Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Africa to c2

A little hint required.

Any way of getting out of Africa (NBO) to C2? Ideally central but that can be sorted out. Any hints would be welcomed.

Cheers
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by dewby
A little hint required.

Any way of getting out of Africa (NBO) to C2? Ideally central but that can be sorted out. Any hints would be welcomed.

Cheers
Look at route maps - there you will get your + answer
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Look at route maps - there you will get your + answer
For J flights I have found at least 2* (very easy) options to save 12 k miles to central C2 (40 k oneway instead of 52 k). Is there still room for further improvement?

Edit: many, many more possible (to save only 12 k ...

Last edited by Epicura; Sep 11, 2014 at 11:14 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Epicura
For J flights I have found at least 2* (very easy) options to save 12 k miles to central C2 (40 k oneway instead of 52 k). Is there still room for further improvement?

Edit: many, many more possible...
Are you in a Q&A session with yourself?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Epicura
For J flights I have found at least 2* (very easy) options to save 12 k miles to central C2 (40 k oneway instead of 52 k). Is there still room for further improvement?Edit: many, many more possible...
Not so attractive. More imagination required.
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Very funny. Good humor over there ! !

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Sep 11, 2014 at 10:32 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Perhaps

Was a bit surprised about the initial question to get a hint because there are so many obvious ways to optimise, altough savings are not spectacular. That's why I asked if better savings were possible.

But many thx for your warm welcome and encouragement.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: QF, LM, USDM, AA
Yeah you can get it down quite a bit from that...
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by casanovawa
Yeah you can get it down quite a bit from that...
27,5 k.

10 minutes and not too much imagination

Do I still need more imagination?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Good to see a lot of the old methods still working. Thanks for the PMs and help.

Just need to find it on a few dates that I have.

Thanks all for top tips. Very much appreciated. Now research and find a flight which is half the fun.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
32 % additional savings with just a little more imagination. Not a bad return on your time and more specifically, a little help from your friends - quoting the Beatles
Impressed by your quote

Thx !
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:24 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Looks like it is necessary to point thread participants at Previous post #709, and step-up enforcement of Flyertalk published rules, via imposing temporary sanctions against those violating:
Personal attacks and bickering will not advance this thread, and will be edited out. If someone has an issue with a specific posting that can't be rationally responded to in a courteous manner, report it to the moderator.

Community standards on this board differ than other Flyertalk forums. Respect your fellow flyers, and recognize some "tricks" may have to go unsaid. There is always the PM system if a reader wants to know more, when a poster says something vague. This philosophy may run counter to other forums here on FT, but as alluded to, every board is a somewhat unique community.
Also, the principle - caveat emptor may apply on this board. Whether you are buying LifeMiles or buying into another poster's premise, the "seller" may have an agenda. Calling "BS" on a post can be appropriate, however the tone the counter-argument is presented is key. Write cogently, objectively, and even to some extent - pithy.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
I have really done the research myself (going through all pages here), but still couldn't find the miscoded in C3 as C1 (except the expired gummy).
The clue I found indicates that it is in Southeast Asia, and has direct flight to SIN.....searched overa SQ routes, but still fails..
Could anyone drop me a PM for this? Thank you so much.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by ssoonngg123
I have really done the research myself (going through all pages here), but still couldn't find the miscoded in C3 as C1 (except the expired gummy).
The clue I found indicates that it is in Southeast Asia, and has direct flight to SIN.....searched overa SQ routes, but still fails..
It is not in SE Asia and it does not have a direct flight from SIN.
Search C3 North.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by ssoonngg123
You may save your effort...the availability is extremely spotty for economy class, and if you want to book a business class award it's almost mission impossible.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
Originally Posted by lewende
You may save your effort...the availability is extremely spotty for economy class, and if you want to book a business class award it's almost mission impossible.
Thanks Le Ban. Then I fly JL F back home (trip report then LOL)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.