FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1117885-pro-active-upgrade-cost-tracking-questions-thread.html)

rossmacd Jul 6, 2011 9:31 am

I thought originally I needed to travel at the back of the bus to bring me back down to earth ;) when booking a short trip to visit a friend in Canada.

I booked a WT return LHR-YUL for October. I went into MMB today and was offered a POUG for £185 each way, for WT to WT+. Very tempting....

I will be out on a 777, returning on a 767. I am travelling with a friend so quite like the idea of the 2-3-2 layout on the 767 on the way back and I have not been on a 767 in years (probably in about a decade!).

But for a 6.5hr day flight on a 777 - £185 worth it for WT+? I have lounge access, as I am shiny.

As many will note, when the work is paying for travel its J, when I have to put my hand in my pocket, its Y :p Typical Scotsman!

Cap'n Benj Jul 6, 2011 10:00 am

The missus is currently being offered a £50 upgrade ET-CE LGW-AMS

clubman Jul 6, 2011 10:29 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 16680195)
I am travelling with a friend so quite like the idea of the 2-3-2 layout on the 767 on the way back and I have not been on a 767 in years (probably in about a decade!)

do you mean you fancy the 2-3-2 layout in Y? or are you talking about WTP? If the latter then it's 2-2-2 which actually makes it the nicest WTP cabin on any BA aircraft.

rossmacd Jul 6, 2011 10:44 am

Yes, I have pre-selected the 2 seats together for myself and travel companion in WT - can't be that bad, can it?

Its easier to play arm rest wars with the person sitting next to you if you know them. Also I will be able to bag the aisle seat for the extra space that may provide as I am the one guesting him in to the lounges.

For this relatively short flight, does WT+ matter? On a West Coast or Far East flight, it would be an easy decision to POUG to WT+ if necessary.

COOLIO Jul 6, 2011 1:17 pm

2 x upgrade for LHR - TXL for £59 each

littlevoices Jul 7, 2011 11:46 am

Just got a £59 per leg, per pax on LHR-FCO-LHR at T-24 (I was in there 1 minute after check-in opened to choose a good economy seat, then saw that and thought it was worthwhile). The T-24 wasn't the case for the FCO return (about T-5 days).

Led to a rather complex simultaneous booking on two screens as my wife was travelling on a seperate ticket so didn't want either of us to travel by ourselves.

IBMN Jul 10, 2011 4:41 pm

LHR to AMS in October

Option of £334 to upgrade during the booking process - no chance of that
Then immediately after payment in MMB £59 each way 'special offer'

rapopoda Jul 10, 2011 4:45 pm

USD649 SFO-LHR from CW to F

d'Yquem Jul 11, 2011 2:33 am

Offered on MMB:

"LHR-BRU: £227.17 per adult to upgrade to Club Europe on this flight

BRU-LHR: £229.44 per adult to upgrade to Club Europe on this flight

Save £ 60.00 by upgrading both flights for a total cost of £ 396.61"

Ridiculous pricing. Politely declined. Think I'm being targeted for "special' offers... :(

Globaliser Jul 11, 2011 4:07 am

Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer (Post 16706614)
Offered on MMB:

"LHR-BRU: £227.17 per adult to upgrade to Club Europe on this flight

Save £ 60.00 by upgrading both flights for a total cost of £ 396.61"

Ridiculous pricing. Politely declined.

Was this actually a POU special offer, or was this just the normal change price via the "Upgrade my class of travel with money" link?

FlightNurse Jul 11, 2011 7:05 am

IN Jan my parnter and I upgraded from WT+ to CW for $400/each. On a 10 hr flight that came to $40/hr which I thought was bargin. At first my partner wasn't happy I did, but once air borne, he turned to me and thanked me. he drank about $200 in drinks...

Originally Posted by rapopoda (Post 16704741)
USD649 SFO-LHR from CW to F

d'Yquem Jul 11, 2011 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 16706795)
Was this actually a POU special offer, or was this just the normal change price via the "Upgrade my class of travel with money" link?

It was the latter. There was no special offer.

Now I've checked in, I guess it's too late to receive a special offer.

d'Yquem Jul 12, 2011 6:47 am

Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer (Post 16706614)

This has now increased to £256. What an utter rip-off!

Is there any logic to how some people are being offered sub-£100 proactive upgrade offers and others - on the same route - are never offered them?

The OFT is already investigating the use of customer information for the purposes of differential pricing online.

