Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I have had a schedule change which put my connection at only 30 minutes and the MCT is 45mins. LM is saying UA needs to change the flights and they will reissue but UA says they can't touch a LM ticket.

Anyone know who is right?
LM! Same issue with my ET ADD-SEZ flight. I was booked on Mar 5, they decided to terminate the route on Mar 3. Called LM, they said ET need to rebook me on Mar 2 flight (I wanted this) and then call them back to reissue tickets.

It was a little nightmare until I found an ET agent who knew what to do. Once I did, ET rebooked me on the earlier flight, called LM and tix were reissued.

Definitely push UA.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Assuming this is +48 hours then the process is a little lengthy but quite painless.

UA cancelled one of my flights and also gave me a misfit connection.

1) Call UA and give them your UA PNR, they will run through options and let you pick one that appeals. If it is +48 hrs and UA says it is not their problem then call back, you got a hooky agent.
2) I have no idea what UA does to "authorise" your new itinerary but it seemed to take forever when I did it (1 hour on the phone)
3) Call LM and tell them that UA has changed your itinerary and they need to reissue your ticket. When I called, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about and said "sorry, there is no award availability on those flights"
4) Be persistent and you will eventually get through to the ticket re-issuing guy that knows exactly what you are talking about and can see the authorised itinerary change on UA.
The earlier flight is too early for me as I finish my meeting post lunch. Would you say trying/pushing for a different date later on in the year might be feasible?
Old May 18, 2014, 4:51 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
The earlier flight is too early for me as I finish my meeting post lunch. Would you say trying/pushing for a different date later on in the year might be feasible?
I can only tell you my experience. I noticed by chance that my flight from MIA to IAD had changed and was leaving after my onward connection from IAD.

I called in and was offered a few options, such as via ORD on a regional jet and via EWR on a mainline leaving at 6am.

6am is a tough call for me, especially as I had planned on having a night out with a friend in Miami. Giving up on the "night out" idea I asked them if I could fly up to IAD or DCA the previous evening and then pick up my original connection from IAD the following day. They told me no, but YMMV.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I can only tell you my experience. I noticed by chance that my flight from MIA to IAD had changed and was leaving after my onward connection from IAD.

I called in and was offered a few options, such as via ORD on a regional jet and via EWR on a mainline leaving at 6am.

6am is a tough call for me, especially as I had planned on having a night out with a friend in Miami. Giving up on the "night out" idea I asked them if I could fly up to IAD or DCA the previous evening and then pick up my original connection from IAD the following day. They told me no, but YMMV.
Cool. Will update what happens with mine. Thanks
Old May 18, 2014, 5:10 pm

Cool. Will update what happens with mine. Thanks
Maybe the 30 min MCT is immaterial on UA I had 5 segments, the first one left on time, the final one was delayed 1 hour and the other 3 were delayed +2 hours, 2 of which had an equipment change, one of which had been struck by lightning on the inbound.

It seemed at least to me that timetables are a nebulous concept.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Maybe the 30 min MCT is immaterial on UA I had 5 segments, the first one left on time, the final one was delayed 1 hour and the other 3 were delayed +2 hours, 2 of which had an equipment change, one of which had been struck by lightning on the inbound.

It seemed at least to me that timetables are a nebulous concept.
I'm a UA 1K. IME, UAX is only on time when I need them to be late. UA mainline is much more reliable, but getting harder and harder to find on many routes. If you had that kind of luck on all mainline flights, then you had some very bad luck in comparison to my frequent UA domestic experience.

On another UAX note, they are very bad about reporting to be on time when they are not. Just last Sunday, as one of many examples, I ran to get to the gate at DFW - certain that I was going to miss the flight - only to find that the aircraft had not arrived yet. UA's app was showing on time, and my automatic messaging was sending me "on time" texts.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:45 pm

All mainline

MIA EWR on time
EWR NRT de-iced the plane twice, changed gates and equipment. This is the plane that had been struck by lightning on the inbound and they had to spool up an engine to test it. >2hour delay
NRT LAX Late arrival from DEN. Could have been weather, was a very lumpy flight back >2 hour delay
LAX IAH Fuel pump was pumping all the fuel into one wing and could not be overridden. Equipment change. >2 hour delay
IAH MIA Delayed because they were an FA short for the F cabin. F cabin FA told me later that he was the replacement and the originally scheduled FA was delayed inbound.

Ultimately I got where I was going and didn't miss anything important. Just commenting that the timetables weren't really adhered to.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: LH FTL, PC Plat,Hilton Gold
Had to cancel one reservation ( 3 pax).

3 attempts

First one disconnected after 8 minutes, second - information that there is a problem with the system after 12 minutes, and finally today after 35 minutes - success. Miles already on my account, 3 x 50 usd cc charged, taxes refund in 20 business days.

Very similar situation in Miles and More takes 10 minutes.

Still, Lifemiles is my favourite one
Old May 19, 2014, 1:18 pm

I'd volunteer to write dynredcancel.aspx gratis.
Old May 19, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by ulus
Had to cancel one reservation ( 3 pax).

3 attempts

First one disconnected after 8 minutes, second - information that there is a problem with the system after 12 minutes, and finally today after 35 minutes - success. Miles already on my account, 3 x 50 usd cc charged, taxes refund in 20 business days.

Very similar situation in Miles and More takes 10 minutes.

Still, Lifemiles is my favourite one
Did you call the US toll free?
Old May 20, 2014, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Did you call the US toll free?
yes 1 800 2842622
Old May 20, 2014, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by ulus
yes 1 800 2842622
They redirect that number somewhere. If you call Columbia or San Salvador directly, chances of dropped call are almost none. Plus, the agents are much more competent. Try it next time, although you will have to pay a few $ for Skype.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
They redirect that number somewhere. If you call Columbia or San Salvador directly, chances of dropped call are almost none. Plus, the agents are much more competent. Try it next time, although you will have to pay a few $ for Skype.
Thanks for the advice.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
From reading the last few pages I'm a little bit confused. Is it correct that if there's a change that needs to be made (either due to schedule changes or on my own) to an itinerary, I need to contact the airline I'm flying instead of LM? For example, I have a LM award for an ANA flight - if I want to make a change, do I go to ANA reservations and then back to LM?

P.S. As an aside, I think ANA releases award space about as often as it snows down here in Houston
Old May 29, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Rusdude
From reading the last few pages I'm a little bit confused. Is it correct that if there's a change that needs to be made (either due to schedule changes or on my own) to an itinerary, I need to contact the airline I'm flying instead of LM? For example, I have a LM award for an ANA flight - if I want to make a change, do I go to ANA reservations and then back to LM?

P.S. As an aside, I think ANA releases award space about as often as it snows down here in Houston
Up until travel commences you contact LM...the operating carrier will not touch your AV (or TACA) issued ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.