Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:37 pm

It really depends on where you call
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:40 pm
GmK

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by mlqsko
It really depends on where you call
The main number re-routes you depending on the time of day anyhow (I started asking which call center I have reached), so it's not dependent on which you reach. The El Savador and the US center have these troubles, if you can give me another number with english agents I can try directly, let me know ^
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Called this afternoon to cancel a booking. First 2 attempts were unsuccessful. The agent told me he would ask his supervisor, and eventually got help from someone who "adjusted the system". Instead of the usual automated one, I had to give the agent my visa card number, expiration and last 3 digits. After a few minutes, I was informed that the cancellation went thru. Miles should be back in 1-2 days and taxes in 1-3 months plus 3% charge for the transaction. Call duration:47 mins.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I can confirm that this is in fact true. Recently instead of paying for a date change I just left the ticket and called up a few months later gave the eticket number and reissued for a new date.

I have made around 10 cancellations in the last year and almost always they have forgotten to cancel the ticket which is actually quite bad as they then block up FF seats that someone else could have taken. They do get around to it later though.
I need to cancel 1 of 3 tickets on the same PNR. If I called to cancel, I'm afraid they may accidently cancel all 3 tickets. Is it possible to leave one ticket un-use and be able to cancel after the trip?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by imm2b
I need to cancel 1 of 3 tickets on the same PNR. If I called to cancel, I'm afraid they may accidently cancel all 3 tickets. Is it possible to leave one ticket un-use and be able to cancel after the trip?
Someone attempted this recently and got all tix on same PNR canceled by the agent. I would leave it as NOSHOW.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:38 pm

if i were to call to cancel a ticket how long does it take for the miles to show back up in the account? I see posts saying couple days while the wiki says instant.
i need to rebook ticket after cancellation
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kaiotes
if i were to call to cancel a ticket how long does it take for the miles to show back up in the account? I see posts saying couple days while the wiki says instant.
i need to rebook ticket after cancellation
In my experience if you do it on a working day then its instant and if you do it on a weekend then it can take days. Did 4 cancellations yesterday the guy was very good only had to give my CC billing address once but had to go through the IVR CC system 4 times. Still for 4 different tickets it took 45 mins ^

Called up on Sunday and it took 1hr and she hadn't even done one so hung up.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Revoking a cancellation

Can you revoke a cancellation if the actual award ticket has not been cancelled yet? I called in to cancel a booking, paid the $50 via phone, but then once I hung up I realized I did not plan out alternate flights carefully enough.

I called within 10 minutes to see if they can revoke. Spent 1 hour while the CSR tried working with the "back office". She finally came back and said they could not recover the booking even though the ticket is still active.

Checkmytrip still has the ticket number and so does SQ (the operating carrier). Do I stand a chance of getting this reservation reinstated?

Last edited by kaushik123; Jul 12, 2014 at 12:42 am
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by kaushik123
Can you revoke a cancellation if the actual award ticket has not been cancelled yet? I called in to cancel a booking, paid the $50 via phone, but then once I hung up I realized I did not plan out alternate flights carefully enough.

I called within 10 minutes to see if they can revoke. Spent 1 hour while the CSR tried working with the "back office". She finally came back and said they could not recover the booking even though the ticket is still active.

Checkmytrip still has the ticket number and so does SQ (the operating carrier). Do I stand a chance of getting this reservation reinstated?
I would think that once the agent had processed the cancellation that it be unrecoverable. It may just be that the other sites have yet to be updated that the trip has been cancelled.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JessicaTam
It may just be that the other sites have yet to be updated that the trip has been cancelled.
It's instant.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by onlysuites
It's instant.
Then I have no answer. *shrug*
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:51 am

i booked a ticket last night at around 8pm PT (7/17). i am trying to cancel my ticket right now but am getting some bs about how i had to cancel by midnight last night to avoid any fees.
how do i go about cancelling my ticket without getting charged? I found a better flight thus need to cancel my ticket and need to rebook. i'm tempted to just pay 150 and do a charge back.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:57 am

No need to pay $150 whatever you decide.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:59 am

the most funny thing on all my cancealed tickets is that when you check them on checkmytrip they seem to be all confirmed and ready to go...
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:04 am

Just another data point:

- Called Friday morning during working hours.
- Cancellation took 22 minutes.
- I used the standard "Booking" option (#1) as opposed to Lifemiles as that option kept having technical issues and hanging up on me!
- Miles back in account instantly
- If you are canceling a ticket booked out of another person's account you may want to use Skype. I had used a cell number associated with another account and the agent seemed to go the extra mile to verify identity, and this seemed to add 3-4 minutes on hold during the conversation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.