Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by arcticfox
While HIDDY's wife may try to kick you in the nuts (or is that bird seed?!), most of just want to help improve your service. And we'll do it free
Is HIDDY's wife on the forum

redsox?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Don't know about his wife, but his gorgeous dog Cuqui was a member for one brief post before being suspended
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by jgva
. But if there's a specific call for elites before anybody else is allowed, I don't mind to walk through standing people. Plus, this will solve the "elites fighting amongst themselves" problem that others have mentioned.
On every Air Canada flight I've been on the boarding calls are in the following order:
1. Those with infants and small children/ eldery/ disabled/ those who need extra time to board the aircraft.
2. Business class and those who are Super Elite/ Elite/ and *A gold and silver can board at their leisure (but called first)
3. Boarding Y class by row number starting at the back of the plane.

The gate agents are generally good about enforcing the rules, I've see people turned away and told that they are not boarding that row yet and to wait until the row they are in is called.

I've never had a problem with overhead bin space this way, and people seem to respect the Y/J division.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lobengula
is hiddy's wife on the forum
PUCCI ^
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lobengula
arcticfox was referring to my earlier post where I explained that she takes no prisoners when boarding at the gate.....no matter how shiny your card is.

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Don't know about his wife, but his gorgeous dog Cuqui was a member for one brief post before being suspended
Indeed...that was a injustice.

She sends you her love......she's sitting next to me at the moment.

Originally Posted by Genius1
PUCCI ^
Oi.......watch it.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Honey I think that the last time that he was able to look, Middle age spread notwithstanding he saw that he was still was a he. I think that Mrs Bealine would agree!
xx
Damn! Those rumours about middle-age spread are getting around!

I think that Mrs Bealine would agree!
.........about the fact I am a "he" or about the middle-aged spread?

As we have Number One Son and Darling Daughter, (currently working for the summer helping passengers in Terminal 4), one of us is a "he" and one of us is a "she" - I guess!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:08 am

6) Find out who "bealine" is and offer her the position of "Director of Customer Satisfaction & Delight". Anyone who takes the time and trouble to pass back a passport " with your nation's emblem uppermost and facing you" shows the kind devotion to customer service and the importance of small details which should be what makes BA a company to be proud of. Oh, and by the way, following this advice on turning a passport in this way is free. So is smiling. And calling me Mr Arcticfox.
Aw, shucks! I'm not really nuthin' special! Thanks for the kind thought though, I am pretty flattered!

Besides, I like our Director of Customer "Experience" - Silla Maizey. Her heart's in the right place, just there's a lot of pressure on her and the team to deliver huge cost-savings!

If Bealine had her job, he would probably be having to make the same unsavoury decisions as Silla!

As for the curious way I had passports back, it's all down to the way I was first trained when I entered the business! Calling customers by name is something I only tend to do where I know the particular national culture likes it - Americans, Africans, Japanese, Chinese seem to like being addressed by name, us British are a reserved lot who would rather pass by anonymously don't you think?

If you teach a child to always pass a knife or a pair of scissors by holding the blade and offering the recipient the handle, they will continue to do so throughout life. If you teach a child to always look behind them when going through a doorway, and hold the door if someone is following, they will do this in adulthood. Teach someone, as a child, to treat people the way they like to be treated themselves, you have someone who naturally gives customer service! Simples!

Because I come from a farming background which supplied Waitrose years ago, I am rather well known in a John Lewis branch or two and it makes me cringe when the staff keep calling me Mr XXX, although I can never fault their standards of customer service!

So, I may have a customer service idea or two for Silla, but I'd rather be her right-hand man than to threaten her job!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by genius1
pucci ^
NOT IF HE WAS THE LAST MAN ON THE PLANET!

You do value your life - and No I was not his bltch ejected after one posting either.

Do Skylady and the other fine flying folk on Flyertalk have to tolerate such insults to their taste and intelligence?

However we learn that Bealine is a man of the soil and that Bealine-ette and Bealine Heir Apparent are now very grown up. God, must make him feel 100 some days! xxxxx
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:39 am

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by bealine
Aw, shucks! I'm not really nuthin' special! Thanks for the kind thought though, I am pretty flattered!

Besides, I like our Director of Customer "Experience" - Silla Maizey. Her heart's in the right place, just there's a lot of pressure on her and the team to deliver huge cost-savings!

If Bealine had her job, he would probably be having to make the same unsavoury decisions as Silla!