Can one of the BA lurkers clarify whether BA does this?

stifle Jul 12, 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer (Post 16713416)
Can one of the BA lurkers clarify whether BA does this?

If they can and do, I very strongly suspect they would cease to be BA lurkers shortly afterwards!

BicesterTerrier Jul 12, 2011 7:41 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 16713589)
If they can and do, I very strongly suspect they would cease to be BA lurkers shortly afterwards!

:D Unless of course the OFT offer a witness protection program, perhaps one of the OFT lurkers monitoring the BA forum covertly could tell us.

Globaliser Jul 12, 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer (Post 16713416)
Is there any logic to how some people are being offered sub-£100 proactive upgrade offers and others - on the same route - are never offered them?

Is everything else the same? (Not just route, date, flight or booking class.) Was the cash ticket originally booked through the same sales channel, at the same time, at the same price, at the same level of discount?

d'Yquem Jul 13, 2011 4:54 pm

I had it explained to me tonight that actually it's quite possible for it to happen without any dodgy dealings, so I withdraw the suggestion.

Interestingly enough, BA is actively looking into offering different types of customers upgrade discounts and earlier upgrade options...

FlightNurse Jul 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Sure why not, its another way of gaining revenue.

Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer (Post 16723042)
I had it explained to me tonight that actually it's quite possible for it to happen without any dodgy dealings, so I withdraw the suggestion.

Interestingly enough, BA is actively looking into offering different types of customers upgrade discounts and earlier upgrade options...

irish4travel Jul 14, 2011 5:01 am

The process is so random, and makes no sense whatsoever. I got an upgrade LHR-LCA for only £69 for September 2011. 4.5hr flight on 767 and earn 3042 miles and 60TP's. Such a bargain!!!
:eek:
My point is, to get an upgrade for only £69 on BA's longest Europe flight is just madness, when they can charge £284 and other ridiculous prices for upgrades to short hops like AMS and BRU.

Globaliser Jul 14, 2011 6:09 am

Originally Posted by irish4travel (Post 16725420)
My point is, to get an upgrade for only £69 on BA's longest Europe flight is just madness, when they can charge £284 and other ridiculous prices for upgrades to short hops like AMS and BRU.

That's the difference between a special offer on one route, and no special offers on the other routes. Don't know what's so mad about that?

britbronco22 Jul 14, 2011 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 16725611)
That's the difference between a special offer on one route, and no special offers on the other routes. Don't know what's so mad about that?

Just revenue management isn't it? Goes to show how little the food must cost them these days!!
It does seem they have under-priced some routes a bit lately though.

bingcrosby Jul 14, 2011 11:59 am

Can someone clear up exactly how POU works?

As I live in the provinces (Glasgow) it seems I am unlikely to be ever offered, however...

When I book a flight on ba.com I always get the obligatory "price to increase flexibility" on domestic or "price to upgrade" as I go through the booking process.

There is also the option post booking in MMB to either upgrade with cash or upgrade with miles. Is a proactive upgrade different to this again?

As I say, those of us connecting through LHR seem not to get Proactive upgrades AFAIAA but just checking what I am actually looking for?

Rgds
BC

Palmer Jul 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by bingcrosby (Post 16727638)
...but just checking what I am actually looking for?

Rgds
BC

You should see something like this along the right hand side in MMB:

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/188_222/...ade2-vi868.jpg

This shows a £59 upgrade (ET to CE).

Palmer

drcasio Jul 24, 2011 11:40 am

Being offered a 399 one way upgrade LGW to Bridgetown WT+ to CW for me and Mrs drcasio travelling next week, er indoors has never traveled in a "premium cabin" so is it worth it? Or shall I just treat her to my normal gold card advantages (-the flounge at LHR)

Sherwood Hampton Jul 24, 2011 11:47 am

Originally Posted by drcasio (Post 16788121)
Being offered a 399 one way upgrade LGW to Bridgetown WT+ to CW for me and Mrs drcasio travelling next week, er indoors has never traveled in a "premium cabin" so is it worth it? Or shall I just treat her to my normal gold card advantages (-the flounge at LHR)

Seems a good deal to me. ^

sunrisegirl Jul 24, 2011 12:11 pm

It's the same price at the airport so this is a good rate. If you want an extra nice holiday with your wife, I think I'd take advantage ;)

thuzbuz Jul 24, 2011 12:25 pm

New Here!

