Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
We don't have a separate queue for shorthaul flights, but all CE and OW Emer and Saph customers should be invited to board at their leisure with economy boarded by seat number from the back, therefore ensuring that there isn't a long queue during the boarding. The gate information screens should also reflect this as it is programmed in and should be displayed if done correctly.

For domestic flights it should again be similar. Longhaul flights should always have a separate Fasttrack point. On the US flights this has become somewhat difficult due to the extra searches, but steps are in place to help improve the situation over the coming weeks.

If these standards aren't being met, I would suggest speaking to the gate team leader and if time permits, ask for a duty manager and write into customer relations pointing out that the promised service wasn't delivered. We have been given constant reminders that these standards must be adhered to.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Please tell us more about male capercaillies. I've eaten capers but have never been aware of their sex. Caillies sounds exotic, or Celtic and sweaty, so I wonder what they do?
Could this be what HIDDY means
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by zippyboarder
Gold and Silver are allowed priority boarding

Recently was boarding a LH flight at T5 to find no priority boarding queue, dont know what went wrong on this occasion but as has been mentioned the LCC's are doing a better job
How recent was this? I would feed this back via customer relations or if you want, feel free to PM me the details and I will pass it on. It should not have happened.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I suspect we are talking chalk and cheese here. For my day trips with modest possessions I prefer to be last on - particularly if there is a bus transfer for boarding

Unfortunately my normal run is LHR-LCA with the s/h 767, and I almost always have a wheeled bag to get into an overhead (the centre ones dont take them) and as i am usually in 1D or 1F it is a bit of a struggle without going far back if you board late and through door 1L. I strive to try and get everything into a Red Ox which I can get into the centre overhead but it is seldom possible to get 3/4 days of kit and papers into luggable size!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:53 pm

Rome was pretty bad last week. There wasn't anything so formal as a queue - just a big scrum. When things had calmed down I asked the agent at the gate about priority boarding. He said it didn't operate there (FCO).

Palmer
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HighLife
Exactly. Why not board last?
Agreed and that is what I normally do. Sometimes though I haven't got the time to go to the lounge and head straight for the gate. It is in those situations I was mostly curious as to what the etiquette is.

So, it seems we have a slightly bizarre situation whereby status pax/CE pax have the right to priority boarding - but no way of actually accessing the plane any faster as there is just one queue. I have observed this at T5, and always thought it was a bit odd. I actually remember being a test passenger when they were having their trials and I was a UK domestic pax on business; I got to queue in a separate queue.

Agree that LCCs do this better. Boarding is normally fast though, unless the flight is very full...
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:02 pm

The premium shorthaul boarding proposition at LHR is "board at your leisure" which doesn't mean walk to the front of the queue.

All shorthaul flights should be boarded by seat row, the back rows done first say 14-22, 1-13 then all remaining passengers. Board at your leisure means you can board at any time you wish regardless of where you are sat.

Longhaul should always have a seperate Fast Track but as SpeedbirdLHR has mentioned, additional security on US flights has meant this can't always be done.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
We don't have a separate queue for shorthaul flights, but all CE and OW Emer and Saph customers should be invited to board at their leisure with economy boarded by seat number from the back, therefore ensuring that there isn't a long queue during the boarding. The gate information screens should also reflect this as it is programmed in and should be displayed if done correctly.

For domestic flights it should again be similar. Longhaul flights should always have a separate Fasttrack point. On the US flights this has become somewhat difficult due to the extra searches, but steps are in place to help improve the situation over the coming weeks.

If these standards aren't being met, I would suggest speaking to the gate team leader and if time permits, ask for a duty manager and write into customer relations pointing out that the promised service wasn't delivered. We have been given constant reminders that these standards must be adhered to.
And are cabin crew reminded to stop Y passengers putting their luggage in the CE overhead storage? Would not have CE pax needing to enforce their "rights" if the luggage space was certain of being available to them
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Physci
And are cabin crew reminded to stop Y passengers putting their luggage in the CE overhead storage? Would not have CE pax needing to enforce their "rights" if the luggage space was certain of being available to them
+1 ^
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Well done...displaying their feathers like shiny cards.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
How recent was this? I would feed this back via customer relations or if you want, feel free to PM me the details and I will pass it on. It should not have happened.
It was about 3 or 4 months ago leaving T5B the placard was in place but nobody was manning it

I cannot ever recall a call inviting priority boarding on domestics but I will let you know tommorow after my next domestic (currently in the lounge at GIG)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
IIRC the only time I've heard (in the past 18 months) an announcement on SH BA flights for Silvers/Golds/CE 'board at leisure' was at AMS.....I don't think i've ever heard it at LHR....but I do hear the odd boarding by row PA but not often.

When airlines do do it by seat row, I don't see it enforced (apart from when I was in the US last year, when the gate agents turned people away and made sarcastic PA's lol)....surely ALL those people are not in the back X rows....
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Yup, that is a picture of HIDDY on the Pampas. Now what about one of a capercaillie?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by polar_b
with CE there is often no separate line for CE pax, so this begs the question: What is the correct boarding etiquette? I have seen some pax on this board describe how they simply storm past the rest of the Y pax in the queue ...
I cannot imagine why anybody with status would be anywhere near a Domestic or European gate whilst there is still a queue.

Very nice slow-roasted.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
It would be nice if BA could introduce differentiated boarding passes. Flying in Asia and finding myself at the back of the queue I just hold up my red or blue bp and often get ushered to the front of the queue. The other pax see this and don't seem to particularly care... and you're not in the position then to barge past anyone.

Might have something to do with the excess staff to ensure smooth boarding in many asian ports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.