Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Could it be that UA has stopped accepting LM award tickets (expecting that LM will not be able to pay for such tickets issued)?
I successfully booked and ticketed a lifemiles flight on UA metal 4 days ago (july 30th), so unless this is a change in the last 3 days that's not true. My flight still shows ticketed fwiw
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:13 pm

Have there been any impacts to Lufthansa tickets booked using LifeMiles? I am about to book a couple of tickets for travel in 3 weeks.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:10 pm

As a data point, my lifemiles award booked on ANA for a flight in Feb 2021 still shows ok. Hope it stays that way
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
My upcoming itinerary on AC metal was cancelled. When I called customer service, man in broken English tried saying the reservation was "affected by coronavirus" () although the flight was never removed from AC's schedule and still has available seats. He transferred me to the "El Cambio Operacionales", and the lady there spoke better English and rebooked my original flights under a new PNR and ticket number. Appears to be a widespread issue. Everyone should monitor their PNRs several times a day so they don't lose their award seats! Could it be intentional or a system glitch? Seems like they do whatever they want, I doubt there's any protection booking through a Colombian airline
cuthroat likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: banned from AA
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
My upcoming itinerary on AC metal was cancelled. When I called customer service, man in broken English tried saying the reservation was "affected by coronavirus" () although the flight was never removed from AC's schedule and still has available seats. He transferred me to the "El Cambio Operacionales", and the lady there spoke better English and rebooked my original flights under a new PNR and ticket number. Appears to be a widespread issue. Everyone should monitor their PNRs several times a day so they don't lose their award seats! Could it be intentional or a system glitch? Seems like they do whatever they want, I doubt there's any protection booking through a Colombian airline
good to know immediate rebooking is possible. Which number had you called -- their US or Canadian customer service?

Last edited by veganryan; Aug 3, 2020 at 3:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by veganryan
good to know immediate rebooking is possible. Which number had you called -- their US or Canadian customer service?
Immediate rebooking is only possible if there is still award space, but if there isn't, then Lifemiles staff will just tell you they will open a ticket to get your miles redeposited
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I called the 1-800-284-2622 number. In my case the award inventory was still available on my flights. Not sure if rebooking would've been possible if the inventory was gone. I wonder if this is a sign that they are getting closer to shutting down the airline and/or program.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I don’t see how rebooking would have been ossicle if the award space had gone It would generally require the operating airline to convert revenue seats to award inventory, and then have LM ticket. That’s not common except in the event of a cancellation by the operating airline where they proactively protect you on another flight.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
Not sure if rebooking would've been possible if the inventory was gone.
I'm certain that it wouldn't be possible. LM can't rebook you if no award seats are available.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
My United flight (booked on LifeMiles) from Brazil to USA in Nov 2020 still shows on both LifeMiles and United websites.
You may have to cancel this ticket for other reasons. Expecting to be able to travel from Brazil to USA by Nov is very optimistic IMO.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: Lifemiles, Marriott Titanium,
Anybody got their taxes back yet?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:56 am

I have a flight booked on AC in June that I booked using LifeMiles from PHX-YVR-LON. I just checked it on Avianca’s website and it shows the leg from YVR-LON as “cancelled.” When I check on AC.com it shows the flight as “changed.” It looks as though AC changed the flight number on the YVR-LON leg but everything else is the same — schedule, equipment, etc.

I wonder if flight number changes are showing as weird on LifeMiles’ end?

There does not appear to be any open partner availability for the flight at this time so if my ticket is no good I don’t think a rebook is currently possible. No idea if I still have a good ticket or not but I guess I need to call AC. Truth is given these reports my confidence is pretty low with lifemiles right now and I would probably take the free redeposit at this point. Taxes and charges were only $62 on two tickets so waiting 5 months is not a huge deal.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Andy76
Anybody got their taxes back yet?
Lifemiles hasn't issued any refunds since April. They are just taking advantage of Covid19 to hide their serious financial issues.

If you call Lifemiles, even the automated system tells you that they are expecting refunds to take 5 months.

Last edited by fly747first; Aug 4, 2020 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:41 pm

I called the lifemiles support number to cancel my award booking ticket last week and was told the miles redeposit would take up to 15 business days. Has anyone cancelled bookings recently? Would it really take that long to get the miles refunded? Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by scyn1867
I called the lifemiles support number to cancel my award booking ticket last week and was told the miles redeposit would take up to 15 business days. Has anyone cancelled bookings recently? Would it really take that long to get the miles refunded? Thanks
I just sent email and miles are back within a few hours after email confirmation.

$25 per person per ticket will not be refunded, though. The rest of tax, seems no one has received it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.