FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1117885-pro-active-upgrade-cost-tracking-questions-thread.html)

chistery Jan 1, 2012 10:56 am

£69 to upgrade LHR-CPH offer appeared straight after booking.

TravellerFrequently Jan 1, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 17726167)
£69 to upgrade LHR-CPH offer appeared straight after booking.

A good deal, IMHO!

raph Jan 2, 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 17717810)
You're kidding right ? :)

As a Gold I got Lounge + Fast Track anyway, due to seatselection @ T-72, I get the "CE Seatconfiguration" also. I don't drink alcohol on board and don't care much for the better food, so really I'm just paying for the Tier Points (@ €2,30 per Point, not the best available ratio?!) and for someone to hang my coat....

Not sure if it'll make a difference in reachieving Gold this year...

Edit:

Okay, this being flyertalk and all I jumped on it and upgraded the return trip for €138 (31 hours prior to departure).

Quite surprised to see both CE Cabins empty - I got full seat selection available. Are the usual business travelers still on holiday this week?
I don't think I've ever had a completely empty cabin on my seat selection screens, probably the reason they're going so cheap...

Edit 2:

Just added the flights to my flightmemory and noticed that it'll be my 100th flight on BA. They should have upgraded me free of charge :)

jasensteve Jan 2, 2012 3:04 am

Hi Guys ,Im flying LHR - BKK in WT does anyone know if at OLCI there is normaly a upgrade offer to WT+ and if so how much ? As it stands at the moment on MMB its £330

TravellerFrequently Jan 2, 2012 3:16 am

Originally Posted by raph (Post 17729643)
Edit:

Okay, this being flyertalk and all I jumped on it and upgraded the return trip for €138 (31 hours prior to departure).

:D

I think it is in the BA forum rules that one has to upgrade whenever possible!!

Originally Posted by raph (Post 17729643)
Just added the flights to my flightmemory and noticed that it'll be my 100th flight on BA. They should have upgraded me free of charge :)

Congratulations!

As a shareholder, I thank you for your loyalty!!

britenbsas Jan 2, 2012 4:34 am

Originally Posted by jasensteve (Post 17729850)
Hi Guys ,Im flying LHR - BKK in WT does anyone know if at OLCI there is normaly a upgrade offer to WT+ and if so how much ? As it stands at the moment on MMB its £330

I paid £168 via MMB to upgrade LHR-BKK in May 2011

dodgeflyer Jan 2, 2012 3:43 pm

€135 for Y->C upgrade at LIS airport. On the desk, so appears that is a fixed fee. Interestingly I went to the ticketing desk before checking in and was quoted full upgrade price, but asked again at check-in who convinced ticketing to sell it for the stated price. I think economy might have been just slightly overbooked but I need the TP to qualify for the lower TP euro 400 threshold before March so I took it. I believe the flight was offered for €79 just after booking. I will happily pay £59-79 but €135 is even stretching my limits for BA C compared to what you get.

Cubiscus Jan 2, 2012 4:24 pm

£200 to upgrade LHR - BLR to first from CW at OLCI, was very tempting.

stifle Jan 3, 2012 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Cubiscus (Post 17733751)
£200 to upgrade LHR - BLR to first from CW at OLCI, was very tempting.

That's seriously cheap.

Night Flyer Jan 3, 2012 4:23 pm

Offered £89 each way to upgrade LHR-ATH to CE through MMB for flights in June-July

Cubiscus Jan 4, 2012 3:13 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 17736816)
That's seriously cheap.

I know, was very close to taking it but I had my favourite seat on the top deck, it's old first and I'm not going to hit gold this year anyway so decided against.

First looked deserted not incidentally.

Current offer for BLR - LHR is £2040, which is not quite as tempting.

d'Yquem Jan 4, 2012 9:29 am

Not POA, but offered on request at ticketing desk: €170 for OPT-LHR

flying_pig Jan 5, 2012 8:30 am

After months with no POUG flat fee offers popping up in MMB for the Milan-London routes, in the past couple of days I was offered:

- LIN-LHR, revenue tix, ET>CE @ £79 in MMB
(part of a ticket originating in London)

- LIN-LHR, award tix, ET>CE @ €69 in MMB (plus got an email too!)
(o/w award tix, cash+miles)

I never knew that POUG offers were available also for award tickets.

The £79 one may be a decent deal if someone needs the extra 30 TPs; I remember that last year it was always £125 on this route.

OT: CE fares LHR-MIL on a number of flights next week are cheaper than ET if booking a return... It must be considered that ET tickets can be changed for a £60 fee while that CE fare is non changeable, but it still looks weird to see the prices "Business" column lower than the "Economy" ones...

Lobengula Jan 5, 2012 10:23 am

I just asked the lounge defenders at JNB if they have any CW to F upgrades to sell (JNB-LHR). They told me that they would investigate it and come back to me.

10 minutes later: "Mr Lobengula, please come to the reception". I ran there hoping that maybe a £400-£500 offer was available. But no, they told me that an upgrade would cost me £4000 something :p

Ah, well. I have a great seat in CW (20A) so it's not a problem, but I was willing to pay £500 for an upgrade.

