility that I too have lost it :D

Palmer Sep 6, 2011 4:29 pm

You picked the wrong destination. Mine, to Rome, is a snip at £511.50!

Palmer

slate Sep 11, 2011 5:06 am

Just got offered CW to F from JFK to LHR in a couple of weeks time for £399.

Tobias-UK Sep 11, 2011 5:49 am

In your shoes, I'd certainly take that one. I quite like the CCR at JFK.

hsmall Sep 11, 2011 6:04 am

I was offered (and took) £149 to upgrade from a miles booking LHR-YVR in Y to W. Some miles posted for the flight too.....

slate Sep 11, 2011 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 17089909)
In your shoes, I'd certainly take that one. I quite like the CCR at JFK.

I have taken it. I haven't been doing nearly enough flying in F this year!

It's the first time I've ever been offered this as my trips are always multi-city and the option never appears.

marcusr Sep 11, 2011 6:28 am

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 17021355)
Anyone seen anything for LHR-ARN recently?

Currently MMB isn't showing an "offer" - I'm hoping something will come up at some point.

At the moment the "upgrade with money" option gives a price of £588 to upgrade both legs which is rather steep and actually more than if I had just booked CE outright.

I booked a flight to ARN last week for mid-November and was offered £69 upgrade for each leg of the journey, which I snapped up.

BA304 Sep 11, 2011 8:26 am

Originally Posted by marcusr (Post 17090009)
I booked a flight to ARN last week for mid-November and was offered £69 upgrade for each leg of the journey, which I snapped up.

Thanks. I'm still waiting in hope. The upgrade cost keeps creeping up towards £800. :rolleyes:

Tobias-UK Sep 11, 2011 8:38 am

Originally Posted by slate (Post 17090001)
... It's the first time I've ever been offered this as my trips are always multi-city and the option never appears.

Is this a multi-city trip too? Originating at LHR or the regions/Europe?

marcusr Sep 11, 2011 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 17090415)

I flew a LHR out, LGW return multi-city last week and had no upgrade offer appear after booking, and lived in hope of something appearing at T-24, but no offers for upgrades appeared :( I guess there's a very poor chance of upgrades on these multi-city bookings.

Sign47 Sep 11, 2011 2:20 pm

2 in 2 for NBO

Travelled on BA65 and when I went into manage my booking a couple of days before the flight was offered an upgrade from WT+ to Club for £399. Then 24 hours before I checked in and again was offered the same upgrade for £449. I declined.

The day of the flight I check in at T5 and find myself upgraded. Very happy. I ask at bag drop the reason and they told me the flight was overbooked. However, a fair few spare seats in Club.

Pretty good service from the MF crew although a fair bit of turbulence meant that drinks couldn't be served for the final hour of the flight????? A slightly different route was flown to avoid Libyian airspace.

This is the second time I've taken the BA65 flight this year and both times i've been upgraded from WT+ to Club. I was also upgraded LHR-DFW WT+ to Club earlier this year. I guess i'm just very lucky. I've never asked and always been told of the upgrade by staff.

Not really a big deal but this is the third time in the last 12 months that my IFE screen has not worked (either properly or at all) - I have written to customer services the previous two times but as this has happened to me again (and I just got the moving map this flight) i think i might write. Is there any likely compensation such as BA miles or Tier Points awarded when IFE does not work? Who exactly do I contact?

slate Sep 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 17090415)

No, this time it's LCY-JFK/JFK-LHR. Most of my trips are from LHR to the US and Canada, but I almost never return from the city I arrived at.

Twoflower Sep 12, 2011 5:16 am

£179 WT to WT+ on offer at GLA this morning for all LH from LHR where space is available. I'm traveling on to ORD, but declined because (a) I'm skint this month and (b) loads are looking very light so I'm hopeful the middle seat next to me will be empty...

tf

CarolynUK Sep 12, 2011 5:47 am

Resisted the upgrade offer of £115 out/ £165 return I was offered LHR-CDG during the booking process........

Was then offered £59 each way once in MMB!

Flying Flis Sep 12, 2011 5:50 am

I'm currently being offered £165 each way for an upgrade from WT to WT+ on a flight to IAH this week.

stifle Sep 12, 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by CarolynUK (Post 17094558)
Resisted the offer of £115 out/ £165 return I was offered LHR-CDG during the booking process........

Was then offered £59 each way once in MMB!

The offer during booking always seems to be the price difference as against just booking CE there and then, whereas the MMB seems more likely to be a fixed price.

BobbySteel Sep 12, 2011 7:44 am

It's usually worth checking if MFU availability has come available before you jump on the cash deals. I had a flight this past month LHR-CPT that seemed fairly crowded from ExpertFlyer data, but went W9T9 a few days before. I was about to jump on the 399 upgrade offer but then checked award inventory and realized I could just do a MFU, which was of course previously not on offer.

alvintc Sep 12, 2011 8:24 am

Currently on BA0209 (MIA) on the 17th, in WT. the upgrade to WT+ is showing as £1031.70 (each way!). Simply ludicrous!

BA235 Sep 12, 2011 8:53 am

Originally Posted by alvintc (Post 17095169)
Currently on BA0209 (MIA) on the 17th, in WT. the upgrade to WT+ is showing as £1031.70 (each way!). Simply ludicrous!

I'm off TATL at the end of this week and, until last night, was offered an upgrade to CW for c£3,000 per person. Today, with the flight at F0 J0 W0 Y4 that offer has unsurprisingly disappeared.

r22r44bell47 Sep 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Was offered J to F LHR-PHL for tomorrow at £399 and also for the return on Thursday night for an unspecified sum (to be revealed on the next page, but I didn't get that far).

papabear Sep 12, 2011 12:31 pm

Is there a thread or a post that summerizes when and where the Pro-active Upgrade are available?

From time to time I recieve offers of Proactive upgraces exEU to LHR, but cannot recall getting an offer exEU to longhaul. The exception would be the check-in offers on WT to WT+ that have been offered on some EU outstations.

Are these upgrades only made available on one segment bookings?

bklink Sep 13, 2011 3:54 am

LHR-SEA WT+ to CW £399

I am being offered £399 for WT+ to CW each way LHR-SEA. I know that's often as good as it gets, but do you generally see this as worthwhile? I don't need the tier points desperately just yet, but they won't go to waste as my membership year just reset.

BA304 Sep 13, 2011 4:08 am

Originally Posted by bklink (Post 17100072)
I am being offered £399 for WT+ to CW each way LHR-SEA. I know that's often as good as it gets, but do you generally see this as worthwhile? I don't need the tier points desperately just yet, but they won't go to waste as my membership year just reset.

Worthwhile on the return.

Less so on the outbound to SEA but still seems good value to me. :)

britbronco22 Sep 13, 2011 4:24 am

Originally Posted by bklink (Post 17100072)

It's never too early to start planning your silver retention ;) Don't you have any feel on whether you will need the points to retain silver?

Personally I would probably be tempted to pay for the flatbed on the overnight SEA-LHR flight. On the LHR-SEA I would probably keep my fingers crossed for an op-up, or ask one of our friends with a EF subscription about the current loads.

bklink Sep 13, 2011 7:48 am

I'm finding (again) that the system will only let me take the upgrades on both segmenets; when I try on the return only, it flakes out!

stifle Sep 13, 2011 8:18 am

If you can confirm the dates and flights I'll look up availability on KVS (feel free to PM if you don't want to publicize them).

bklink Sep 13, 2011 8:48 am

Do upgrades paid at the aiport generate the extra tier points? Or only those on MMB and at check-in?