Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

"Sorry, we will be closed for 5 months when you return the car"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: too many

Hi folks,
Well, seems I have a tricky situation here:
Made a booking in September for a one-week car rental at Comiso airport,Italy, to be picked up on Friday.
Tried to change the booking times but get the message "sorry, the location will be closed"
A colleague of mine called the agency, and it seems they are closing down the location for the winter. The nearest agency I can give it back to is in the town of Ragusa, a 30 min drive away. No transportation options have been provided between the two agencies.
As we will be traveling with the infants and toddlers, do you think they would provide transportation options? If not, should I seek taxi reimbursment from Avis?
I tried going elsewhere, but it's almost double the price now with the other agencies.

Any thoughts on how to approach the matter?
Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you saying that Avis will not allow you to return the car on the original date to the original location? Note that many stations permit you to return the car when they're closed and just drop the keys in a secure box, but of course you don't get a receipt and their can be issues if they later claim that the car has been damaged.

If you're changing the reservation now to try to return the car on a later date, I don't think this should be Avis's problem. You need to figure out the most convenient location for you, either to change the airport or to return the car to a place where you can get to the airport easily using a train or whatever (at your own expense).
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:19 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If the location is closed but they took the reservation anyway, in theory, they should try to accommodate you in some way, but in practice, this may be difficult. I suggest you contact Avis Customer Service at 800-352-7900 and see what they are willing to do for you.

Keep in mind that the Comiso/Ragusa may be a local franchise so options may be limited and/or they may just push back that there isn't anything they're willing to do. Worth a call though, and you certainly have a good case for some sort of compensation, but getting it may be another matter.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys!
No, I had booked already, and noticed it just by trying to change the drop off time.
They're closed for the afternoon, I'll try to see if I have any other options before calling them directly. customer service in France was unable to do anything.
MSPeconomist, yes they took my reservation and will not allow to return the car at the original location...
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

further update:
-The UK customer service was totally clueless about what to do, so they called the Italian service center who was also clueless about why the station is closing...
As prices are skyrocketing, I think I only have two options:
1. Get to the counter and see if they provide me with a taxi between the pick up point and the airport (and if not, reimburse the taxi ride)
2. Cut short the rental on the last day they are closing and rent with Hertz, and claim the difference back to Avis
In both cases I think I'll need to have some written agreement from the station.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:54 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by ng1265
further update:
-The UK customer service was totally clueless about what to do, so they called the Italian service center who was also clueless about why the station is closing...
As prices are skyrocketing, I think I only have two options:
1. Get to the counter and see if they provide me with a taxi between the pick up point and the airport (and if not, reimburse the taxi ride)
2. Cut short the rental on the last day they are closing and rent with Hertz, and claim the difference back to Avis
In both cases I think I'll need to have some written agreement from the station.
I'd be shocked if you were able to get anything in writing. You could try to negotiate cab fare, but this is highly dependent on the local management. I know the situation sucks, but it's just one of those weird things that fall through the cracks. I know you expect Avis to do the right thing here, and I completely agree that they should given that it was obviously their mistake, but you need to be prepared for the possibility that they just tell you, sorry--you're out of luck.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll see how it goes and will report back here
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:07 am
Original Poster

and here I am.
The location for Comiso airport is actually off-site, the lady from Avis was there at the airport to greet us and drive us to the off site location, which is in a hotel nearby.
She indeed mentioned they were closing the station, but that I could drop the keys at the reception when returning back, which I did, and someone from the Ragusa office would come and collect it.
Arrived there on the Saturday, dropped the keys and got a hotel shuttle ride to the airport.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Delta GM, Avis P+
Glad you were able to resolve it without having to discuss with customer service! In my experience, Avis could care less what you think, they're an awful company to deal with.
diburning likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold,United, DL,Hertz 5 star, Avis Prefd
Originally Posted by phalkon30
Glad you were able to resolve it without having to discuss with customer service! In my experience, Avis could care less what you think, they're an awful company to deal with.
A couple of years ago I had an awful experience with Avis in France (they would not return a security deposit even though the car was returned with no issues). After weeks of trying to get through by telephone, email and postal mail I tried complaining by Twitter..and bingo! Response within 24 hours and the money reimbursed within 1 week. Social media definitely can have advantages!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Can't believe my first thread has made the TalkMail :-)

Further update to this, the invoice has arrived late, it shows the car checked back in at the Ragusa office, but without the one-way fee, so all clear. My account has also been updated with the rental details
Still waiting for avios to post though
seavisionburma likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.