Skipcool3 Jan 5, 2012 4:53 pm

Planning to visit Cairo (from LON) late in the year, considering doing a WT+ to CW using Avios.... anybody know what the cash POU (if it was offered) fee would be to F please?

silonic Jan 5, 2012 6:31 pm

I'm going on my honeymoon next month and when I was first checking the price of tickets I saw that when I put 1 adult I got a cheaper price per person than when I did 2 adults. In fact, the ba website seemed to not even price the cheaper ticket and instead was charging me for 2 higher price adult tickets.

So I bought 2 separate tickets for me and Mrs S. when I now go into MMB I am being offered an upgrade from WT+ to J for £315. I want to purchase the upgrade but my fear is that if I upgrade with one of the booking references it may not still offer the upgrade on the other booking. How can i see how many seats are possible for upgrade, or cn I only call BAEC and try to see if they'll do the 2 upgrades in one call?

Thanks

FlightNurse Jan 5, 2012 11:11 pm

This question would be better suited in the BA forum under its own heading and not in this thread. However you might want to call BA and see if they link both tockets together...

Originally Posted by silonic (Post 17756869)
I'm going on my honeymoon next month and when I was first checking the price of tickets I saw that when I put 1 adult I got a cheaper price per person than when I did 2 adults. In fact, the ba website seemed to not even price the cheaper ticket and instead was charging me for 2 higher price adult tickets.

So I bought 2 separate tickets for me and Mrs S. when I now go into MMB I am being offered an upgrade from WT+ to J for £315. I want to purchase the upgrade but my fear is that if I upgrade with one of the booking references it may not still offer the upgrade on the other booking. How can i see how many seats are possible for upgrade, or cn I only call BAEC and try to see if they'll do the 2 upgrades in one call?

Thanks

nldogbert Jan 6, 2012 4:28 am

Is this also offered for trips with connections?

Hi,

I was wondering if these offers are also provided for trips with connections in LHR.. e.g. AMS-LHR-MXP?

Do they offer it separately for AMS-LHR ; LHR-MXP?

Or in these type of trips, none are given?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Globaliser Jan 6, 2012 4:49 am

The reason for this behaviour is that on any one booking, all the passengers in the booking must be booked into the same booking class on each flight. If there is only one seat available in the lower booking class (and therefore the lower fare), and you want to book two passengers together in a single booking, you can only book both into the higher booking class (and therefore the higher fare).

Are you being offered the same upgrade in both bookings? If you are, it'll be worth a call to BA to ask whether there's enough availability for two upgrades. I don't know whether these will book into U class or I class, but BA should be able to tell you. If there's plenty of availability, it should be worth the gamble. It's possible that it can even be completed on the phone - there'll be no harm in asking.

fraisse10 Jan 6, 2012 4:50 am

ET-CW LHR-BRU on the 06:55,£69. Not worth it IMHO but if you need the TP, maybe

silonic Jan 6, 2012 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17759168)
Are you being offered the same upgrade in both bookings? If you are, it'll be worth a call to BA to ask whether there's enough availability for two upgrades. I don't know whether these will book into U class or I class, but BA should be able to tell you. If there's plenty of availability, it should be worth the gamble. It's possible that it can even be completed on the phone - there'll be no harm in asking.

Thanks for the advice and explaining the way the buckets work.

No, the upgrade was a different costs. £315 for my wife, £550 for me (I already had the cheaper WT+ ticket). I called BAEC and they said there was nothing they could do - it is an online offer and they couldn't honour it over the phone. I asked whether they could connect the tickets but they said even if they did, I still would not be able to buy 2 upgrades at the same time.

I already knew and they confirmed, that there were 2 tickets available at this upgrade price - so took a gamble and made separate transactions. Fortunately it worked and we have I class tickets. There's no F to the Maldives so happy to pay for CW on the night flight over.

Only issue I now have is I'm silver, whilst my wife is bronze. I can choose my seat for free, but I would need to pay for her. Wonder if I call BAEC again if they can link our tickets so I can choose her seat as well?

Now if someone could check the topic on seat selections on a 777 and let me know which seat to choose that would be handy :p

stifle Jan 6, 2012 5:46 am

Originally Posted by silonic (Post 17759300)
No, the upgrade was a different costs. £315 for my wife, £550 for me (I already had the cheaper WT+ ticket). I called BAEC and they said there was nothing they could do - it is an online offer and they couldn't honour it over the phone.

That sounds more like a straight upgrade based on normal fare rules.

Globaliser Jan 6, 2012 6:57 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 17759362)
That sounds more like a straight upgrade based on normal fare rules.

Agreed. I wonder whether the original price difference between the two tickets was £235 (£550-£315).

The special offer POUGs are AFAIK a fixed price, and AFAIK flagged up as such (rather than just being a particular price to upgrade).

Still, it's probably an upgrade to the current sale fare, which many would consider decent value (£1,723 all in). It'll make for a great start to married life!

Globaliser Jan 6, 2012 6:59 am

Originally Posted by silonic (Post 17759300)
Only issue I now have is I'm silver, whilst my wife is bronze. I can choose my seat for free, but I would need to pay for her. Wonder if I call BAEC again if they can link our tickets so I can choose her seat as well?

