Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: Smiles Gold, Amigo Gold, BW Diamond. Exp. MP Silver, HH Gold, IHG Plat., Choice Plat., Le Club Plat.
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
You don't think, anybody will send you any trick, if you just posted tricks uncoded in this forum? Even a blind person could reproduce the trick with your posted information. There are many bloggers here that are just waiting to put such deals on their blogs until the deal is dead! And maybe AV/Lifemiles is also scanning this thread... If so: ¡hola colegas de AV/LM!
No need to flame me. I´ve seen a lot of posts before mine using the region notations and other guidelines described on this thread wiki, and have read posts from other users mentioning airline code, or booking class, without any criticism.
I´ve read this thread from the beginning, and noticed that coding was used mostly for hide city/airport names.
Anyway, i have edited my message.
Sorry.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Executive Club Gold, Miles & Bonus Gold, Alaska Mileage Plan, Aeroplan, LifeMiles
You're asking for trouble. I wouldn't do that with my family, furthermore with an infant.

Originally Posted by blacklabel
I'm planning a trip to C2 with wife and kid next year, and found an interesting boomerang flying TP J, C4S-C2-C2-C4N.
The problem is that I'll have to call TP to add an infant to this reservation, and I'm afraid that questions would be asked, since the route is very unusual.
Has anyone did this before? Any problems on the fone or at the check-in counter? Should I ask to short check baggage?
Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Which as I've said before is a huge overstatement of the scope of this spreadsheet! The spreadsheet was actually set up to share details mainly of Virgin Australia status runs. At some point a LifeMiles tab was added and it contains only very rudimentary details of some miscoded cities, really nothing about creative routings (boomerangs) and is very rarely updated. There is more info posted openly in this thread than appears in the spreadsheet!
That spreadsheet hasn't been updated for ages. VA have repriced a lot of the favourable routes, and of course LM have fixed a lot of the opportunities.

It is not the resource that it used to be.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by JessicaTam
That spreadsheet hasn't been updated for ages. VA have repriced a lot of the favourable routes, and of course LM have fixed a lot of the opportunities.

It is not the resource that it used to be.
Too many people looking for the short cut on Easy Street. Too few people climbing the mountain to enjoy the views.

Especially Canadians and Australians are privileged under current structure being able to reach or leave their respective homelands from or to far away continents.
Us New Yorkers are not doing too badly either.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Nov 19, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Europeans can also climb the Mountain for a small (but easy) discount
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
The operating airline won't be able to touch the ticket and calling Avianca to add an infant will definitely raise some eyebrows.
I booked my infant via SAW route with his own seat. DO you think that is a risk. Booking his own J seat was cheaper than paying 10% on United.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: Smiles Gold, Amigo Gold, BW Diamond. Exp. MP Silver, HH Gold, IHG Plat., Choice Plat., Le Club Plat.
Originally Posted by Abhinavt
I booked my infant via SAW route with his own seat. DO you think that is a risk. Booking his own J seat was cheaper than paying 10% on United.
Yes, that's a good idea. I've checked the price on the airline site, and the difference would be very small. So, really makes sense to issue his own ticket.
Analyzing the routing more accurately, I realized that it's doable (like an user advised me by PM, sharing his own experience with an infant) , and one should not have problems, even to check luggage, since the flight arives at one airport, and the next departs from another in the same city, flying a different carrier.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by blacklabel
Yes, that's a good idea. I've checked the price on the airline site, and the difference would be very small. So, really makes sense to issue his own ticket.
Analyzing the routing more accurately, I realized that it's doable (like an user advised me by PM, sharing his own experience with an infant) , and one should not have problems, even to check luggage, since the flight arives at one airport, and the next departs from another in the same city, flying a different carrier.
Thanks, makes me feel much more comfortable
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I have done one in the past that had a 5hr layover with a infant. It wasn't a big boomerang so worked fine. In fact I have a couple more similar ones booked and don't see any issues. I wouldn't do the one that you are suggesting.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Avios - M&M - Senator - FLYBLU
Originally Posted by Temedar
Europeans can also climb the Mountain for a small (but easy) discount
I prefer the big discounts
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:13 am

Looking for a smart routing from ZRH/MUC - SIN/KUL/HKG/TYO. Any advise? Thankful for any hints via PM...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by LX80
Looking for a smart routing from ZRH/MUC - SIN/KUL/HKG/TYO. Any advise? Thankful for any hints via PM...
Registered in June 2011 and this is your first post... sorry, you aren't going to find much luck with your request.

You'll need to do your homework.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by LX80
Sent you a PM.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Sent you a PM.
Oh no.

You sent informational PM to someone who has been member for 3+years but who uses who his first posting to ask for a free handout ?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWR80

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Nov 21, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Oh no.

You sent informational PM to someone who has been member for 3+years but who uses who his first posting to ask for a free handout ?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWR80
Is there anything wrong with asking for a hint? Not everyone comes to these boards as pre-established as you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.