Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity, *Alliance
Originally Posted by heregiam
I'm stressed out just reading this! Has airline travel really got this bad?
Yes. I now look at travel as a necessary evil to go through to arrive at my desination.

Once I was interested in the journey, but no more. Airports are just a pain.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It doesn't even take a tensa-barrier as I learned on my recent trip in Japan. On my domestic flights on JAL and ANA, they did the pre-boarding, then held up a board that showed "Business/Premium class / whatever their status things are / Alliance statuses" at the gate to board those passengers first, and then they boarded the 'standard' passengers.

They firmly but very politely rejected all transgressors of this boarding order.

It really can be done quite easily.
They manage to do it very well at LGW even on SH. There is an announcement for GCHs etc etc to board now and transgressors are firmly repulsed.

My impression is that the gate staff at LHR just cannot be arsed to do a simple bit of crowd control. Would be very nice if a senior T5 manager could explain why LGW is so much better in this respect?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:45 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by HighLife
.....or read the paper at the boarding gate occasionally putting it down to enjoy the spectacle of the plastic-card-on-their-laptop-bags brigade trying to look important and barging past people...
Oh that is so true
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:54 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Palmer
Needless to say, when I arrived at my seat, probably one of the last 3 or 4 pasengers to board, the space in the overhead locker had gone. There was something stuffed below my seat from the passenger seated behind, and the bulkhead in front, so laptop bag headed off to row 8 with FA.
As the passenger seated behind is perfectly entitled to do
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:00 am

95% of the time I sit at the gate and wonder why people are 30 deep trying to get on the plane when on sh. Even when past the gate the line to get on the plane just drags. By the time I am one of the last to board, the lines have gone and it is a real pleasure. Only down side is at times lack of places to put ur bags. 767 sh are fab as very few people realize about the lockers at doors 2.
Now and again (only when in ce) I like to board first make out I am reading the paper and watch peoples faces as they head to row 99. If they realized what you got extra for ur money I am sure they would not be that worried!!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:05 am

To be perfectly honest, I have always hated this "Board At Your Leisure" approach, because it almost comes as an afterthought to the "we are boarding seat rows x to x" announcement. By the time the "may board at leisure" bit comes, the great unwashed are already on the escalator!

There is a general assumption among staff that "Club" or "Status" passengers are up in the lounge anyway and don't come down until last knockings! That's true of a handful of "lounge lizards", but I would say at least half are present at the gate when we start proceedings off.

It really wouldn't be hard to muster the passengers with special requirements first, and then to invite "Club and One World elites" to board first as soon as the "go ahead" is given, leaving a 10 - 15 second gap before starting the "boarding by seat number" bit!

At least we could give it a try! It would be interesting to see adrianjc32's comments.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Here in DOH on most flights (not including BA) the Y passengers board from the back and the C/F passengers board from the front. The curtain is already closed when the Y passengers start climbing aboard so overhead locker space is always available for the C/F passengers. ^
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:52 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Here in DOH on most flights (not including BA) the Y passengers board from the back and the C/F passengers board from the front. The curtain is already closed when the Y passengers start climbing aboard so overhead locker space is always available for the C/F passengers. ^
Probably not practical for SH flights at congested airports though - LHR for example. Two airbridges would no doubt increase the overall time each aircraft spends at the gate.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was impressed to note that BUD actually offered a seperate lane for priority boarding. A clear sign, a seperate BP reader and a member of staff behind the reader politely enforcing the rules. If contract staff at an outstation can do it, you can only conclude that it is laziness at T5 that prevents them.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:15 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Probably not practical for SH flights at congested airports though - LHR for example. Two airbridges would no doubt increase the overall time each aircraft spends at the gate.
And how many times have you had to wait on the ground at LHR to find someone who has "move the jetbridge the five feet to the plane" in their job description? I have been delayed for that very reason several times (granted, never longer than about five minutes, but still). Cannot imagine how much longer it would take to find TWO people to do that for each flight!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by BOH
As the passenger seated behind is perfectly entitled to do
Yes! Exactly! I'd no problem with that but if I'd failed to state the obvious then someone would only have asked why I hadn't checked under the seat for space.

Palmer
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by bealine

There is a general assumption among staff that "Club" or "Status" passengers are up in the lounge anyway and don't come down until last knockings! That's true of a handful of "lounge lizards", but I would say at least half are present at the gate when we start proceedings off.
That is true of many. My husband is the stressing sort and we always for s/h find ourselves hanging around the gate so that we can be first or nearly first on. I do not remember a "board at your leisure" announcement ever for s/h at T5 but I may not have been listening as we surge forward to board. not really a premium experience and BA really could improve on this at minimal cost.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I was impressed to note that BUD actually offered a seperate lane for priority boarding. A clear sign, a seperate BP reader and a member of staff behind the reader politely enforcing the rules. If contract staff at an outstation can do it, you can only conclude that it is laziness at T5 that prevents them.
Come to think of it, except for the BA staff working in the lounges, which are great, I found most T5 ground crew to be quite underwhelming.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:18 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
I think that the most embarrassing point for BA here is that EasyJet manage to organise priority boarding so it must be easy!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:24 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
Come to think of it, except for the BA staff working in the lounges, which are great, I found most T5 ground crew to be quite underwhelming.
Yes - and even though I don't go to T5 at strange times (I'm normally there late afternoons) the "BA Customer Service" counters are almost always unstaffed. I'm perpetually underwhelmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.