Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:45 pm
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
Originally Posted by AkhilStyle
Hi there,

I have had this card for a couple of months and reached the 1k spend. In the T&Cs it says that the bonus can take 60 days to be credited. In your experience would this be 60 days after the 1k threshold or 60 days after the 3 month window to spend? I.e. that would be around the 5th statement?

Thanks!
If you went the referral route, the referral part (2k) will post with the spend that took you over the limit.

The rest (20k) will post in the statement after the 3 month period has elapsed - that's what Amex told me anyway.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:01 am
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
I purchased train tickets worth £62 from southernrailway.com. I used my Amex Gold card so was expecting 2x miles due to the travel bonus.

However in my MR statement I see:
Base: 62
Travel bonus: 62
First year welcome bonus: 62

I'm happy to see 4x points instead of 2x, but is this a regular offer? I always end up buying train tickets at the station, and have always received 2x points before this.

Anyone else see this with online train ticket purchases?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by ups
I purchased train tickets worth £62 from southernrailway.com. I used my Amex Gold card so was expecting 2x miles due to the travel bonus.

However in my MR statement I see:
Base: 62
First year welcome bonus: 62

I'm happy to see 4x points instead of 2x, but is this a regular offer? I always end up buying train tickets at the station, and have always received 2x points before this.

Anyone else see this with online train ticket purchases?
I had something similar when I booked some Easyjet flights. Got a total of 4,817 points for a £939 spend, although 2k of those were the referral bonus as it took me over the £1k threshold.

Still seems to have given me 3X though!

Base 939
Travel Bonus 939
Travel Bonus 939
Thanks for recommending your Card 2000
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:22 pm

I referred my partner for this card a few weeks ago and she reached 2k a few days ago and her 20k bonus appeared a few days later and another 2k bonus inbetween!

I reached £1k (the then limit) several months ago but still no bonus - strange!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:28 am

FYI, the American Express mobile website is advertising this with the 20,000 MR point bonus when you spend £1000:

Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Online it still says the same old 10k after 2k spend.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Amex ipad app is still promotion events in July, so I would be wary of any mobile offer promoted by Amex! Although if you've got a screenshot they will after much fighting give you the points in the end.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
So......... With this card being a charge card, is there a limit to the amount i can charge to the account ?

Honeymoon was put on it with no problem, but i emailed Amex yesterday as im going to need to clear the balance of our wedding reception, somewhere over 5k and they said that they wouldnt allow this charge ?

Whats the deal with this charge card ?

cs
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
So......... With this card being a charge card, is there a limit to the amount i can charge to the account ?

Honeymoon was put on it with no problem, but i emailed Amex yesterday as im going to need to clear the balance of our wedding reception, somewhere over 5k and they said that they wouldnt allow this charge ?

Whats the deal with this charge card ?

cs
Last month I had a few queries with my Amex and received the following reply. They should be able to tell you what your 'limit' is (at present) and mine is near double figures although if I were not to use it for say 6 months then it would be reduced significantly month by month. This was from a CSR as well as being confirmed in this e-mail reply.

As it states below it all depends how much you use the card etc. Hope this explains it a bit.

Dear Mr XXX

With an American Express Charge Card (your Gold Card) there is no pre set spending limit as it is based on the amount you spend and pay back each month. If there is a lot of monthly spend activity then the amount you can spend will increase and if there is not a lot of monthly spend activity then your monthly threshold will be amended accordingly.

When a Charge Card account is first set up, information from the application is used to estimate an initial level of spend. For the first few months, this would be the level up to which charges would automatically be approved. After the first few months, the approved level of spend is determined by your previous spending pattern and the account payment history.

I'd give them a call, find out how much you can put on the card, when etc and maybe you can make a partial payment for your wedding by Amex and the remaining by some other means?

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Sep 18, 2012 at 7:12 pm Reason: additional last comment
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by PETER01
Last month I had a few queries with my Amex and received the following reply. They should be able to tell you what your 'limit' is (at present) and mine is near double figures although if I were not to use it for say 6 months then it would be reduced significantly month by month. This was from a CSR as well as being confirmed in this e-mail reply.

As it states below it all depends how much you use the card etc. Hope this explains it a bit.

Dear Mr XXX

With an American Express Charge Card (your Gold Card) there is no pre set spending limit as it is based on the amount you spend and pay back each month. If there is a lot of monthly spend activity then the amount you can spend will increase and if there is not a lot of monthly spend activity then your monthly threshold will be amended accordingly.

When a Charge Card account is first set up, information from the application is used to estimate an initial level of spend. For the first few months, this would be the level up to which charges would automatically be approved. After the first few months, the approved level of spend is determined by your previous spending pattern and the account payment history.

I'd give them a call, find out how much you can put on the card, when etc and maybe you can make a partial payment for your wedding by Amex and the remaining by some other means?

Pete

Cheers Big Man !

ill do just that, hopefully if not the full amount ill put as much as possible on the Gold Card and then the rest on the BA Amex PP to start me off towards my next 241 !

cs
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Cheers Big Man !

ill do just that, hopefully if not the full amount ill put as much as possible on the Gold Card and then the rest on the BA Amex PP to start me off towards my next 241 !

cs
I gave up the PP Card a while ago so need for a 241 as I much prefer solo trips....

Mind, you won't get way with that like me until you've been married for a few years, 21 in my case! You could always ask though!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
I gave up the PP Card a while ago so need for a 241 as I much prefer solo trips....

Mind, you won't get way with that like me until you've been married for a few years, 21 in my case! You could always ask though!

ha ha ha !

Think im going to manage a little trip to EDI next year with the best man but doubt ill be allowed to "holiday" alone, for the time being anyway !

cs
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Hm - interesting. I spent around 15k on my last year (ie just enough to trigger the bonus), fairly evenly, so just over 1k per month.

Then last month I put 6k worth of business expenses through (plus my own usual 1k), and this month another 6k for our holiday. I was a bit worried it wouldn't work, but everything seems to have gone through. And I'm loving the points, as most qualify for double of triple points, and one set of tickets attracted quadruple points.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Hm - interesting. I spent around 15k on my last year (ie just enough to trigger the bonus), fairly evenly, so just over 1k per month.

Then last month I put 6k worth of business expenses through (plus my own usual 1k), and this month another 6k for our holiday. I was a bit worried it wouldn't work, but everything seems to have gone through. And I'm loving the points, as most qualify for double of triple points, and one set of tickets attracted quadruple points.
Interesting, I haven't managed to achieve the ellusive quadruple points yet, been trying for 15 months! How did you manage it?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by britbronco22
Interesting, I haven't managed to achieve the ellusive quadruple points yet, been trying for 15 months! How did you manage it?
I didn't really manage it, it just happened. Most travel comes through as double, but foreign booked travel is triple (ie outbound plus travel bonus) - and since my BA account is based in Europe even my BA spend is triple. ^

But I recently booked some travel in the US - and US Airways came through only double - ie travel bonus, but no outbound spend, while Delta came through quadruple - double travel bonus plus outbound.

I wasn't going to query it, and it's a bit of swings and roundabouts anyway - my Holiday Inn bill last week didn't have any bonus but i wasn't going to bother. I did bother about the 3.5k hotel bill last month though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.