Hi guys am new on this site, but have spent a couple of hours looking at the awesome stuff which people do, esp wrt to TP runs!
Anyways, I have a question which I'm sure has been asked 100 times, but couldn't find any direct reference in my hunt:
I know that it is possible to book long haul return flights (thinking of LHR-IAD) with different cabins in each direction, e.g. outbound in WT and back in WT+ very simply through the website. Is it possible to then MFU that return leg to CW, and if so how? I can't easily see how to do it on the website at the time of booking. Logic makes sense to me, but then again a bit too good to be true to be able to upgrade one leg to CW for the cost of the upgrade to WT+ and 12,500 miles.
Any help appreciated!
Cheers,
Charlie

travellingblade Jul 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by thuzbuz (Post 16788320)
Hi guys am new on this site, but have spent a couple of hours looking at the awesome stuff which people do, esp wrt to TP runs!
Anyways, I have a question which I'm sure has been asked 100 times, but couldn't find any direct reference in my hunt:
I know that it is possible to book long haul return flights (thinking of LHR-IAD) with different cabins in each direction, e.g. outbound in WT and back in WT+ very simply through the website. Is it possible to then MFU that return leg to CW, and if so how? I can't easily see how to do it on the website at the time of booking. Logic makes sense to me, but then again a bit too good to be true to be able to upgrade one leg to CW for the cost of the upgrade to WT+ and 12,500 miles.
Any help appreciated!
Cheers,
Charlie

Welcome to FT thuzbuz.

The simple answer is yes.

You can upgrade any WT+ leg so long as it is in fare code W, E or T. You can check this at the time of booking by clicking on the flight number on ba.com.

stifle Jul 24, 2011 2:11 pm

I wouldn't bother with £399 for 45TPs, but that's a very jaundiced view :)

Sherwood Hampton Jul 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 16788855)
I wouldn't bother with £399 for 45TPs, but that's a very jaundiced view :)

The TP's are just a bonus. The big benefit is flying CW for about 9 hours as opposed to WT+.

drcasio Jul 24, 2011 2:30 pm

I took the plunge, not for TPs but for 'er indoors :)

catwood Jul 24, 2011 5:15 pm

i'm being offered 399 from WT+ to CW on my LHR-EZE flight this week..very tempting.

FlightNurse Jul 25, 2011 3:15 am

Not too sure why you are waiting that is a 10 hr flight, and with the fact you get lounge access, and better servce/seat for an extra $40/hr its well worth it.

Originally Posted by catwood (Post 16789776)
i'm being offered 399 from WT+ to CW on my LHR-EZE flight this week..very tempting.

Sherwood Hampton Jul 25, 2011 3:50 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 16791802)
Not too sure why you are waiting that is a 10 hr flight, and with the fact you get lounge access, and better servce/seat for an extra $40/hr its well worth it.

I'd certainly go for it, but if one is a GCH, is the fact that they're offering upgrades to J mean there may be one coming on the day for free? It's a risky strategy.

clubman Jul 25, 2011 4:04 am

Originally Posted by drcasio (Post 16788978)
I took the plunge, not for TPs but for 'er indoors :)

Good for you - enjoy!

clubman Jul 25, 2011 4:06 am

catwood seems to be an AA Platinum so lounge entry isn't a consideration here, but I agree, it's a no brainer on this length of flight.
Providing one can afford it of course.

FlightNurse Jul 25, 2011 4:49 am

I would want to take the change, not for that lengh of flight.

Originally Posted by Sherwood Hampton (Post 16791880)
I'd certainly go for it, but if one is a GCH, is the fact that they're offering upgrades to J mean there may be one coming on the day for free? It's a risky strategy.

catwood Jul 25, 2011 5:34 am

actually it is a bit of a cost saving issue..the flight was pretty expensive to begin with.
It's sitting at J1 C1 D1 R1 I1 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 G0 which leads me to believe i might get an op up ..

britenbsas Jul 25, 2011 11:49 am

Not too sure why you are waiting that is a 10 hr flight

...and the rest. It's almost 14 hours. I'd be very tempted for £399 but you could also get a lot for that money in Buenos Aires :)

herbchris53 Jul 29, 2011 10:16 am

Just booked a flight JFK-LHR - company is paying so I had to book WT. Was offered upgrade to WT+ outbound for $160 which I took. Return leg WT+ is $768. Is there any likelihood of this number changing closer to departure time?