Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by blacklabel
I'm planning a trip to C2 with wife and kid next year, and found an interesting boomerang flying -- censored --.
The problem is that I'll have to call xx to add an infant to this reservation, and I'm afraid that questions would be asked, since the route is very unusual.
Has anyone did this before? Any problems on the fone or at the check-in counter? Should I ask to short check baggage?
Thanks.
This is very likely to create a lot of trouble. I fly a LOT and see families with infants all around. They usually have more than their share of worries already just getting everyone safely on and off board, not even talking about the cabin pressurizing and de-pressurizing phases of flight...
And you want to add the worries of a tricked ticket to that? Not even talking that you need real people to look at that ticket? I call this Chutzpah

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Nov 18, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
This is very likely to create a lot of trouble. I fly a LOT and see families with infants all around. They usually have more than their share of worries already just getting everyone safely on and off board, not even talking about the cabin pressurizing and de-pressurizing phases of flight...
And you want to add the worries of a tricked ticket to that? Not even talking that you need real people to look at that ticket? I call this Chutzpah
I concur. Sometimes even completely normal tickets go awry - I was flying an Aeroplan-issued LH F ticket at one point, and I showed up in the morning to KIX only to find that mine and my wife's tickets were fine, but the infant wasn't there for an unknown reason (despite the fact that we GOT to KIX somehow, right?). So... I'd advise avoiding tricked tickets.

Not to mention that you wouldn't be calling TP, but LM, because LM issued the ticket and they are the ones who have to charge you $X for adding an infant.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:53 am

The operating airline won't be able to touch the ticket and calling Avianca to add an infant will definitely raise some eyebrows.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mlqsko
The operating airline won't be able to touch the ticket and calling Avianca to add an infant will definitely raise some eyebrows.
I agree. Something as complicated as this will probably need a few sets of eyes to price it correctly.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 am

It amazes me how people travel with kids/infants on tricked tickets when there are so many thing that can go horribly wrong... It is just a bad idea, imho.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: Smiles Gold, Amigo Gold, BW Diamond. Exp. MP Silver, HH Gold, IHG Plat., Choice Plat., Le Club Plat.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give up the idea for now, and try to find a plan B to get to C2 in J for a reasonable price, cause 95k is too much for that ticket (the tricked one would be 40k).
I was able to book only one ticket in the last 50% off "promotional sale", that is already confirmed without issues. Unfortunately, was not able to book the ticket for C4 before LM fixed the bug.
If anybody know a remaining miscoded airport, even with a little discount, after the LM changes in C2 or C3, please send me a PM.
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
It amazes me how people travel with kids/infants on tricked tickets when there are so many thing that can go horribly wrong... It is just a bad idea, imho.
Absolutely agree. Madness.

However on a non tricked route the op has the right idea. An infant ticket at 10% of retail price can be booked and associated with the award ticket. That is done with the operating carrier
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Smiles Gold, Amigo Gold, BW Diamond. Exp. MP Silver, HH Gold, IHG Plat., Choice Plat., Le Club Plat.
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
Absolutely agree. Madness.

However on a non tricked route the op has the right idea. An infant ticket at 10% of retail price can be booked and associated with the award ticket. That is done with the operating carrier
I´m aware of that, And had no problems adding an infant to an award ticket before. Actually my concern is doing this with a tricked one, cause it will look really nonsense for operating carrier, that someone flies no stop 2 transatlantic sectors to reach a destination near the departure point.
By the way, even without a baby, should I have any problems at the check-in (questions asked, denied boarding)?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:12 am

I usually contact the op airline to add an infant to an award ticket, usually at the price of 10% of the full unrestricted fare.
What do you mean by operating airline not beeing able to touch the ticket? Is it an invalid/forbidden routing?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:56 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll give up the idea for now, and try to find a plan B to get to C2 in J for a reasonable price, cause 95k is too much for that ticket (the tricked one would be 40k).
If you are brave enough to use a tricked ticket with an infant, how about getting an adult miles ticket for the little one too? Nothing in the rules against that. 40K per person is still cheaper than 95K per adult.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2
If you are brave enough to use a tricked ticket with an infant, how about getting an adult miles ticket for the little one too? Nothing in the rules against that. 40K per person is still cheaper than 95K per adult.
That´s my point. Even if i buy a separate ticket to the kid or not. Is the op airline alowed to deny boarding, when the ticket does not involve any type of cabotage?
A simple route like FOR-LIS-BKK, throwing away last sector seens pretty easy to do.
I wonder what would happen with a strange routing like C4-C2-C2-C4. Any experience with Bommerangs like that?

Last edited by blacklabel; Nov 18, 2014 at 2:08 pm Reason: follow rules
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
That´s my point. Even if i buy a separate ticket to the kid or not. Is the op airline alowed to deny boarding, when the ticket does not involve any type of cabotage?
A simple route like a-b-c, throwing away last sector seens pretty easy to do.
I wonder what would happen with a strange routing like a-b-c-a (c-a flying Avianca). Any experience with Bommerangs like that?
That 's not brave, that's stupid. No matter how many tickets you have for your infant, even if all goes ok, you will age a few years due to the stress. Don't think about what the airlines could do to you, think about what your wife will do to you when something goes wrong.
If flying alone of course, a-b-c is much easier, as this looks like a normal ticket. The other one (which you can't book anymore, by the way) will probably need a lot more explanation power at check-in. I guess most agents in Brazil know where Bogota lies... The usual story is to say: I know it's stupid, but it's an award ticket, and they have this strange routes, but I like flying you know? --- Now imagine saying this with wife and infant.

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Nov 18, 2014 at 2:21 pm Reason: Even though it doesn't work anymore, I edited out the routing
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Well, they could maybe better get any stand-by tickets / buddy passes to fly with infants during peak summer time?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
If anybody know a remaining miscoded airport, even with a little discount, after the LM changes in C2 or C3, please send me a PM.
... and found an interesting boomerang flying {Airline}, {from detailled Region to Region to detailled Region} ...

You don't think, anybody will send you any trick, if you just posted tricks uncoded in this forum? Even a blind person could reproduce the trick with your posted information. There are many bloggers here that are just waiting to put such deals on their blogs until the deal is dead! And maybe AV/Lifemiles is also scanning this thread... If so: ¡hola colegas de AV/LM!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:13 pm

Here we go again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.