Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike ballot called: here we go [General discussion of BA industrial relations]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
One gathers from another PPlace that BA offered to open the books to any Union who wanted to do so, subject to signing a confidentiality agreement. Only one Union signed said agreement...
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by awestphal
Catering strike in 2005 (was it 2005 or 2006?). Was booked BA EWR-LHR-TXL in A, ended up in CO EWR-TXL in D, got something like 100.000 miles and a fare difference from A to D to boot.

Just recently (2009): LWO-VIE-TXL on OS clx in LWO due to "technical issues" and was rerouted LWO-KBP-MUC-TXL on PS/LH.
The catering strike was different in that it was a wildcat strike. If there is a strike BA will probably announce a planned flying programme in advance, and give the option to rebook or cancel if your flight is cancelled.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
With thanks to The Strawbs (1973) let's all sing along together:

Oh you don't get me I'm part of the union
You don't get me I'm part of the union
Till the day I die, till the day I die.
Cheers Phil, I am going to be humming that all evening now!

Slighty OT, I know it was used as the song of the trade unions in the 70s (before my time) but if you read some of the lyrics its not exactly pro union is it?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
One gathers from another PPlace that BA offered to open the books to any Union who wanted to do so, subject to signing a confidentiality agreement. Only one Union signed said agreement...
Says quite a bit - and a NDA would be perfectly acceptable given the commercially hot stuff they would be looking at.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In the event of strike-related interruptions, perhaps BA no longer can afford to be as generous with compensating (some) customers with miles as it was in prior years.

On a more serious note, BA doesn't seem to be in a position to survive so many disruptive strikes. The unionized workers ought to realize having a decent employer is better than having no employer, especially when the UK economy's struggles don't seem as close to over as elsewhere.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 27, 2009 at 2:26 pm
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Says quite a bit - and a NDA would be perfectly acceptable given the commercially hot stuff they would be looking at.
Absolutely, one of the requirements of all dispute resolution is reasonable behaviour from both sides. If a party goes into it not willing to talk or budge then the whole thing is pointless. If management asks for the union to sign an NDA that is reasonable behaviour.

IF ( we don't know everything that has been said) thid is the case then all BASSA / Unite is doing is speeding the process by which the UK jobless number increases
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:56 am

In their recent newsletter BASSA complain that BA wouldn't tell them their final position during negotiations. I'm not sure why they think they BA would tell them their bottom line at the opening of talks.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:22 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
BA are holding talks with unions representing check-in staff today.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091028...s-6323e80.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8329045.stm
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat; BA Blue
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
With thanks to The Strawbs (1973) let's all sing along together:

Oh you don't get me I'm part of the union
Till the day I die, till the day I die.
Or if you want to be a bit more obscure, this from Frank Zappa:

"Don't be no fool, don't be no dope
Common sense is your only hope
When the union tells you it's time to strike
Tell the m*therf*cker to take a hike

You know we gotta stick together
You know we gotta stick together"
Old Oct 28, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Railroad flyer
Slighty OT, I know it was used as the song of the trade unions in the 70s (before my time) but if you read some of the lyrics its not exactly pro union is it?
I think the irony of the lyrics would have been a bit beyond the grasp of the average 70s Shop Steward

Bear in mind, back in those days if enough jobs were at stake the government (a.k.a. taxpayers) would usually bail the company out anyway, so jobs weren't really on the line. Not a great disincentive to strike action....
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Railroad flyer
Absolutely, one of the requirements of all dispute resolution is reasonable behaviour from both sides. If a party goes into it not willing to talk or budge then the whole thing is pointless. If management asks for the union to sign an NDA that is reasonable behaviour.

IF ( we don't know everything that has been said) thid is the case then all BASSA / Unite is doing is speeding the process by which the UK jobless number increases
100% of nothing is.......nothing, if you are prepared to take your members on a frankly suicidal strike (and I'm not just talking about BA here) then if the company fails you get nothing.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
I do wonder how the BALPA members feel about all this. They will suffer also if a CC strike occurs.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Tupelo
I do wonder how the BALPA members feel about all this. They will suffer also if a CC strike occurs.
Well they will probably feel the same as BASSA did during the threat of a strike by BALPA over openskies. They were worried the new airline would gradually take over routes etc from mainline BA.

Sound familiar?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:35 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
When it comes to industrial action, be it a strike or a lock-out, we're allways told that none of the parties wishes to inconvenience the customer.

However, it is allways the customer who is first to suffer.

If this strike goes ahead, I, the passenger will be the first to suffer, so I really hope both parties will come to their sences.

I'd be prepared to go as far as offer to chair a meeting between BA management and the unions, if this could help to avert what may very well turn in to a disaster for BA as a company, its employees and passengers.

bjorns
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by bjorns
When it comes to industrial action, be it a strike or a lock-out, we're allways told that none of the parties wishes to inconvenience the customer.

However, it is allways the customer who is first to suffer.

If this strike goes ahead, I, the passenger will be the first to suffer, so I really hope both parties will come to their sences.

I'd be prepared to go as far as offer to chair a meeting between BA management and the unions, if this could help to avert what may very well turn in to a disaster for BA as a company, its employees and passengers.

bjorns
Me too, I've heard the sandwiches they serve up at Waterside are ace!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.