Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
UPDATE: They did try again the next day and the charge went through and my miles were refunded. I'll look out for the refund of taxes but won't worry about it since it was $23.
They come through automatically.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by onlysuites
They come through automatically.
Indeed! It took a few days longer but the taxes have been refunded. I was slightly concerned because I didn't know how that would be handled since I used a virtual account number for the booking but everything worked out.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Data Point.

Not a cancellation, but a change of one flight on a 3 flight PNR.

Changed a J flight BKK-MEL on TG to 3 days earlier than the original booking.

On the phone to the San Salvador number at 11:00 pm Melbourne time. 7 am San Salvador time.

Took 20 minutes and all was confirmed and paid (USD $300 for 2 pax - CC info entered via keypad) with no stress or issues.

Update itinerary and documentation in my email within 5 minutes.

Selected seats on the SQ mobile app.

Checked on Amadeus and all bookings/seat selections updated.

No complaints from me. Very smooth.

Interestingly I was never asked for a PIN or to confirm DOB or any other ID. Just PNR and Last Name of both pax.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:10 pm

Well, I'll take back what I said about smooth.

This morning I re-checked my flights and 2 of the 3 legs had disappeared.
I called back and was told they would be re-instated once the change fee had been processed.

I see they are back on the PNR now but one of them is standby and the other 2 are confirmed (able to select seats etc)..

The standby (or subload) status is unsettling. I'm hoping that gets cleared up soon otherwise another call...
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: SQ Gold, VA Gold, Marritt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Just want to add another data point on cancellation after flight departure.

With all my problems getting through I fell into the 48 hour period prior to departure and was told I would have to wait until 24 hours after departure to cancel. So that T-48 to T+24 window when it's not possible to cancel has been reconfirmed.

Eventually I cancelled 5 days after booked departure. I had taken the trouble to have myself offloaded from the flight. (I was automatically checked in by LX.) Not sure if that mattered at all.

Worth noting that the agent required the ticket numbers to do the cancellation as he can't raise the booking using the booking reference number once the flight date has passed. So have them to hand to speed up the process.
Wondering if there's any recent data on cancelling a ticket after the travel date?

Have YYZ-LAX-MEL that I've just found I don't need for tomorrow (but will use if I can't cancel). I read that that if the ticket is 'open' they can cancel, but not sure what that means?

Anyway I can ensure the ticket remains open to cancel it?

Thanks,

Luis
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by luist
Wondering if there's any recent data on cancelling a ticket after the travel date?

Have YYZ-LAX-MEL that I've just found I don't need for tomorrow (but will use if I can't cancel). I read that that if the ticket is 'open' they can cancel, but not sure what that means?

Anyway I can ensure the ticket remains open to cancel it?

Thanks,

Luis
AFAIK, an "open" ticket with LifeMiles just means that it wasn't flown. I was able to successfully cancel a no show, "open" ticket two weeks ago without any problems.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Are you guys sure about Lifemiles tickets starting in the U.S. are not refundable within 24 hours?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
Are you guys sure about Lifemiles tickets starting in the U.S. are not refundable within 24 hours?
They are. For a fee of $50.- per ticket. LM is no US company!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
Tickets are always refundable if they are wholy unused. For 50USD/person.
If you are refering to 24hour free cancel & refund, why would a Colombian company do that?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: Avianca Liifemiles Gold, SPG Gold, LanPass Premium Silver, IHG Gold, Amex Platinum
Smile Avianca/Lifemiles will not refund Ecuador's "International Toursim Fee" of USD 50

Hi,

First post, so please be kind.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience getting all taxes refunded from a cancelled flight out of Ecuador. Recently Ecuador started charging a USD 50 tax for international tickets originating out of Ecuador.

I had booked a GYE-SAL-IAH-YEG award booking on Lifemiles on June 23 which I had to cancel due to a family emergency. Total taxes were USD 109.83 (including that ludicrous USD 50 tax).

Avianca cancelled the ticket and refunded taxes totalling USD 59.83. I emailed them and was instructed to wait for a month for the remaining USD 50 credit. After a month, I write again, and now they state that the USD 50 tax is actually non-refundable, so that's why I got the partial refund.

I have contacted the Dirección General de Aviación Civil in Ecuador for confirmation of this policy, but as always, responses are taking forever and misinformation abounds. I have not heard of a non-refundable tax on air tickets before...

So... Has anyone been in a similar situation here? Did you get all taxes refunded?

Lifemiles was my primary program, but I am quickly moving away from them--terrible customer service plagued with misinformation.

Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by filean
Hi,

First post, so please be kind.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience getting all taxes refunded from a cancelled flight out of Ecuador. Recently Ecuador started charging a USD 50 tax for international tickets originating out of Ecuador.

I had booked a GYE-SAL-IAH-YEG award booking on Lifemiles on June 23 which I had to cancel due to a family emergency. Total taxes were USD 109.83 (including that ludicrous USD 50 tax).

Avianca cancelled the ticket and refunded taxes totalling USD 59.83. I emailed them and was instructed to wait for a month for the remaining USD 50 credit. After a month, I write again, and now they state that the USD 50 tax is actually non-refundable, so that's why I got the partial refund.

I have contacted the Dirección General de Aviación Civil in Ecuador for confirmation of this policy, but as always, responses are taking forever and misinformation abounds. I have not heard of a non-refundable tax on air tickets before...

So... Has anyone been in a similar situation here? Did you get all taxes refunded?

Lifemiles was my primary program, but I am quickly moving away from them--terrible customer service plagued with misinformation.

Thanks!
50 bucks?? Stop losing sleep over such a small amount. Considering you had a family emergency and could cancel your ticket with (partial) refund for only 125 usd (25+50+50), just consider it emergency fees, and move on! Unless the value of your time and convenience to change of plans to handle that emergency is less than 50 dollars?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: Avianca Liifemiles Gold, SPG Gold, LanPass Premium Silver, IHG Gold, Amex Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
50 bucks?? Stop losing sleep over such a small amount. Considering you had a family emergency and could cancel your ticket with (partial) refund for only 125 usd (25+50+50), just consider it emergency fees, and move on! Unless the value of your time and convenience to change of plans to handle that emergency is less than 50 dollars?
I'm not a fan of letting airlines letting get away with whatever they please. However, in this case it appears they are right! 50 USD is non-refundable according to local Aviation office. Terrible policy.

Oh well...
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Tried calling to cancel my ticket and they are saying the miles are non-refundable because I book saver level award.

Can anyone confirm this to be accurate?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
No that's rubbish, call again.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Tried calling to cancel my ticket and they are saying the miles are non-refundable because I book saver level award.

Can anyone confirm this to be accurate?
Was this on Avianca metal? If so, there is a miles redemption option called "Seats on Sale" which is changeable but not refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.