Unfortunately not, as this is only done for Golds.

silonic Jan 6, 2012 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17759655)
Agreed. I wonder whether the original price difference between the two tickets was £235 (£550-£315).

The special offer POUGs are AFAIK a fixed price, and AFAIK flagged up as such (rather than just being a particular price to upgrade).

Still, it's probably an upgrade to the current sale fare, which many would consider decent value (£1,723 all in). It'll make for a great start to married life!

There or thereabouts.

You're right, as was Stifle, these were not POUGs as I had to pay and upgrade fee of £100 per ticket which I wouldn't have had to do if a POUGs.

However, when I've been looking to upgrade over the last few months, the average ticket price for upgrade was over £800 per ticket, so felt that this was good value - especially as I had been informed (hopefully correctly) that if there were upgrades at the airport they may have been £499 per person.

Ultimately, as you've nicely put it - I just thought it be a great start to married life and a nice surprise for Mrs S. Now I've got to hope she doesn't get too comfortable as we're only flying back in WT+!

LHR-HUB Jan 9, 2012 6:42 am

I was offered (in MMB) a WT+ to CW upgrade for £250 LHR-JNB on the 6th Jan.
For some reason, I decided to MFU (12,500 Avios) instead (I'm pretty miles rich at the moment and get about 13,000 for the WT+ flight anyway)

Not seen £250 before, though. Very good value (and would have got more AVs and TPs too - not that I need them)

jasensteve Jan 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi , so I got LHR-BKK WT to WT+ for £139 just wondering what CW will come out as?

mikesavage Jan 11, 2012 6:40 am

Travelling LHR to YVR yesterday and received an upgrade WT to WT+ prior to online check-in.
Then offered upgrade to CW for £469 !

A nice surprise at check-in and much appreciated.

nh1980 Jan 11, 2012 6:50 am

BA are now offering the chance to buy 30,000 Avios (24k + 6k bonus) for £400. What are people's views on this offer from a miles for upgrade perspective? e.g. on a Hong Kong or zone 7 flight it could be used to upgrade both legs of a WT+ to CW or one leg of a CW booking to F.

For £400...worth it?

angatol Jan 11, 2012 6:59 am

Originally Posted by nh1980 (Post 17791887)
BA are now offering the chance to buy 30,000 Avios (24k + 6k bonus) for £400.

That's interesting. They're selling to us in .eu for 440 euro or approx 365 gbp.

nldogbert Jan 12, 2012 4:27 am

Will be offered for AA codeshare

Hi,

I was wondering will I be offered if I am on an AA codeshare flight number but operated by BA for a Transatlantic flight?

I think I already know the answer, which would be negative.

Cheers!

stifle Jan 12, 2012 7:11 am

If you can get it into BA.com MMB then it might be offered, although probably only at OLCI.

FlightNurse Jan 12, 2012 11:55 am

Only at OLCI, I fought this out when my partner and I flew BA last (2010) xmas. BTW not too sure where you are fly out of but if you can upgrade to WT+ makes a world of difference...

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 17798535)
Hi,

I was wondering will I be offered if I am on an AA codeshare flight number but operated by BA for a Transatlantic flight?

I think I already know the answer, which would be negative.

Cheers!

danielbk Jan 15, 2012 11:31 am

Was offered an upgrade to TLV (W to J) for GBP 449 (i'm quite sure that's more than the actual fare difference) during the passport verification (mobile BP) stall before security control.

... stayed with 13k with normal sitting besides me.

clubman Jan 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by danielbk (Post 17818352)
Was offered an upgrade to TLV (W to J) for GBP 449

What a joke...

Never any bargains to be had on the route unfortunately.

cornishsimon Jan 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Still thinking of TP run ideas, does anyone have the current MMB upgrade prices for the following sectors which would be booked as singles so shouldnt fall down by having connecting flights:
JER-LGW
LGW-AMS

AMS-LGW
LGW-JER

ET currently selling in O for all 4 sectors im looking at

cs

silonic Jan 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon (Post 17866200)
Still thinking of TP run ideas, does anyone have the current MMB upgrade prices for the following sectors which would be booked as singles so shouldnt fall down by having connecting flights:
JER-LGW
LGW-AMS

AMS-LGW
LGW-JER

ET currently selling in O for all 4 sectors im looking at

cs

LGW - AMS currently £69

AMS - LGW was €49 just after Xmas but not sure of current MMB Upgrade.

BERbound Jan 23, 2012 9:28 am

AMS-LGW currently shows as €69 on MMB

Skipcool3 Jan 23, 2012 10:05 am

CS...... I snapped up the 49 Euro upgrade for my next AMS- LGW (April) before crimbo.... flight is now to City following schedule change....

nh1980 Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am

booked ET tickets to MUC today in September - getting offered upgrade to Club Europe for £79 each way, prob £30 saving vs. the cost of a return flight in CE outright. Given we all have Silver and therefore lounge access, instant seat selection, extra checked baggage allowance (which we won't use) there really is no point on this journey unless really needed the tier points