Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Bet he's talking about the value of his miles.... Skype hardly makes the cc work.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mlqsko
There is a service called Skype. Look it up.
What does that have to do with the op's inability to cancel his tickets?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
There is a service called Skype. Look it up.
Thanks but I probably started using Skype before you did
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Bet he's talking about the value of his miles.... Skype hardly makes the cc work.
Originally Posted by justforfun
What does that have to do with the op's inability to cancel his tickets?
Correct 60k = $900
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I have canceled dozens and never had an issue.

Originally Posted by indo79
Thanks but I probably started using Skype before you did
Apparently you are using it wrong
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:28 am

I have canceled dozens and never had an issue.
I have read posts that people cancelled successfully and you did too so obviously it is my bad luck when my citibank shows a pending charge of $50 from Avianca and they tell me my card is declined

Oh well
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:31 am

I have read posts that people cancelled successfully and you did too so obviously it is my bad luck when my citibank shows a pending charge of $50 from Avianca and they tell me my card is declined

Oh well
I have the same problem as you. They keep on saying card is declined, yet I can see the $50 pending charge, which then disappears. I tried every card I have, multiple agents, no luck. Thankfully I live near an Avianca office so just go there now to cancel.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:34 am

Oh well
Talk to your Citi fraud dept, advise them you are anticipating charges from Panama which you are aware of prior to calling. It is the fraud protection of your card making this issue. They just block offshore transactions as a protection.

I have an online business and processing payments with EU bank. I have customers like you complaining on a daily basis, but in fact - it is your card issuer causing the inconvenience for both you and the merchant. Avianca in this case.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:37 am

Talk to your Citi fraud dept, advise them you are anticipating charges from Panama which you are aware of prior to calling. It is the fraud protection of your card making this issue. They just block offshore transactions as a protection.

I have an online business and processing payments with EU bank. I have customers like you complaining on a daily basis, but in fact - it is your card issuer causing the inconvenience for both you and the merchant. Avianca in this case.
Not true. Not only have I contacted the fraud department, but I have done a 3-way call between Avianca and my credit card's fraud dept. No luck. The cc is not blocking the charge.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:39 am

Not true. Not only have I contacted the fraud department, but I have done a 3-way call between Avianca and my credit card's fraud dept. No luck. The cc is not blocking the charge.
All declined transactions come with a reason. Ask for the reason.

It is YOUR card issuer declining the transaction. It is beyond merchant (Avianca) control.

All it takes is one incompetent fraud department agent who doesn't know how to disable the protection to make you believe this.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:39 am

Ok thanks for the advice, will try that tomorrow, tired of calling them today 3 times. Even though I live in Indonesia now and can still use my us based citibank and Avianca shows as pending, not "call fraud department"
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:46 am

All declined transactions come with a reason. Ask for the reason.

It is YOUR card issuer declining the transaction. It is beyond merchant (Avianca) control.

All it takes is one incompetent fraud department agent who doesn't know how to disable the protection to make you believe this.
You're really making lots of false assumptions today.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:52 am

You're really making lots of false assumptions today.
I am trying to help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21538661-post5.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...l#post22957227

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...l#post23465848
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: SEN
Just called the US callcenter to change the date of a ticket booked at the old rates (thats why I want to chance and not cancel and book a new one).

Unfortunately the agent I got today could see no availability even though I checked during the call and saw the flight on the desired date showing up. Then the agent recommended to chance the ticket online

Did anyone else experience a mysterious lack of availability when trying to change tickets booked at the old rates or is this just a typical case for HUCA?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 pm

Anyone ??

Hi,

Newbie here -
Does anyone out there have experience in cancelling one ticket, as in one of us cant go at that particular time? They were booked together, so I am assuming not, but perhaps someone would be good enough to advise if its at all possible and if so how?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.