As for the curious way I had passports back, it's all down to the way I was first trained when I entered the business! Calling customers by name is something I only tend to do where I know the particular national culture likes it - Americans, Africans, Japanese, Chinese seem to like being addressed by name, us British are a reserved lot who would rather pass by anonymously don't you think?

If you teach a child to always pass a knife or a pair of scissors by holding the blade and offering the recipient the handle, they will continue to do so throughout life. If you teach a child to always look behind them when going through a doorway, and hold the door if someone is following, they will do this in adulthood. Teach someone, as a child, to treat people the way they like to be treated themselves, you have someone who naturally gives customer service! Simples!

Because I come from a farming background which supplied Waitrose years ago, I am rather well known in a John Lewis branch or two and it makes me cringe when the staff keep calling me Mr XXX, although I can never fault their standards of customer service!

So, I may have a customer service idea or two for Silla, but I'd rather be her right-hand man than to threaten her job!
I too share some sympathy for your Director - it must be an outrageously difficult job in times such as these, and I doubt it is one I'd want at the moment. It must be difficult having to take cost-cutting decisions which you know will erode the overall service offering, and yet I cannot help thinking that adopting a sort of "one cost cutting measure to be balanced by 3 cost-less minor improvements (such as the queuing system)" would help offset the necessary pain in some areas. And to train everyone to hand back the passports the way you do (again virtually cost free), for all it is a tiny detail, would make a HUGE statement about the way BA views its customers. Such things have a habit of rubbing off on the way people serve customers in other ways, not to mention the fact that it has other benefits. To be know as "the company which hands your passport back with respect" might seem in some ways a bit contrived, but it is all these little details which help to build and sustain a reputions such as "the world's favourite airline". I seem to recall a few years back an advertising campaign which included a story about one CC (I think it could have been Air Canada, but could be wrong) when asked if they had hot chocolate available went to her own personal stash (the airline didn't normally offer it) and made a hot chocolate for the passenger. Who knows if this was true or just some marketing tale. Yet urban legends like this are what "set the tone" for everyone in a company and what help build a brand.

I still annually go back to the same small hotel that my parents used to take me to. To be honest, the facilites are basic, the rooms a little dated and the food, while tasty and wholesome, certainly isn't the finest I've ever eaten. Yet from as early as I can remember as a child, whenever I (as a kid) and my sister went to the hotel, sitting on the bed would be a soft-toy for each of us with a label round its neck with our name on it which we then had custody of while we were there. Now that I am older, the same thing is done for the "arctic cubs" (as I am sure is the case for all small visitors). The look of hapiness on the kids faces when they run into the room to see what teddy is waiting for them this time with THEIR name on is worth far more to me than any amount of Priority Points, and it would not surprise me if my kids (if they in turn have kids) will continue to go there too.

I accept your point about being called by name - some people find it a bit more cringeworthy than others, though I often feel that this rather depends on how it is done. When done (NOT overdone!) politely and discretely, I still thing it leaves a positive impression and helps reinforce a feeling of "personal" service which can really make a company stand out from the masses.

And yes, you are so right about training and learning good habits which will last a lifetime. I have never had any concerns about the quality of training of BA staff when it comes to the most important aspects of flight safety and basic process. But I long for the day when the training extends to the finer details of "passport passing". If BA wants become "The airline of a thousand little touches", I for one will keep coming back.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:50 am

I seem to recall a few years back an advertising campaign which included a story about one CC (I think it could have been Air Canada, but could be wrong) when asked if they had hot chocolate available went to her own personal stash (the airline didn't normally offer it) and made a hot chocolate for the passenger. Who knows if this was true or just some marketing tale. Yet urban legends like this are what "set the tone" for everyone in a company and what help build a brand.
It probably was true.

A very, very nice In-Flight Service Manager for Continental Airline did just that for Darling Daughter one night coming back from Houston. After dinner had been served and the crew were offering "tea or coffee?", Darling Daughter (6 years old at the time) lisped, in her sweetie-pie way, "Is there any Hot Chocolate please?"

"Sorry, Honey, there isn't!" he replied, and carried on serving the rest of the cabin.

When he finished, we heard a lot of rustling from the front of the cabin, and the sound of a trolley bag being unzipped. The ISM suddenly appeared in front of Darling Daughter with a steaming mug of chocolate and said to her "I like a hot chocolate before I turn in at my hotel, so I usually carry some! You enjoy it!"

