Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: *G at A3,TK;M&M,LM; IHG RA, AB Plat.
Wait some days, maybe you will get a call (I did) or an email.

The LM system seems to be down at least 50% of the day (since weeks), or some parts of the system (usually their payment system).
Try to avoid any cancellation or try to have luck
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:33 am

Update:

Called today regarding my "no show". Got a decent english speaker. Took 17 minutes to complete everything and miles were posted back to my account instantly.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:13 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

I had a very very very hard time cancelling and then rebooking a LifeMiles ticket over the past several weeks. I think I had exceptionally bad timing as nearly every "system" that needed to work for this to happen was broken...on top of getting disconnected randomly many times.

Ultimately the call center was useless for me and I moved to fixing the whole thing via the support at lifemiles.com email address. It was a slow process as they would only address about one issue every 2-3 days, but the entire transaction did eventually get completed and they did eventually call me every time they said they would.

The process was way more complex than it needed to be and I don't want to have to repeat that anytime soon, but the support email address was ultimately what worked in the end.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:05 pm

Funny how it works as I had a completely opposite experience yesterday.
Unfortunately I had to cancel 2 bookings. Emailed the support and they called me.
Left me a message as I couldn't talk.

I called back and cancelled my 1st booking over the phone with Columbia,
absolutely no issues and the miles posted back instantly.
The super nice lady told me I can't cancel another one right away
(no more than two cancelations - as for 2 tickets, one booking).

I decided to call later. In the meantime a nice guy from Florida called me
again and took care of it. I didn't need to go through their automatic
credit card system this time, just gave him my card number and that's it.

Later yesterday I got the confirmation email and the miles posted.

So overall a really great experience.

To compare I cancelled one AA award 4 days ago and still waiting
for my miles to post back in my account. Contacted AA twitter group
and they asked me to be "patient"...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:49 pm

Thumbs up

A buddy called last Wednesday to cancel an award ticket. Spoke to a very nice English-fluent agent during Central America afternoon (assuming that's where she was). Total time on the phone: 24 minutes. Miles were back in his account immediately. Taxes posted back to his credit card yesterday (4 business days).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: SEN
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
To compare I cancelled one AA award 4 days ago and still waiting
for my miles to post back in my account. Contacted AA twitter group
and they asked me to be "patient"...
I recently cancelled a Miles&More (LH) award and was told it could take between 3 or 4 weeks until I get anything back... Manual processing
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
Need urgent advice on cancelling non-refundable....

Hi Experts,
I booked a Lifemiles ticket (M&C) for a trip JFK-EZE-JFK wholly on Avianca flights. When I tried to cancel that ticket yesterday, I was told it is non-cancellable, but I could change the flights ($150). I realized I have picked the "Seats on Sale" for one of the flights which lists 'Refundable - No'.

Anyone know how to cancel this ticket?
Has anyone try to change this ticket to a different category that will make it cancel able?

Any help in this matter will be highly appreciated.
Old May 5, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
Cancellation

It took me 1.5 Hrs to cancel one PNR with my 3 family members, and this was in spanish .. . I had to try 3 times because the system would not pick up my callcenter PIN. I had to set it and reset it multiple times. And it finally worked with.....the old number hahaha.Then the credit card details thru a virtual system: inputing 3times all the details once for each traveller because refunds are processed individually.... You have to set your expectations really low . The good thing is that the points posted immediately and I have to wait for the taxes a few more days. Oh well, there are so many advantages in the program that i just forgive the smart callcenter..
Old May 12, 2014, 2:40 pm
KRS

I had an itinerary that became invalid due to a schedule change; do they usually waive the cancellation fee in those circumstances?

The 2nd agent I got on the phone who processed the cancellation was adamant I needed to pay the USD50/ticket as it was not Avianca/Lifemiles fault
(btw it was a LH schedule change)
Old May 16, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KRS
I had an itinerary that became invalid due to a schedule change; do they usually waive the cancellation fee in those circumstances?

The 2nd agent I got on the phone who processed the cancellation was adamant I needed to pay the USD50/ticket as it was not Avianca/Lifemiles fault
(btw it was a LH schedule change)
How did you find out about the schedule change?
Old May 17, 2014, 12:58 am
KRS

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
How did you find out about the schedule change?
On my own through checkmytrip (no notification)
Old May 17, 2014, 1:30 am

LM are really bad at notifying of schedule changes, so keep check your itineraries regularly. I had ADD-SEZ flight cancelled due to ET deciding to cancel the route. Nobody ever told me. Thank god for FT!
Old May 17, 2014, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I have had a schedule change which put my connection at only 30 minutes and the MCT is 45mins. LM is saying UA needs to change the flights and they will reissue but UA says they can't touch a LM ticket.

Anyone know who is right?
Old May 17, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
If it's before departure of the first flight of the ticket (ca. up to 48hrs), the issuing airline is responsable. After the transporting carrier...
Old May 17, 2014, 5:41 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I have had a schedule change which put my connection at only 30 minutes and the MCT is 45mins. LM is saying UA needs to change the flights and they will reissue but UA says they can't touch a LM ticket.

Anyone know who is right?
Assuming this is +48 hours then the process is a little lengthy but quite painless.

UA cancelled one of my flights and also gave me a misfit connection.

1) Call UA and give them your UA PNR, they will run through options and let you pick one that appeals. If it is +48 hrs and UA says it is not their problem then call back, you got a hooky agent.
2) I have no idea what UA does to "authorise" your new itinerary but it seemed to take forever when I did it (1 hour on the phone)
3) Call LM and tell them that UA has changed your itinerary and they need to reissue your ticket. When I called, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about and said "sorry, there is no award availability on those flights"
4) Be persistent and you will eventually get through to the ticket re-issuing guy that knows exactly what you are talking about and can see the authorised itinerary change on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.