Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:09 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by britbronco22
Assume you have a Gold Card?

Just send them a secure message and mention which transactions have only received single points and tell them how many additional points you should be awarded. What trouble have you had?
Yes to gold card.

I sent them a secure message, to which they replied that I am getting the bonus points. I replied that those were the outbound spend bonus points, and not the travel bonus points (for overseas hotel spend) and they escalated it to the MR team.... who have now closed the case, having decided that I am getting the right points.

Is it just me?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:48 am
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
Originally Posted by lallyr
So I get the points as soon as they get their card regardless if they spend £2000 or not?
You get the points as soon as the card is approved, I think.

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Yes to gold card.

I sent them a secure message, to which they replied that I am getting the bonus points. I replied that those were the outbound spend bonus points, and not the travel bonus points (for overseas hotel spend) and they escalated it to the MR team.... who have now closed the case, having decided that I am getting the right points.

Is it just me?
For UK spend, I always get Travel bonus on Hilton spends. Have spent at Marriott only once since getting the gold card and didn't get it, and had to send a message to get it done.

So for overseas spend, you should get both. I'd send another message to ask for the Travel bonus, which you should be getting.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by ups

For UK spend, I always get Travel bonus on Hilton spends. Have spent at Marriott only once since getting the gold card and didn't get it, and had to send a message to get it done.

So for overseas spend, you should get both. I'd send another message to ask for the Travel bonus, which you should be getting.
I thought the fact that both Travel and overseas spend bonus was awarded was more of a system bug that something you are actually entitled too. Does it say anywhere you should get both sets of bonus?

It's vauge at best ...
Earn double points on travel spend and virtually all your spend abroad
Earn double points on petrol and major supermarket purchases for one year
and I think they could argue that you only get 2x not 4x - so may be a hard fight to win.

after all, you dont get 4x on overseas supermarket spend do you...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:07 am
ups

Maybe - but it is vague I agree.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ups

Indeed. Got the points within a day. Didn't think it would be that quick so never checked.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes to gold card.

Is it just me?
Ah you didn't mention it was for overseas spend. You only get double points on overseas spend unless you get lucky. I get triple on flights and car hire but not hotels. It doesn't say in the T&C'S that you are due more than double.
In the uk I often have to claim for travel bonus on hotels.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Yes to gold card.

Is it just me?
Just to update the above - got a nice note back from amex yesterday, apologising that their system is not picking up the overseas vendors as travel, and adding the 1500 MR points outstanding

So seems like the double double is official, rather than a lucky mistake
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin
How long does it take for points to show up on your account - I can see my purchases from last week but the points have not been added to my account yet. Also when will the sign up bonus post - I spent the £2000 required by the start of the second billing month.

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2012, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by apuleius
How long does it take for points to show up on your account - I can see my purchases from last week but the points have not been added to my account yet. Also when will the sign up bonus post - I spent the £2000 required by the start of the second billing month.

Thanks
Bonus usually goes on at the same time as the points for the spending that put you over the £2,000.

Transaction would something like:

20 October WH Smith £6.46 Base points: 6 Bonus points: 20,000 Total points: 20,006
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
Originally Posted by Raffles
Bonus usually goes on at the same time as the points for the spending that put you over the £2,000.

Transaction would something like:

20 October WH Smith £6.46 Base points: 6 Bonus points: 20,000 Total points: 20,006
The situation was different for my AMEX Gold - quoting an email that I received from AMEX UK on the 24th of August:

I confirm that your account is eligible for 20,000 Reward Points on spend of £1,000.00 in first three months.

We start checking accounts after three months to see if the spend is met. If met, the bonus reward points take upto eight weeks to appear on the account. This is the usual timeframe for such fulfilments. For reference, we have mentioned this in the terms and conditions of your Card account.

Further, I can see that you have already met the spend criterion. Basis this, the points will be issued on your fifth billing statement which is November 2012.

My bonus points were actually credited to my account earlier this month, about a month earlier than stipulated in the above email.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 1:41 pm
ups

Originally Posted by Rome77
The situation was different for my AMEX Gold - quoting an email that I received from AMEX UK on the 24th of August:

I confirm that your account is eligible for 20,000 Reward Points on spend of £1,000.00 in first three months.

We start checking accounts after three months to see if the spend is met. If met, the bonus reward points take upto eight weeks to appear on the account. This is the usual timeframe for such fulfilments. For reference, we have mentioned this in the terms and conditions of your Card account.

Further, I can see that you have already met the spend criterion. Basis this, the points will be issued on your fifth billing statement which is November 2012.

My bonus points were actually credited to my account earlier this month, about a month earlier than stipulated in the above email.
I agree, Gold bonus posts after the end of 3 month period (not sure why it's a manual process as it sounds from the response you received).

I was told I'd get it in the fourth statement, but I didn't so had to send a message to them and they applied it manually.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:22 am

Points and bonus posted as soon as target was hit ... Yay!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Points and bonus posted as soon as target was hit ... Yay!
You mean the 22k welcome bonus?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:54 am

Yes. Now, I wonder how long it takes for them to convert the points to Avios and reach my BAEC account.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Yes. Now, I wonder how long it takes for them to convert the points to Avios and reach my BAEC account.
Once you request the transfer a couple of days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.