Some people will go the extra mile with no thought of their own reward - and before anyone cottons-on, he didn't do it because we were on staff tickets, he is just a genuine, nice Texan! (because I still see him at Heathrow occasionally)

.........and, not to be outdone, we do have some people like that in British Airways too! Our BA News (replaced now with the on-line version "Up!") could probably fill Encycopaedia Britannica with the bouquets we have received over the years for individuals who have put themselves out!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
The way AA do it is really good. Separate signage for the F/J/Elites line, and a pre-boarding announement for F/J/Elites. Simple, clear, effective.
Maybe not for much longer:

AA to launch priority boarding service
Business Traveller

The quote which sums it up for me:

Originally Posted by FrancisA
LAN can manage to do priority boarding on a one class service for the benefit of status passengers in the middle of a rain forest (Igazu Falls - IGR), yet BA cannot do this at the flagship terminal of their main home hub!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by bealine
It probably was true.

A very, very nice In-Flight Service Manager for Continental Airline did just that for Darling Daughter one night coming back from Houston. After dinner had been served and the crew were offering "tea or coffee?", Darling Daughter (6 years old at the time) lisped, in her sweetie-pie way, "Is there any Hot Chocolate please?"

"Sorry, Honey, there isn't!" he replied, and carried on serving the rest of the cabin.

When he finished, we heard a lot of rustling from the front of the cabin, and the sound of a trolley bag being unzipped. The ISM suddenly appeared in front of Darling Daughter with a steaming mug of chocolate and said to her "I like a hot chocolate before I turn in at my hotel, so I usually carry some! You enjoy it!"

Some people will go the extra mile with no thought of their own reward - and before anyone cottons-on, he didn't do it because we were on staff tickets, he is just a genuine, nice Texan! (because I still see him at Heathrow occasionally)

.........and, not to be outdone, we do have some people like that in British Airways too! Our BA News (replaced now with the on-line version "Up!") could probably fill Encycopaedia Britannica with the bouquets we have received over the years for individuals who have put themselves out!
I do the same with herbal and fruit tea. I do not drink them myself, but take a selection from hotels I stay in and if someone asks for one on a flight, I tell them we do not have them onboard, but that I have a few in my bag. Bring them some hot water and a selection of teas after the service... Seems to bring a little bit extra to things...
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
I still annually go back to the same small hotel that my parents used to take me to. To be honest, the facilites are basic, the rooms a little dated and the food, while tasty and wholesome, certainly isn't the finest I've ever eaten. Yet from as early as I can remember as a child, whenever I (as a kid) and my sister went to the hotel, sitting on the bed would be a soft-toy for each of us with a label round its neck with our name on it which we then had custody of while we were there. Now that I am older, the same thing is done for the "arctic cubs" (as I am sure is the case for all small visitors). The look of hapiness on the kids faces when they run into the room to see what teddy is waiting for them this time with THEIR name on is worth far more to me than any amount of Priority Points, and it would not surprise me if my kids (if they in turn have kids) will continue to go there too.
I must say, that is an excellent touch, and one which has clearly paid its dividends manifold. ^

And yes, you are so right about training and learning good habits which will last a lifetime. I have never had any concerns about the quality of training of BA staff when it comes to the most important aspects of flight safety and basic process. But I long for the day when the training extends to the finer details of "passport passing". If BA wants become "The airline of a thousand little touches", I for one will keep coming back.
I agree. Unfortunately many airlines do the converse and end up scaring customers away. I firmly believe it is far easier to get money when it's given willingly than when it's given begrudgingly.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue
On the subject of 'details do matter', on a recent lh QF flight the CC were handing out table cloths ahead of the dinner service. I was working on my laptop and not quite ready to receive it yet, so the FA offered to hand it to me for me to lay out myself. By this time I'd cleared space, and when she saw me checking which side was 'up', she remarked that she was genuinely impressed I'd checked.

I wasn't sure whether to be embarrassed at my analness (at 26 I really shouldn't care about things like this, should I?!), or pleased to have developed a level of 'refinement'!

But the point is important - being given a coaster upside down (or occasionally not at all), or the menu, or your passport... it all detracts from what still should be a special experience.

So to all those BA staff that strive to uphold attention to detail, I thank you.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:49 pm

But I long for the day when the training extends to the finer details of "passport passing".
The gentleman who trained me, an ex-British Caledonian steward, remarked that "You wouldn't stick a stamp on an envelope upside down, in case someone thought you unpatriotic, so why should you hand a passport back upside down, or sideways? You should treat someone's passport with the respect it deserves and offer it back with the emblem uppermost and the right way round to the passenger's view!"

Do you know, the process is so automatic, I hardly realise I am doing it?

......and that is my point. If you train someone the way you want them to do a job properly from the start, they will always do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.