Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE board at your leisure - forcing your way past the plebs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
No CE Priority Boarding Again LUX-LGW (Good CC, though)

Made a point of asking the check-in agent this morning, and was told that the airport just didn't do priority boarding, period. I know LUX can be a bit of a backwater, but one would think BA could do something about this.

On the bright side, a smooth flight with excellent CC, and very attentive service. I always love how they don't bat an eye on UK/EU airlines when winos like me ask for morning champagne. USA CC looks at you like you're a degenerate if you order a drink before noon. Not that domestic first in the U.S. even offers champagne anymore.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Yeah, not being able to book row 1 has never been a hardship, as I prefer second or third row of CE, since you have the under the seat space for your stuff if the overhead is full.

Oh, for the days when we were restricted to one carry on
I do prefer 2nd row as well. It's also beneficial for not having to smell someone's smelly feet on bulkhead. The other day, a woman took her shoes off and put her bare feet on the bulkhead. I was not impressed to see this, especially since her travelling companion (male) had his smelly feet on the bulkhead as well.

As for one carry-on, I sometimes wonder whether they should enforce "strictly one carry on only for ET/WT, and if you are in F/CE/CW, then two is fine" because far too many ET passengers put their things in CE bins and constantly come into the cabin to disturb CE passengers (as well as disturbing us by using the forward loo). LTN airport manages to enforce one carry-on system, so there's no reason why LHR etc can't.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I do prefer 2nd row as well. It's also beneficial for not having to smell someone's smelly feet on bulkhead. The other day, a woman took her shoes off and put her bare feet on the bulkhead. I was not impressed to see this, especially since her travelling companion (male) had his smelly feet on the bulkhead as well.
Oh this is one of my pet-hates.... bare feet on a plane.... I don't know why, but I just can't stand it!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by flygirl68
Oh this is one of my pet-hates.... bare feet on a plane.... I don't know why, but I just can't stand it!
Oh flygirl you are a girl after my own heart! The very idea of it makes me ill. Seeing someone enter the lav with bare feet (or even stockings) positively sends me over the edge!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by arcticfox
I seem to recall a few years back an advertising campaign which included a story about one CC (I think it could have been Air Canada, but could be wrong) when asked if they had hot chocolate available went to her own personal stash (the airline didn't normally offer it) and made a hot chocolate for the passenger. Who knows if this was true or just some marketing tale. Yet urban legends like this are what "set the tone" for everyone in a company and what help build a brand.
It wasn't a hot chocolate, but when I declined tea and coffee, I've been asked by one of the BA cabin crew members if I wanted other teas that she'd had with her and that she had fruit teas, green tea etc. I thought it was most sweet.

So it actually does happen.

On average, I think BA cabin crew members do look after passengers quite well.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by phlashba
Oh flygirl you are a girl after my own heart! The very idea of it makes me ill. Seeing someone enter the lav with bare feet (or even stockings) positively sends me over the edge!
OH! Into the loo! I know i've seen this too.... so very wrong..... (heave)
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by flygirl68
The only time I can cope with seeing feet on bulkhead is someone has fresh clean socks.

Even then, I have a feeling of discomfort but that's probably more my mother's fault than anything for telling me that putting my feet anywhere 'not totally obviously appropriate' was bad.

The flight a few days ago in CE was particularly bad. As well as this non-lady with bare feet on the bulkhead and her travelling companion with socked feet on the bulkhead, there was a man across the aisle also having his feet on the bulkhead but in shoes. Usually, I only see two people with feet on the bulkhead, but the only person who didn't have the feet on the bulkhead was me!

I normally don't choose row 1 but I didn't have much choice on that flight... and it fully reminded me why I don't like being seated there.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold VIP, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt Gold Passport, Miles&More Blue
Originally Posted by polar_b
3) Wait patiently in the queue with the plebs, after all boarding a SH flight does not take that long so what is the harm.
Always. I actually find that the CE passengers rushing onboard means that the boarding will be slower as they create a bottleneck at the very front of the cabin.

Last edited by CMoller; Jun 24, 2010 at 9:21 am
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold VIP, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt Gold Passport, Miles&More Blue
The only time I can cope with seeing feet on bulkhead is someone has fresh clean socks.

Even then, I have a feeling of discomfort but that's probably more my mother's fault than anything for telling me that putting my feet anywhere 'not totally obviously appropriate' was bad.

The flight a few days ago in CE was particularly bad. As well as this non-lady with bare feet on the bulkhead and her travelling companion with socked feet on the bulkhead, there was a man across the aisle also having his feet on the bulkhead but in shoes. Usually, I only see two people with feet on the bulkhead, but the only person who didn't have the feet on the bulkhead was me!

I normally don't choose row 1 but I didn't have much choice on that flight... and it fully reminded me why I don't like being seated there.
This reminded me of one of the funniest on board experiences I've ever had when I was in business class on an AC flight to YVR about 5 years ago. I was travelling with a friend who had been partying a bit too hard the night before (I dragged myself off to bed as I'm not really a morning person so hated the thought of a long flight with too little sleep beforehand). Just before I left, my friend had decided it would be fun to start offering to paint the toe nails of the ladies present at the party and it was about that time I left. The next day he decides to wear sandals to the airport while still being (very) hungover. It wasn't until we got in the air and he swung the foot rest up to full height that he was suddenly staring at his own toenails, which had also been painted during the night. He got some very funny looks from the CC and I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw them. I guess that's yet another reason why one should always wear socks on a plane
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:24 am

It wasn't a hot chocolate, but when I declined tea and coffee, I've been asked by one of the BA cabin crew members if I wanted other teas that she'd had with her and that she had fruit teas, green tea etc. I thought it was most sweet.

So it actually does happen.

On average, I think BA cabin crew members do look after passengers quite well.
Couldn't agree more. I've been offered various things over the years and almost always get good banter as well, which just makes the journey more pleasant. I've also found that whenever I have any questions about the fleet that the CC will gladly ask another crew member if they don't know themselves and they then come back and tell me.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by CMoller
Always. I actually find that the CE passengers rushing onboard means that the boarding will be slower as they create a bottleneck at the very front of the cabin.
Actually all that has to happen is that the CE PAX stand in the row in front of the C or D seat. They can still reach the overhead lockers and not block the aisle.

Unfortunately brains seem to be in short supply amongst our captains of industry!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by OPebble
Actually all that has to happen is that the CE PAX stand in the row in front of the C or D seat. They can still reach the overhead lockers and not block the aisle.
It makes it easier to put things into the overhead bins too, especially for a shortie like me.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Proper pre-boarding at LGW today.

My return flight to LUX, 99% full, excellent job of pre-boarding CE and elites in front of a crowd of unruly gate lice. And another great CC.....love those extra scones!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by Habemuspapam
Made a point of asking the check-in agent this morning, and was told that the airport just didn't do priority boarding, period. I know LUX can be a bit of a backwater, but one would think BA could do something about this.
They can't even do it at their flagship T5 so ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.