Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:31 am

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
I prefer having a separate queue specifically for premium cabins - makes the whole boarding experience with the ferrals a much nicer experience

One time when my partner and I "made our way to the front of the queue" we got savage death glares...

....so yes, boarding first allows you to relax and get into the mode, but I prefer not having to pull rank by going to the front of the queue
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I'll either do option 2 if I am early, or option 4 which is take a seat at the gate until there is no queue and be the last to board. I normally only travel with a small bag which fits under the seat in front, or indeed, underneath the blocked B or E seat, and there is often overhead space left in the club cabin. I don't stand and wait whether I'm travelling in Y, J or F -I just sit at the gate, read the paper etc until more or less everyone is onboard and then present myself. This occasionally annoys gate agents, especially in Salzburg for some reason, who seem to insist that you go and wait in the 100 strong line. If that happens, I just move myself over to an adjacent gate.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
I've never flown on a 3 class AA flight so I don't know if it works any differently on them.
It works exactly the same on a 3 class with AA.

Palmer

Last edited by Palmer; Mar 2, 2010 at 6:12 am Reason: Quote had not posted correctly
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haydensydney
I prefer having a separate queue specifically for premium cabins - makes the whole boarding experience with the ferrals a much nicer experience
The way AA do it is really good. Separate signage for the F/J/Elites line, and a pre-boarding announement for F/J/Elites. Simple, clear, effective.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
It should be one of two ways - either start and finish boarding of all elites/CE first, so that they can be settled in their seats before boarding Y, or have them wait until Y is finished boarding and then board them.

What happens is that you get some of CE boarding and then filling their lockers, getting settled etc., whilst Y pax are then on their way out to the aircraft too. Just creates a queue whilst the Y pax wait for the CE pax to finish. Seems barmy to me. Even worse when on a remote stand, it's peeing down with rain and you're standing on the aircraft steps getting soaked.

As long as the CE lockers are closed and Y pax are prevented from putting anything in them then I would beg to suggest that boarding CE pax at the end would make most sense. However, this may seem "service unintiuitive", hence why you get this odd system that is in place now. From a CE perspective it also means potentially more time in the lounge and less in the terminal, too
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by xxxxx
The premium shorthaul boarding proposition at LHR is "board at your leisure" which doesn't mean walk to the front of the queue.

All shorthaul flights should be boarded by seat row, the back rows done first say 14-22, 1-13 then all remaining passengers. Board at your leisure means you can board at any time you wish regardless of where you are sat.

Longhaul should always have a seperate Fast Track but as SpeedbirdLHR has mentioned, additional security on US flights has meant this can't always be done.
But this isn't what is promised in the docs you receive with your shiny cards.

It says (and I remember quite clearly), as a GCH "you will always be invited to board first". It doesn't say anything about domestic, SH or LH and it doesn't say "board with the masses".

That's why the shiny cardholders get upset. The marketing promises one thing, the ground crew think that the process is something different.

Boarding at your leisure is a cop-out. Elites and premium classes have paid for priority boarding and, certainly on Domestic and Short Haul, never receive it in my (very regular) experience..
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
The marketing promises one thing, the ground crew think that the process is something different.
Boarding at leisure is the proposition given to ground staff by Brands and is included on the official announcements cards.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Boarding at leisure is the proposition given to ground staff by Brands and is included on the official announcements cards.
Boarding at leisure means the same thing as priority boarding to me. OK, so there's no separate announcement or line (it's not OK, but I'll let it slide ), but my idea of 'leisurely' boarding is not standing in a queue for 10 minutes.

Leisurely boarding is leaving the lounge, strolling to the gate, passing my BP to an agent, wishing the agent a pleasant day and then strolling straight down the jetway onboard (or onto the bus if needs must).

I'm going to email BA EC about the boarding on my flight back from BCN yesterday to see what their response is to this.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by polar_b
So...if in CE, or you have status do you:
1) March confidently past everyone else, slam your boarding pass or card on the counter and watch the faces of the plebs grumbling behind you?
2) If boarding has not started, go to the front of the queue, positioning yourself before the first person in the queue, apologetically saying that you are allowed to board first?
3) Wait patiently in the queue with the plebs, after all boarding a SH flight does not take that long so what is the harm.
I tend to do 3), ignoring any "we're now boarding row X" type calls.

The biggest issue with 1) and 2) is that you're potentially pushing in front of other status members and people in Business... That really makes you look like an arrogant so-and-so.

A separate line for priority boarding is the best answer ... pity so many airlines do it poorly.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On the BAEC membership benefits page it says "At departure you can board at your convenience regardless of the class you are travelling in that day."

I read that as meaning you can choose to board first or board last. How you do it is up to you.......either dilly dally at the back or stride arrogantly to the front pushing aside the minions as you go.

Be warned, if you push me aside you'll get a mouthful and if you push my wife you'll get a kick in the balls.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
The way AA do it is really good. Separate signage for the F/J/Elites line, and a pre-boarding announement for F/J/Elites. Simple, clear, effective.
Another vote for the way AA does it. ^

I had 14 SH sectors in 3 days with them a couple of years ago and this worked every single time.

IIRC, it's just one sign infront of and between two desks directing F/Elite left and other right. No need for a dedicated lane or desk at all . . . brilliant!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY
...l and if you push my wife you'll get a kick in the balls.
There speaks the voice of experience...
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by jgva
I don't see why you'd need more staff. Two staff, one of which takes the priority pax when there are any in the "special" line, otherwise they take the normal pax. Kinda like the smaller outstations do with the CW checkin line.
And pretty much the way CX manages its boarding process. I can always walk from the lounge to the gate knowing that I'll be able to pretty much go straight-on to the aircraft as long as boarding has commenced. As others point out, AA also gets this consistently right. Have never understood how BA can't do this part of their product better.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Have never understood how BA can't do this part of their product better.
As has been posted many times before I just do not understand why LHR gate staff seem incapable of handling this simple instruction but LGW do 100% of the time. I suspect if the LHR Management could be arsed to get down to the T5 gates and watch what happens things might improve!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

BA, please note! Even some LCCs are doing a better job of priority boarding. They have a separate queue for those who paid for priority boarding.
+1 ^ So whatever happened to the simple procedure of asking for pax who need assistance with boarding first... + Club pax? (not suggesting of course that Club pax need assistance, however after all of that Bolly in the lounge, some help would be appreciated!)

Last edited by ginger50; Mar 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm Reason: bracket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.