Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
My cancellation experiences have mostly been fine, and don't forget you can cancel even AFTER the flight had departed. Which other airline would allow you this???
A lot of awards allow this.... and it's a much needed feature because when cancelling shortly before departure you might run into an agent that has no clue :-).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by RTW1
A lot of awards allow this.... and it's a much needed feature because when cancelling shortly before departure you might run into an agent that has no clue :-).
Apparently you can cancel the Lifemiles redemption ticket long after the flight. Not sure if many other airlines allow this.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Apparently you can cancel the Lifemiles redemption ticket long after the flight. Not sure if many other airlines allow this.
Other award programs do allow you to cancel after the flight has departed, as RTW1 alluded to. I've done it with non-Lifemiles award tickets.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:11 pm

Do you know if we change destinations, if we booked the ticket (BOD-IST-BKK-SIN) when it was 65k miles, I want to change to BOD/CDG-IST-KUL, the cost is now 78k miles am I able to only pay the $150USD ticket each?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by vitagen
Do you know if we change destinations, if we booked the ticket (BOD-IST-BKK-SIN) when it was 65k miles, I want to change to BOD/CDG-IST-KUL, the cost is now 78k miles am I able to only pay the $150USD ticket each?
Would be interesting to find out the answer to this. I wonder if I could change from SAW to IST without paying the difference
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Cancelled a ticket, they kept getting messages back that my card was being declined, I could see the charges coming on the card. Finally the rep and the billing department figured out what was going on (they messed up my address). 90 minute call.

Mental note- never cancel an AV award ticket under time pressure (fortunately there wasn't for this one, flight was tomorrow).
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Cancelled a ticket, they kept getting messages back that my card was being declined, I could see the charges coming on the card. Finally the rep and the billing department figured out what was going on (they messed up my address). 90 minute call.

Mental note- never cancel an AV award ticket under time pressure (fortunately there wasn't for this one, flight was tomorrow).
Didn't you know you can noshow and cancel long past departure? Why the pressure
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Didn't you know you can noshow and cancel long past departure? Why the pressure
Because I don't trust airlines to keep the ticket open.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Kicking off the cancellation process now (17:54 Australian time) with great trepidation.

Call 1: Called San Salvador number. Very helpful English speaking gentleman. Found booking. Entered PIN. All good. Confirmed $50 fee per pax. Then he "had trouble with the system" and they were "working on it" at 3:54 am local time?!?!?.. doubt it... and that I should call back in "around 4 hours".

I'll let you know about Call 2.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Kicking off the cancellation process now (17:54 Australian time) with great trepidation.

Call 1: Called San Salvador number. Very helpful English speaking gentleman. Found booking. Entered PIN. All good. Confirmed $50 fee per pax. Then he "had trouble with the system" and they were "working on it" at 3:54 am local time?!?!?.. doubt it... and that I should call back in "around 4 hours".

I'll let you know about Call 2.
In these cases you can ask them to cancel the ticket and call back later to make the payment.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Cancelled 2 tickets in 25 minutes

I can now also confirm that it IS possible to cancel past tickets. This was my situation:
- booked SFO-PVR for Aug 6th
- a day before, IAH-PVR opened up and I booked that
- tried cancelling the SFO tickets but the system was down
- 3 separate agents said that you can cancel a ticket up to 1 YEAR of booking

Managed to cancel just now, 4 months after making the booking and already see the 60.000 miles in my account.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by zagy
Cancelled 2 tickets in 25 minutes

I can now also confirm that it IS possible to cancel past tickets. This was my situation:
- booked SFO-PVR for Aug 6th
- a day before, IAH-PVR opened up and I booked that
- tried cancelling the SFO tickets but the system was down
- 3 separate agents said that you can cancel a ticket up to 1 YEAR of booking

Managed to cancel just now, 4 months after making the booking and already see the 60.000 miles in my account.
This is actually an incredible feature. Like a $50 insurance policy.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by erik123
$75, actually: you also lose the $25 booking fee. Still excellent.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: TK Elite
Not exactly a cancellation but here what happened to me:
- Bought 2,000 miles for a friend in August, the transaction failed twice before working the third time
- I was debited 3 times though both in cash and miles.
- I emailed LM right away they responded quickly and said they were investigating.
- 2 weeks later they refunded the miles and said I'd get the money back within 20 business days.
- Early October I had received nothing so contacted them, they said there was a problem with my claim and it was being investigated.
- Every-time I emailed them they gave me the same old lame excuse that my claim was being escalated.
- Last week I gave them an ultimatum to refund me before escalating the request myself
- For the first time they no longer responded, but low and behold, this morning the refund finally came through!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by erik123
Originally Posted by Maayan
$75, actually: you also lose the $25 booking fee. Still excellent.
And potentially hours on the phone with them but yes... a cool feature ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.