Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Amex
Good to hear all your cards are arriving. I was away for a few days last week, so I only heard about the offer on Monday when it was too late.

Still, 22k points will have to do.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
My card too arrived today - I was impressed with the presentation compared to last time I had a gold card. So, what would people like next year, a promo to keep current us timers eg spend £x get x thousand mr? Or a sign up bonus for platinum?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
My card arrived today too but I have not had a phone call yet (unless it's that missed call I've not been bothered to call back). Thanks Price123 !
I called them and selected the option to "check the status of your application".

Originally Posted by price123
My card too arrived today - I was impressed with the presentation compared to last time I had a gold card. So, what would people like next year, a promo to keep current us timers eg spend £x get x thousand mr? Or a sign up bonus for platinum?
There is a little token bonus for renewal:

7,500 Membership Rewards bonus points will be awarded to your account every year at Card renewal if you have made purchases of at least £15,000 within a 12 month period ending on the anniversary of your Preferred Rewards Gold Card membership. Should you qualify in any given year, the 7,500 bonus points will be awarded to your account up to 60 days after your Card renewal.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
My card arrived today too but I have not had a phone call yet (unless it's that missed call I've not been bothered to call back). Thanks Price123 !
You would not necessarily get a call if the computer told you that your application had been OKed when you applied.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by teflon
Apologies for asking a question that's almost certainly been asked before, but it's probably simpler to ask here first than asking Amex...

Should my MR balance be increasing in line with items as they appear on my Recent Activity, or only once a statement is generated? I was fairly sure that when I had the card before, it was the former, but my spending so far has gained me 0 points.
To update on this - I called them, and it seems that the website was showing me the MR balance for my old Gold card account, which was closed last year. The man on the phone did some fiddling, and it's now showing me my correct balance.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: Who cares ?
I've got an AMEX gold and am currently racking up expenditure to be able to claim the 20,000 bonus and to speed this up I got a 2nd card for Mrs Hamster. Once we have the bonus I am tempted to refer Mrs Hamster so she can get her own card and then we start all over again on the bonus climb. Does the fact that she would currently hold a card associated with my account preclude her from having her own (or does the "no account within 6 months" rule kick in to prevent this ?)

Assuming the above was possible, if I then cancelled my gold card and waited 6 months would she be then able to refer me for a platinum - or can you only refer somebody at or below your own level ?

Finally, are AMEX not getting rather wise to all this and might they perhaps put a brake on card tarts who are clearly only jumping on for the bonus, cancelling, and then trying to come back for more, and more, and more ?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
1. She is fine to get a card, being a supplementary on your card does not count. The only risk is that Amex may decide that it already has given enough credit to your household, but you won't know until you try.

2. Gold can refer Plat, no problem

3. Who knows if Amex keeps a list of troublesome churners or not?! You would assume so, but I have never experienced it. Barclays had no problem giving me a Priority Club card after churning their Hilton card!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sparkythehamster
I've got an AMEX gold and am currently racking up expenditure to be able to claim the 20,000 bonus and to speed this up I got a 2nd card for Mrs Hamster. Once we have the bonus I am tempted to refer Mrs Hamster so she can get her own card and then we start all over again on the bonus climb. Does the fact that she would currently hold a card associated with my account preclude her from having her own (or does the "no account within 6 months" rule kick in to prevent this ?)

Assuming the above was possible, if I then cancelled my gold card and waited 6 months would she be then able to refer me for a platinum - or can you only refer somebody at or below your own level ?

Finally, are AMEX not getting rather wise to all this and might they perhaps put a brake on card tarts who are clearly only jumping on for the bonus, cancelling, and then trying to come back for more, and more, and more ?
The supplementary card will not stop Mrs Hamster from being elligible for the Gold Bonus.
Yes you could cancel and be elligible to receive the Plat bonus in 6 months time, assuming the rules are still the same in 6 months time.
If you have a Gold you can refer Gold or Plat and vice-versa. You can't refer a BA card or if you only hold a BA card you can't refer a MR card.

Amex already have introduced the 6 month rule, presumably to stop churning. Perhaps they may increase it again to 12 months in the future. As Raffles often says, in the long run you definitely want to stay on the right side of Amex as they provide the best opportunities to earn miles (outside of flying).
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:39 am

Raffles - thanks very much for the quick and clear reply. I am sure that a very large amount of FT'ers appreciate your knowledge and advice as they try and step through this complexity!

regards
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:03 am

Britbronco22 - thanks also for your input, much appreciated.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:46 am

I suspect phone calls are not given to notify of a successful application if an instant approval was not given at time of applying. As has been the case in the past, I called yesterday to find out if I had been accepted or not and was told 'yes, expect the card in the next couple of days'.

What is the 2 lounge passes I recieve with this card, and do they arrive with it?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
I suspect phone calls are not given to notify of a successful application if an instant approval was not given at time of applying. As has been the case in the past, I called yesterday to find out if I had been accepted or not and was told 'yes, expect the card in the next couple of days'.

What is the 2 lounge passes I recieve with this card, and do they arrive with it?
You will receive a "Lounge Club" card (and associated information pack) a couple of weeks after you get the Amex card. Your first two visits are free - but you will be charged £15 per visit thereafter
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:39 am

I'm going to apply for this today. If anyone would like to refer please PM me.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by BAabz
I'm going to apply for this today. If anyone would like to refer please PM me.
PM sent
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
My 'new' Gold card arrived today.

This offer came up at a good time - more than 6 months after I closed my last Gold, tops up the Avios nicely with the 30,000 MR for paying £2k off next year's cruise (plus another 4000 for doing that because it is Travel) and also has the bonus of giving me 2 lounge entries at Anchorage on the way back from that trip, where my other lounge cards don't get me in.

Good result - Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.